Wildcamping How To Guide 2012

Steve

Don't talk about being murdered on here you'll put many off for ever. The risk being discussed is security of van and contents.
thanks for that :lol-053:
I am new to this from all the people saying be ready to get away I was thinking wtf have I got into :lol-049:

Do not stay overnight where there are "no overnight parking" or "no overnight sleeping in vehicles" signs but, (if you can be bothered), do write/email to protest about the injustice of such signs to whichever council or authority put up them up.

Last edited:
Draw your route!

As you go draw a line along each road you go. Then put circles where you stop each night. Then when you're on your third Scottish Highlands trip you can look back and see where you stopped! Also good to jot down bad roads so you can avoid them the year after!

I disagree here as I can decide to apply common sense and stay the night if I desire. 99.999% of the time there will be no consequence. I have wild camped by now a 1000 nights and only once have I moved because I was on National Trust property and the warden asked me nicely.

It's precisely this arrogant attitude as if you think you can do anything you feel like you want to that spoils it for others. I've been wild camping since 2006 and if a sign says No Camping then it means someone doesn't want you there so why make matters worse? To use common sense would be to challenge properly such signs, not to exacerbate what may already be a difficult situation.
Residents and landowners put up with all sorts of annoyances for long periods of time until they get action: but they do finally get a result. That's what we should be doing, not stamping our feet and doing as we please. Why not be constructive and build a group who can lobby councils and landowners to effect change?

Hi All, been reading the thread with interest as our camping adventures we go mainly wild and off grid camping in our mh as we live in Sweden ,I thought we would make you aware that up here you can wild camp for 3 nights and move on, that!s any where,but that's not to close to people's living area but can be on private land ,it's called old man's rights ( ALLEMANSRÄTTEN ) so if and when your up this way ,you can enjoy Sweden at its Best,Regards ALF.

Arm yourself

I am still in the process of building my own camper and I have been reading lots of stuff on the net about people being threatened or broken into and other nasty confrontations.

Don't keep anything sharp or heavy lying around especially at night, I am going to keep such items by my bed and at arms length along with some "Farb Gel Spray Criminal Identifier"

If any trouble appears will try to make a sharp exit - if you cant you may need to protect yourself.

Or am I being paranoid........??

A couple of cans of tyre weld might in case you get a puncture and fir anyone new a spanner to fit gas bottle so you can change over to the spare one if you run out .

Daily Mail, well it's only to be expected....

I have a small lockknife. I keep it in my ruc sac with a torch, whistle, compass etc etc and I keep it for exactly the same reason: cutting fruit etc when up mountains. I hunted for weeks for the type, a serrated blade which slices through fruit etc with ease, but on simple contact does not cut skin. I was sick of cutting my own fingers! I'm not certain how he was prosecuted because I'm sure we're allowed anything up to a 4 inch blade.
Personally I think the cops have been disappointed they waited all night and didn't get a drunk driver so they were determined to get him for something. Anything. Mind you, don't they have to have reasonable suspicion to search your vehicle?
This whole thing doesn't sound quite right to me.

Well, it was the Daily Mail after all :lol-049:

Tell me, did it have an 8 page centre-spread about how HRH treats her corgi's, a Celebration Coronation Souvenir Voucher and a Falklands War Poster inside also ?

Captain Biggles :plane:

Hi All, been reading the thread with interest as our camping adventures we go mainly wild and off grid camping in our mh as we live in Sweden ,I thought we would make you aware that up here you can wild camp for 3 nights and move on, that!s any where,but that's not to close to people's living area but can be on private land ,it's called old man's rights ( ALLEMANSRÄTTEN ) so if and when your up this way ,you can enjoy Sweden at its Best,Regards ALF.

Mannie,

Did exactly that during summer of 2014, had a great time in your 'Fatherland', over the Oresund Bridge £90 one-way up to 6m length, then £180 over 6m. We stopped in some wonderful places , followed route of the most minor roads anti-clockwise up the East Coast staying at the North end of the causeway to Hasslo Island, a one day tour of Oland Island with an overnight stop in the middle of nowhere, sheer bliss, it stayed light all night long. Jonkoping, Goteborg then Helsingborg to Helsingor. A whistle Stop Tour, much too fast, must do it properly next time and spend far more time there. Some truely wonderful scenery not to be missed.

Thank you to your Fellow Swedes for making our tour so memorable.

Captain Biggles :plane:

In the evening, I find it practical to make a big flask of tea as well as my thermal cup (a really good one that can keep fresh, hot tea drinkable for up to about 8 hours.) Then in the morning I can wake up and move on if need be and my tea is already to hand. If there's no hurry and I'm not having a multi-fruit smoothie I will fire up the Horizon stove (or camping Gaz stove if situation calls for it) for breakfast and after breakfast I'll fire up the Kelly Kettle and renew the flask and cup which will generally see me through the day.

After father's day this year (next week or so) I'll occasionally use my new electric kettle for the tea and the microwave or toaster for breakfast, but probably only on dreich days when it'll make life more comfortable.

In the evening, I find it practical to make a big flask of tea as well as my thermal cup (a really good one that can keep fresh, hot tea drinkable for up to about 8 hours.) Then in the morning I can wake up and move on if need be and my tea is already to hand. If there's no hurry and I'm not having a multi-fruit smoothie I will fire up the Horizon stove (or camping Gaz stove if situation calls for it) for breakfast and after breakfast I'll fire up the Kelly Kettle and renew the flask and cup which will generally see me through the day.

After father's day this year (next week or so) I'll occasionally use my new electric kettle for the tea and the microwave or toaster for breakfast, but probably only on dreich days when it'll make life more comfortable.

Sooner you than using a flask for tea. Got to be freshly made every time.

Hi
Is there such a thing?? I would like a sat nav on an I pad but will use only pay as you go not contract
so.... do you need Wi-Fi to use a sat nav app and will it tell you where you are if not on Wi-Fi?
getting really confused as I need to replace very old sat nav but want to combine it with an I pad....does that make sense?
thanks
gail:help:

Buy some maps or map on your I pad better than sat nav they can send you the wrong way.

say " hi"

always try to be friendly and even helpful if possible to other stayers and always ask if they are wild campers

Tesco Clubcard Holders

Hi I'm new here - One tip I can pass on.
If you have a Tesco Club Card - you can usually park up in their car park. Tried this once at Tesco Lesmahagow (M74) junction with no problems.
I just went in for some shopping and asked the manager if I could park up overnight.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back