Wildcamping How To Guide 2012

In spain take a half litre water bottle and cut it in half. The neck end will neatly fit over the beach shower head to direct water out of the neck into your water bottle to fill your tank from. In portugal all the cemeteries have a tap as some do in other countries.

An extremely useful app. It has been used by Mountain Search & Rescue Teams for a number of years. Now in public domain.

Hi .. Why? Novice!

It's best to look like you are parking rather than camping, otherwise passing motorists see you as a freeloader. Depends where you are wildcamping really, there are places I would have no qualms about a canopy or chairs outside, I'm there to enjoy myself!

Also so you can make a quick getaway in case the local axe murderer stops by, although I haven't had this problem as yet (obviously!).

Haven't looked through the entire post but I hope leave no trace is in there at the top of the list; cos that is just about the most important. It is top of the list for folks to whom "wild camping" goes hand in hand with human powered endeavour not just parking up in a 3.5T van...... I do that to but call it off grid camping or boon docking is quite good as nobody really knows what it means...:unsure:

Don't leave your Grey Waste Water Tank tap open - Keep it closed until you can empty it respectfully - I'v seen Moho's doing this parked up during the day at the busy South Stack car park, Anglesey etc 🤬

Carry a foot pump :)

What is the purpose of the foot pump, apart from the obvious which if you have ever tried to inflate a van tyre with one you, will need to be younger than I to get to 85 PSI which my rears need.

What is the purpose of the foot pump, apart from the obvious which if you have ever tried to inflate a van tyre with one you, will need to be younger than I to get to 85 PSI which my rears need.

Yes, I carry a compact 12V compressor pump. Much easier.

Well, call me a numpty, but a simple guide seems to be a good idea.

Like Smaug said, there are already guidelines for safe boating which are just that - guidelines, and not enforceable by law.
Any idiot can take off out to sea in a boat and get themselves into trouble if they are inexperienced.

Similarly, it is obvious without looking back too far in old threads on this forum that lots of peeps new to the freedom of the road ask very basic questions, such as where to dispose of their black waste, and can be unsure of all kinds of things that can be addressed very simply.

Fazerloz please note: ignorance or inexperience is not a crime. If someone has never done any wildcamping, or is totally new to owning a campervan then some basic guidelines have got to be useful.
I'm with maingate. I nominate you as the person responsible for answering all novice questions about the simple technicalities of wildcamping 🔨

The Keep Britain Tidy campaign doesn't stop people littering, but it may educate the less aware in the right way to go about things, or at least those who are asking the questions in the first place!

It would also save having to answer the same questions that crop up time after time - not a problem doing this, but at least you can point newbies to the guidelines which saves a bit of faffing about.
Exactly the same as this site already does for the POI. No difference, imo.

Lets face it, whether you like it or not this is a free country (well, for the moment! ;) ) and wildcamping exists. Full stop.

All this nonsense about trying to keeping a low profile on it is a joke. This website is dedicated to it, for gawd's sake!

So, the least you can do is provide peeps with some of the basic guidelines ;)

All info before we go on our wild camping tours is forwarned so excellently no nasty mistakes to at least less on them.

I’m new here and get my Motor in a few weeks, and I’ve paid to have an Awning fitted, so confused as to why you say “don’t put awnings out“?

Awnings are for official campsites, rallies, or if you're way off the beaten track where no one is likely to turn up, or you're parked on private land and its OK with the landowners etc. etc.

It's bad form to put out awnings when you're parked up in a public car park, layby or anywhere on a public road system, etc.

Wildcamping in a campervan just requires a bit of respect to be shown whenever you are parked up somewhere not specifically meant for motorhomes in the UK. This includes the generally accepted idea that you should park up for no more than one night in any given public spot, unless you consider it safe to do so without upsetting anyone, or it is specifically allowed by local decree (councils etc.).

If you go to an official campsite then you are usually able to put up your awning and get out all the outside gear, seats, tables, gas bbq, etc. The rules will be set by individual campsites.

Unfortunately the UK is nowhere near as motorhome friendly as our neighbouring countries over the Channel. 🤷‍♀️

I’m new here and get my Motor in a few weeks, and I’ve paid to have an Awning fitted, so confused as to why you say “don’t put awnings out“?

I've used an awning when wildcamping before now (and table and chairs) it depends on the location.

It's fine as long as you are not obstructing anybody else whether they are walking or trying to park. It's quite difficult to find locations in England to do this but we have done it quite easily in remote parts of Scotland.

Yes, I carry a compact 12V compressor pump. Much easier.
If you're going to use a compact 12v compressor pump, make sure it's up to your needs. FWIW, I've burned out two taking the van tyres up to the recommended 70+ psi. I now have a T-Max heavy-duty inflator but it's a lot of weight and a lot of faff to use.

Somewhat unexpectedly, my bicycle track pump is quicker and easier if a top-up of just a few psi is needed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back