Wildcamp a month challenge 2020

Spent most of June and July in my van next to my house as my daughter was shielding and I was was working. Aug we found some lovely new places avoiding the coast and looking for shade. Must get back into the habit of taking photos 🤦🏻‍♀️ 67215D3E-0DE7-4936-AEEE-82963B4B50BD.jpeg83E6E193-A01A-4F09-997B-74E77739DFA5.jpeg

Last edited:
Our only trip out this year in new (to us) van. Derbyshire early August.

Had planned to get away a lot more after that on short local-ish trips, but van is still stuck in lock up at garage waiting for a handbrake cable to be altered and returned from Swansea for its MOT... :confused:

Star Circle, Wirksworth, August 2020

Star Circle Wirksworth-01.jpg

We’re off!

I think I mentioned elsewhere that we planned to get to Scotland Mainland next week, then pootle down towards Inverness.

We were due to leave on Monday but it is forecast to get a bit windy by then and the ferry from Westray to Kirkwall can be a bit exciting in high winds so we managed to get an earlier booking and came over last night.

As for wild camp a month, here is us last night. Regular spot or us so I’m sure I will have posted it before, but it’s September we slept there so it’s our first submission for this month.

3B8833C9-0733-49AA-9E2F-EF6A28351FB5.jpeg

As you can see it was a tad misty!

We over at Skail just now, we may stop here or move on to one of other many spots on Orkney Mainland.

Just found the thread and after our first week away this year off-grid wilding in Wales thought I'd post our nightstop at Strata Florida...we did a week of castles and monasteries/cathedrals.
Now decided to do a week every month doing much the same.....next month is Romans in the Brecon Beacons!!
IMG_2188.jpeg

We stayed here last night. It was convenient with a toilet block next to the car park. Although we went out and about during the day we actually ended up spending two nights there. This is not something we would normally do as we like to keep travelling but because we came over here sooner than planned we are stuck here till this evening.

53FC67A6-2CB5-46AA-86D1-282C92D3E21C.jpeg

First thing this morning this little van turned up and a chap got out in a dressing gown! Odd I thought then he strolled down to the beach for a swim. It’s drizzling, cold and the sea here is alway very cold! Each to their own.

58E74BD6-88CB-4EC0-9986-04D8F8284916.jpeg

Ha ha, could help myself! Our usual spot in Kirkwall (I think this parking space should have our name on it).

We came over to Kirkwall for me to have an Aortic Anurism scan (or something like that). All done, all okay - don’t the come back again!

Fish and chips for tea shortly, then settle down and listen to an audio book. Ferry back to Westray first thing in the morn.

4A4BC9ED-208A-4507-B291-AB1F3C90EC8F.jpeg

The weather has turned very nice now after a wet, Misty morning.

Edit: Couldn’t help myself...

Last edited:
It's good to see this thread firing back up again. Since coming out of lockdown we have been making up for lost time. Because of the anti wildcamping atmosphere we started in earnest with a couple one night pub stops.
IMG_20200719_075104.jpg
July, the view from the Winking Man in Derbyshire.
August, The Craven Heffer in Skipton.
Then we did a couple of forward thinking council carparks in mid August, we did Lytham St Anne's for £5 followed by Fleetwood again for a £5 or £7 (hard to remember when you pay by phone and not coins).
Gaining confidence again we ventured up to Dumfries and Galloway for a week of wild camping at last, plus a stop on the quay for a £5 donation then recycled the tanks down at the castle for another donation
IMG_20200719_075104.jpgIMG_20200831_072201.jpgIMG_20200901_155749.jpgIMG_20200904_080849.jpgIMG_20200904_162526.jpg

Last edited:
I've had to carry on on a 2nd post as the photo's are getting mixed up. After Dumfries and Galloway. A week back at work, then headed over to Norfolk and Suffolk, only to find the council have been very active over there putting up no overnighting signs. So after a night at the Navigation in Derbyshire the rest of the week was a mix of pub stop and council carpark in Norfolk and Suffolk, with only one wild camp in Thetford Forest. Before heading back to Derbyshire for a pub stop near Chatsworth house.
IMG_20200920_161729.jpgIMG_20200930_073953.jpg

Last edited:
Our only trip out this year in new (to us) van. Derbyshire early August.

Had planned to get away a lot more after that on short local-ish trips, but van is still stuck in lock up at garage waiting for a handbrake cable to be altered and returned from Swansea for its MOT... :confused:

Star Circle, Wirksworth, August 2020

View attachment 86660
Looks like coffins in a circle, pagan thing maybe. 😂 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back