Wild camping positive thread photos needed

Yesterday afternoon on Walney Island.
5059EDAC-D734-4D29-A683-A5DC08258ED1.jpeg

Cheers

H

Ruins of farmstead lost in the jungle of the forestry commission plantation in the south of Arran. This is the turntable mechanism for the horse to walk round and round turning the huge cast iron crown-wheel which will drive a small bevel gear driving the shaft that would run into the building probably working a winnowing machine. Even though I knew close enough to where it was, it took 3 attempts pushing through spruce branches, avoiding tripping on brambles or falling on frost covered rotten fallen trees or sliding into ditches and bogs to finally find it again surrounded by forest.

P1050134.JPG

Ruins of farmstead lost in the jungle of the forestry commission plantation in the south of Arran. This is the turntable mechanism for the horse to walk round and round turning the huge cast iron crown-wheel which will drive a small bevel gear driving the shaft that would run into the building probably working a winnowing machine. Even though I knew close enough to where it was, it took 3 attempts pushing through spruce branches, avoiding tripping on brambles or falling on frost covered rotten fallen trees or sliding into ditches and bogs to finally find it again surrounded by forest.

View attachment 90648
It would be housed in a building called a Gin Gang.

That's on my list Steve. Never been there though.
You have to get there, one of my favourite places in Gods country.
I had driven past the turning to get there dozens of times before campervanannie mentioned the place, always call in when up the west coast.
No amenities apart from waste disposal and fresh water but worth the tenner a night for the location alone imho.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back