Wild Camping on Mull?

barryd

Just booked a ferry for August to the Isle of Arran then I thought that later on in the summer we might hop over to Mull. However when I went to look at sailing times etc a message popped up about wildcamping in vehicles not being allowed on Mull and I was directed to this page. https://visitmullandiona.co.uk/guides/camping-and-motorhomes/

Only ever been once many years ago in the car so never in the motorhome. I seem to remember there were a fair few POI though there when I looked but its years ago.

Anyone know what the real story is there and is wilding going to be difficult. I dont mind paying for a nice quiet site perhaps with shore access for the Kayak but half the point of going to the islands is to get away from all that and enjoy a bit of Freedom.

Fidden Farm is an excellent site as sites go. It’s right on a lovely beach and very informal with nice places to tuck your van away. We never had a problem wilding on Mull but that was back before things got too busy. Lovely island with loads of wildlife

It’s a good few years since we were last over there and wild camping wasn’t a problem then with plenty of places to choose from.
But looking at that article it would seem that it no longer seems to be the case

We stayed at Fidden a few years ago and parked up among the outcropping rocks in front of the bungalow a few hundred metres before the farmhouse. Really easy access to the water and away from the main area, which was quite busy.

Cheers

H

Thanks. I Got a similar pop up but not with a link for Islay also advising against wild camping which would have been an even nearer choice from Arran. I have been there before many years ago also in a VW camper and we had no problems but found the island less interesting than Mull or Arran. If we go it will be probably be towards the end of August so maybe things will be quieting down a bit. There may also be opportunities up the coast between Kintyre and Oban if we decide to go for Mull. There are loads of POI still listed for both islands so I think the best thing to do (if we go) would maybe be to book in somewhere for a few nights and get out on the scooter and explore the possibilities for wilding.

We went to Mull last October (2020), did a mix of wild/semiwild camping, with a night at Salen Bay Campsite every 3 days or so to empty/fill and electric hookup.
There were quite a few motorhomes and campervans around even then, don't think I'd want to go in the main season.

How could they stop you resting up after a long drive as stated in the highway code.
rule 91.png

CS owners from the campsite I use in Cumbria recently visited Mull in their campervan.
When I asked them about restrictions they said having a campsite booking was only a recommendation and they booked 1 night on a site then wild camped with no issues.
They also said speaking to othe motorhomers on the ferry most were doing the same, 1 or 2 nights booked on a campsite then wilding.
They stayed at Fidden farm 1 night and stated it was a rip off and crammed.

They stayed at Fidden farm 1 night and stated it was a rip off and crammed.
We visited Iona 3 or 4 years ago and had a look at Fidden Farm site thinking it sounded idyllic but agree with the above - much bigger site than I imagined and absolutely packed. Don't know about the site charges but I can imagine that it's not cheap.Maybe it was different in the early days.....
It can also be a bit of a bit of a nightmare driving along the Ross of Mull duelling with all the coaches going to and from Iona and that's in a car!

Thanks all. I am thinking of Islay now. Just going on gut instinct I think Islay may be less busy end of August and after posting on their facebook group and reading a thread there it might be more welcoming. I have been years ago with the VW boys but cant remember much about it :D

Dead easy to get to from Arran also.

Thanks all. I am thinking of Islay now. Just going on gut instinct I think Islay may be less busy end of August and after posting on their facebook group and reading a thread there it might be more welcoming. I have been years ago with the VW boys but cant remember much about it :D

Well Barry that’s a shame because Mull is a stunning island with lots to offer.
Avoid Tobermory unless getting the ferry and you really won’t go far wrong. Mull is a large island with plenty of idyllic rural locations to spend a night. But unfortunately the NIMBYS who moved there from down south have created problems. Fidden farm near to the Iona ferry is worth a visit with stunning sunsets and real rural feeling to it. And if you change your mind take a trip to Staffa and witness it’s beauty first hand. I am sure you could spend several days on Mull without any issues. As for Arran well you will enjoy your stay there. You can empty your cassette at both whiting bay and blackwaterfoot. Also there are taps 300 yards north of the ferry terminal in Brodick, and in Lamlash both on the pois. Enjoy your stay, but I would strongly advise a rethink on Mull.

I’ve been using Fidden Farm for about 10years and agree it can be busy but if you turn right after the toilet block you can find some quiet spots among the rocky outcrops and avoid the masses. Great paddling for a kayak and when the sunsets and everyone gathers to watch on the beach you could here a pin drop it feels a bit spiritual in a hippy sort of way. Wouldn’t consider it a rip-off and I’m a tight Scotsman.

The last thing I want is to find either island stacked out and us having to use sites so ill have a bit more think about it. I know Arran like the back of my hand as it was like a second home for decades but Mull I only did a whistle stop tour for about four days in the car and Islay about a week or so but both were about 15 years + ago. I do seem to remember Mull being a bit prettier and more interesting the Islay though but one thing we didnt like about Mull on our short visit is that it appeared to be run pretty much by the English and a little bit "Stuffy" and Twee and of course we did stay a couple of nights in Tobermory which was a bit of rip off.

The plan roughly at the moment is now Arran for a few weeks, Islay or Mull and then back to Arran and then home from there. I am a bit cautious of the whole thing though and places being overcrowded. They have never been in the past but we are in unchartered territory this year. I am hoping the sea crossing will put most people off.

We have visited Islay both for work AND for some wild camping with the landrover lot....
Found it largely unspoilt and pretty quiet tourist wise (was September ish from memory.)

Lovely spot to wild camp at the end of distillery Road with, a very pleasant crystal clear watered beach.

20140708_200024.jpg
20140707_210550.jpg
20140707_210922_1.jpg
20140707_211506_1.jpg

Thanks. Bit Torn now. Mull seems to have more going on but Im pretty sure Islay will be quieter. Mrs D does not like bleak islands which is why she likes Arran. I might investigate a week or two on both if thats possible.

Thanks. Bit Torn now. Mull seems to have more going on but Im pretty sure Islay will be quieter. Mrs D does not like bleak islands which is why she likes Arran. I might investigate a week or two on both if thats possible.
Although Islay is a lovely island Mull is more spectacular with its hills including Ben more a Munro. There’s also a hill next to it Beinn Fhadda which I much prefer one of my personal favourites. With over 200 km of roads on mull I would doubt if it will be stacked out. All but the road from the ferry to Salen and the last 3 miles into Tobermory are single track, but I actually prefer them to some the narrow roads on Arran for driving. If you do go Barry I strongly recommend visits to Iona, and Staffa. Wherever you go enjoy yourself, I am sure you will. The biggest problem you may find on Mull in august will be the midges.

Heres a couple of shots from my last visit.
The first Staffa, the second Loch Ba.
4B3157BE-87F5-4CA8-A7D8-8CA00D35124D.jpeg
B07F364B-DC7B-48F9-BB70-DFC3C40D504D.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been going to Mull for over 40 years (either camping or c/van), and usually stay on the lochside at Gribun (road SW from Knock farm), where there is plenty of room.
The site at Calgary bay is good (small vehicles only) but will be very busy this time of year.

Last edited:
I wonder how they will police the Mull rally if it is the case you have to have a campsite booked, probably around 40% of the people there are wild camping.

Thanks. Yes I think on further research and comments Mull might be the better option. Will see how we get on on Arran first, heading up there week after next. Will just see how we feel towards the end of August assuming Arran is as great as ever and not "over subscribed". Midges are a bit of a worry but Ive never had a problem with them on the islands in the past but my experience of Mull is very limited. Certainly been out in the outer Hebrides in August and there were none but its always blowing a gale! :D

If anyone feels like PM'ing me a few gems for Mull I promise ill keep them secret. There are a fair few on the POI though anyway. Ideally regarding the roads I would prefer to park up the van for a few days at a time and use the scooter but of course just how far we get on that will depend on the weather.

Went to Mull end Sep/early Oct last year. Only a few of the then POIs had escaped the signs. B8073 from Calgary bay to Killiechronan now has no unsigned stopping places. No motorhomes or campervans at Calgary Bay. New 3-van ‘Aire’ at Ulva Ferry.

Killiechronan Campsite is cheap basic and an excellent location.

285096C2-C63E-49C8-B38B-986B20FC1673.jpeg

The numerous former POIs on the coastal part along B8035 were now problematic as the estate who owns the land was reputed to be reporting Wildcampers to the police.

Fidden Farm was closed but may now have reopened.

No signs at Bunessan last year, but limited space.

Ardlanish Weaving Mill basic MH stop cheap, great views towards Jura, but limited services, the track down to field could be tricky for larger vans.

335DAC6C-378E-4EAF-A1CA-68DBE65E95A7.jpeg

POIs along A849 near Glen More were still ok.

Lochbuie free MH area provided by the Estate (further along road past Old Post Office) is at the end of narrow single track road with few and small passing places. Final access down a track of deep loose stones could be difficult for longer vans to get back out…our 6m van barely made it using traction control.

Prior to crossing to Mull all campsites claimed to be fully booked, but we had no problem finding space by just turning up reasonably early in the day, or ringing ahead the same day. We had to use sites more than intended owing to difficulty of finding decent wild spots.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back