Wild Camping on Mull?

I feel privileged to have experienced Mull and the islands in the 60s and 70s before tourism really took off. Happy days when the only problems were wet magnetos and midges!

Calgary Bay Isle of Mull
rsz_calgary_bay_isle_of_mull.jpg

Went to Mull end Sep/early Oct last year. Only a few of the then POIs had escaped the signs. B8073 from Calgary bay to Killiechronan now has no unsigned stopping places. No motorhomes or campervans at Calgary Bay. New 3-van ‘Aire’ at Ulva Ferry.

Killiechronan Campsite is cheap basic and an excellent location.

View attachment 100384

The numerous former POIs on the coastal part along B8035 were now problematic as the estate who owns the land was reputed to be reporting Wildcampers to the police.

Fidden Farm was closed but may now have reopened.

No signs at Bunessan last year, but limited space.

Ardlanish Weaving Mill basic MH stop cheap, great views towards Jura, but limited services, the track down to field could be tricky for larger vans.

View attachment 100385

POIs along A849 near Glen More were still ok.

Lochbuie free MH area provided by the Estate (further along road past Old Post Office) is at the end of narrow single track road with few and small passing places. Final access down a track of deep loose stones could be difficult for longer vans to get back out…our 6m van barely made it using traction control.

Prior to crossing to Mull all campsites claimed to be fully booked, but we had no problem finding space by just turning up reasonably early in the day, or ringing ahead the same day. We had to use sites more than intended owing to difficulty of finding decent wild spots.

Really helpful post, many thanks

Killiechronan Campsite sounds great. maybe a bit like official wild camping? Is there black waste disposal though? Water is not a problem as I can carry 40 litres on the bike but emptying the cassette is essential if I am going to stay more than two to three days.

So it sounds to me then like I was right. Wilding on Mull is pretty much a thing of the past but its still possible on Islay. Bit worrying that a lot of places were saying they were full in September and we are thinking of going late August. Maybe we could do two weeks on Islay and two weeks on Mull after Arran.

Will keep researching. We leave in just over a weeks time.

Really helpful post, many thanks

Killiechronan Campsite sounds great. maybe a bit like official wild camping? Is there black waste disposal though? Water is not a problem as I can carry 40 litres on the bike but emptying the cassette is essential if I am going to stay more than two to three days.

So it sounds to me then like I was right. Wilding on Mull is pretty much a thing of the past but its still possible on Islay. Bit worrying that a lot of places were saying they were full in September and we are thinking of going late August. Maybe we could do two weeks on Islay and two weeks on Mull after Arran.

Will keep researching. We leave in just over a weeks time.
Here’s some info Barry.
I know this site there are toilets but I don’t remember an Elsan point.

Here’s some info Barry.
I know this site there are toilets but I don’t remember an Elsan point.

Yes, there are toilets but a hundred meters or so along the road near the estate buildings. No cassette disposal. We used a campsite occasionally for emptying, although. I think there are full water and disposal services at the little Ulva Ferry Aire.

In September the ground was reasonably firm, I suspect the grass cover is fairly shallow with stones or sand beneath, it’s right next to the coast.

I did prepare a report for Mull proposing how they could establish a network of little 2/3 van Aires as a sort of managed Wildcamping solution to what I have to say had been some pretty bad behaviour last year. Local businesses, estates, Forestry. etc could have hosted these turning a problem into revenue. However, although thanked for the effort by the new council leader it didn’t make any progress. The local community council has disproportionately strong vested hospitality-business and campsite-owner representation.

Enjoy your visit, it really is a wonderful island.

I'm sure I read something about which way round to tour Mull or Arran due to the coaches, but you would still end up following or meeting them head on, not which is best, head on I suppose.

I find Arrans roads too rough, and Mull is a nicer place.

I'm sure I read something about which way round to tour Mull or Arran due to the coaches, but you would still end up following or meeting them head on, not which is best, head on I suppose.

I find Arrans roads too rough, and Mull is a nicer place.

Arrans roads are pretty grim but from my short trip to Mull about 15 years ago we still preferred Arran, in fact we ended up there after four or five days in hotels on Mull. I tried to join a Mull group on Facebook yesterday and it looks like Ive been rejected! :D They can feck off then.. :D

As said, pretty much anywhere we go with the van it gets left parked up and we use the bike. On our last four month trip to Europe we did 4000 miles on the bike and about 3500 in the van.

Arran was potentially considered last year as a diversion to the closure at the rest and be thankful!
On Mull we stopped at the Dervaig viewpoint, which meant we were able to get to Calgary bay fairly early the next morning as it does get very busy.

There were plenty of people wilding below Ben More but we had booked into the Ardlanish weavers for a couple of nights so didn’t stop.

The large loose pebbles at Loch Buie caught me out for a while

We visited Mull earlier this month I certainly got the impression that wild camping is being discouraged in the West coast and islands at present so we stuck to campsites. The Salen one was full but we enjoyed a few days on a lovely site at Crannich in Glen Aros. We've wild camped near Calgary Bay in the past but just not sure how acceptable it is now
PXL_20210625_210708401.jpg

Yes I found that site. Looks nice like a CL but not near the sea for the kayak. I'm having some second thoughts to be honest. It sounds like it's going to be busy and maybe not that easy to find pitches on sites and they don't even want me on their Facebook group! :(

Will see how Arran goes first but I have a feeling we will end up back in the lakes. Better weather anyway
Possibly :D

Arran was potentially considered last year as a diversion to the closure at the rest and be thankful!
On Mull we stopped at the Dervaig viewpoint, which meant we were able to get to Calgary bay fairly early the next morning as it does get very busy.

There were plenty of people wilding below Ben More but we had booked into the Ardlanish weavers for a couple of nights so didn’t stop.

The large loose pebbles at Loch Buie caught me out for a while

Don’t take this the wrong way but why would you even consider parking on the beach?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back