Wild camping near NEC Birmingham

A while back I did email CAMRA, I suggested that for very little effort a note/symbol could be added to a pub's entry in the good beer guide. This could indicate their willingness for MH stopovers.

Not surprisingly CAMRA replied with a No, I guess their members do not need the potential income.

I also wrote to CAMRA and my response from them was slightly more positive,saying that they would list camping if available.

My pal ran a town centre pub with over 12 cask beers from artisan brewers.
CAMRA wouldn't list it as it was a popular motorbikers pub with a lot of old bike memorabilia.
What about individual members write to the local branches of the Licensed Victuallers Association?

I also wrote to CAMRA and my response from them was slightly more positive,saying that they would list camping if available.

My pal ran a town centre pub with over 12 cask beers from artisan brewers.
CAMRA wouldn't list it as it was a popular motorbikers pub with a lot of old bike memorabilia.
What about individual members write to the local branches of the Licensed Victuallers Association?

What is that saquatch? (sorry for ignorance) - do all pubs have to be a member of that association?:D

CAMRA = CAMpaign for Real Ale (cask conditioned ale rather than lifeless fizzy keg beer)

To be honest, I would just ring up the pub beforehand. You'll very rarely get refused. I don't think they need to be listed in a guide.

I have stayed at quite a few pubs in the past. The only time I have got refused recently was at the Toby Carvery at Stonebridge mentioned above. The previous manager had advertised free stopovers in a motorhome magazine and being near the NEC they have been swamped so the current manager had to end it. Like the POIs, if they get "listed" they can get abused or over used. I think most publicans are happy to boost trade with occ visits by the odd van but if the car park gets filled with vans say at weekends, it may drive regular punters away and they get a bad name or lose custom during the week.

I do not want to keep on about Brit Stops but they are doing exactly what we are talking about. They manage a list of pubs and farms etc where you can stop for free, in the hope you will buy some of their goods. But you do not have to. Take a look at their website. They produce a book similar to France Passion.

Just got back from the NEC after staying overnight all on our own in the car park at Shustoke Reservoir. Some traffic noise from the road which runs past, but very secluded, and a lovely walk around the reservoir. Loads of geese and coot there at the moment. 20 mins max. to get to the NEC in busy morning traffic.

Marydot

Stopped here last weekend. Seems OK, last vehicle left just after dark, none after that. Maybe nearby houses keep the boy racers, doggers etc. etc. away.
Was surprised at the night-time traffic on the main road considering it's now a B road, (was one-time main Nuneaton Birmingham section of A47 Birmingham-Great Yarmouth Trunk Road.) http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12962&d=1366541202

Attachments

• Shustoke Res. Showing old A47.png
    Shustoke Res. Showing old A47.png
    735 KB · Views: 84

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back