Wild camping in Scotland - Illegal CCC June

shortcircuit

I have posted this on the CCC web page "In the current magazine Mailbag it is suggested that "In Scotland it is illegal to wild camp in any motor vehicle" subsequently confirmed by the editor. First I have heard of this and are you sure?"

I saw that too. To misquote a phrase famously used in the Profumo scandal trial in the 1950s, "well they would say that, wouldn't they?"

Are they talking about rules under the current lockdown or as a general observation?

The editor also gets mixed up in saying that it’s only possible in the Trossachs, where there is a permit scheme but it’s only in certain places. It’s annoying that a club which many people who park and stay in their motorhomes off site are members of should push such falsehoods with their wish to corral people into their Club sites, which personally I find similar to prison camps with endless rules and officious warders.

The editor also gets mixed up in saying that it’s only possible in the Trossachs, where there is a permit scheme but it’s only in certain places. It’s annoying that a club which many people who park and stay in their motorhomes off site are members of should push such falsehoods with their wish to corral people into their Club sites, which personally I find similar to prison camps with endless rules and officious warders.

It’s an unwritten rule bill, we tolerate their bias against us, the fact that they do nothing to help us with our obvious problems in this country. In return they simply take our money, and don’t mention us. I know they will claim that they are not responsible for this letter, it’s simply a readers comments and opinions. But we all know why this was published. I have written to them, and the way I am feeling right now I think I will leave them. They are a disgraceful stupid organisation insulting many of their members, and I these times I find that astonishing. Instead of insulting us, treating us like pariahs they and the other even bigger gang should be helping us. After all we are members of their petty little clubs, and each year our numbers are growing. Well they were, possibly not after reading this pile of utter garbage :mad:

I have posted this on the CCC web page "In the current magazine Mailbag it is suggested that "In Scotland it is illegal to wild camp in any motor vehicle" subsequently confirmed by the editor. First I have heard of this and are you sure?"

I've always understood that the land reform legislation permitted 'wild' camping....
But excluded doing so in a motorised vehicle... Though by and large a blind eye was turned.

The 2003 Act includes three main provisions: the creation of a legal framework for land access, the community right to buy, and the crofting community right to buy. The first part of the act codifies into Scots law the right to universal access to land in Scotland. The act specifically establishes a right to be on land for recreational, educational and certain other purposes and a right to cross land. The rights exist only if they are exercised responsibly, as specified in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code. Access rights apply to any non-motorised activities, including walking, cycling, horse-riding and wild camping. They also allow access on inland water for canoeing, rowing, sailing and swimming.

I've always understood that the land reform legislation permitted 'wild' camping....
But excluded doing so in a motorised vehicle... Though by and large a blind eye was turned.

The 2003 Act includes three main provisions: the creation of a legal framework for land access, the community right to buy, and the crofting community right to buy. The first part of the act codifies into Scots law the right to universal access to land in Scotland. The act specifically establishes a right to be on land for recreational, educational and certain other purposes and a right to cross land. The rights exist only if they are exercised responsibly, as specified in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code. Access rights apply to any non-motorised activities, including walking, cycling, horse-riding and wild camping. They also allow access on inland water for canoeing, rowing, sailing and swimming.
My understanding too, often referred to as the freedom to roam something which doesn’t exist in England,

The two big clubs have never endorsed wild camping , but then again why would they want too? Sainsbury’s don’t advertise the benefits of Tesco,, they are businesses seeking and protecting income streams

It’s an unwritten rule bill, we tolerate their bias against us, the fact that they do nothing to help us with our obvious problems in this country. In return they simply take our money, and don’t mention us. I know they will claim that they are not responsible for this letter, it’s simply a readers comments and opinions. But we all know why this was published. I have written to them, and the way I am feeling right now I think I will leave them. They are a disgraceful stupid organisation insulting many of their members, and I these times I find that astonishing. Instead of insulting us, treating us like pariahs they and the other even bigger gang should be helping us. After all we are members of their petty little clubs, and each year our numbers are growing. :mad:

The thing that I find most annoying about it is not the letter, which is simply the misinformed opinion of a member, but that the editor agrees and compounds the error.
The club is run by elected representatives of the members. Personally I would not be prepared to put in the necessary effort to change things and would probably never get elected anyway as those few who bother to vote are maybe entrenched in different ways. Just a shame when this organisation should be helping make things better for us as members.
I also think that there is some confusion between wild camping as in a tent and staying for the night in a motorhome in maybe a layby or car park.

Wee live in scotland and wee wild camp not heard your not allowed

Wild Camping has a specific meaning under Scottish law. Sleeping in a motorhome is not what they mean by Wild Camping.

There is a law in Scotland that specifically permits what they call Wild Camping. In tents, bivvy bags or hammocks, but not in motorhomes.

That doesn't mean that sleeping in a parked motorhome is illegal, but it does mean that it is not covered by the law that specifically allows wild camping.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back