Wild Camp a Month 2019 Challenge

The weather was so nice on Wednesday 13th November that we thought we would spend the night at Cullen and we stopped at CR Cullen by the Kirk to clock up 11/11; it was a bit sloping but nice and quiet. At least it was; in the early hours we were awoken by the hail stones bouncing on the metal roof of our van, which was followed some heavy rain and subsequent flooding.

Cullen20191114_105035.jpg

We made an early departure, but stopped by the viaduct to watch the waves and surf rolling in before we headed home. Of course, when arriving home the sun came out, and mostly dried off the flooding, but we were still glad to be in the warm again...

11/11

well I may as well get mine posted up while I am here rather than wait longer and miss it.

Been mainly Yorkshire this month and just had a cracking few days on the beach with the dogs.

First attempt at the beach was to a place son in law remembered when he was young. It was down a country lane that at times seemed like a causeway going across a lake as water on both sides. Road turned to a single track with some massive potholes/small lakes before ending at a locked gate a little way off the beach.

I couldn’t stay there as I was blocking the road if the farmer came so turned round rather cautiously. It took a five point turn so gawd knows how much it would have been if I wasn’t in a Sprinter. I ended up back on the main road and found a nearby lay-by that was peaceful enough and had an uneventful night.
2B5924D3-8617-4FDF-A18E-826C0E8162C7.jpeg
The next day was doesn’t at Ravenscar, have never been there before and views were good. Was too far for me to get to the beach though but dogs still enjoyed a few walks
FB52D967-7916-4E14-A78F-BAE3B1078506.jpeg
Moved on in search of a beach within easy access and found on not far past Whitby. Dogs loved in even when it rained. I was a bit slow dodging the incoming tide a couple of times and was half way up my shins in water but great fun. Ended up going on there a few days
1AD43199-27CB-4ED3-AFE3-6E52DAE004DB.jpeg
56434B28-7B3E-4D20-A875-0CD4459303D7.jpeg
3938881E-CBDF-4979-BCD5-7C1F9278B0F1.jpeg
86CE3A6B-CE4C-4317-BFD0-9BCD51C19C16.jpeg

11/11 - 1 to go.
Out and about through the Lakes yesterday and today. It is my local area but really don't get the chance to see it during the spring and summer as I know what the roads are like.... chaos!! Stopped at a few spots but only took pics from overnight stop.

Nov.jpg

Nov2.jpg

Nov3.jpg

Nov4.jpg

Nov5.jpg
Nov_view.jpg

Nov_feet.jpg

10/10 Oops - forgot to post October:
18th Ravensroost Wood, Garsden, Wiltshire for the Friday night;
19th The Potting Shed, Crudwell for the Saturday night (I just asked! and I didn't have to buy a meal because they were too full!

and while I'm here and I'm not sure when I'll get away again this month:
11/11 9th The Filly, Brockenhurst - excellent meal, very very doggy friendly (they put a plate of dog biscuits on the table!)

Still don't take many photos and I don't know how to upload them anyway.

December will be easy as I'm off to Cornwall. Laters

Did you get any problems stopping at New Brighton after the ban on using the end of the promenade.
We parked on Coastal Drive (the road parallel to the prom) . No issues except for traffic noise (it appears to be a rat run for boy racers, so not ideal really). There was another motorhome further along too.

Not many posts last month, but here is the list of who has.

Brucews 11/11
Herman 11/11
Nabism 11/11
Igofafish 11/11
Wheelie 11/11
Jillygumbo 11/11
Campervanannie 9/11

Ok last moth and that's the end of year 2. Good luck.

I'll get this one in now, but I'm going away over Christmas and New Year so there will be more.

07/12 The Volunteer Inn, Great Somerford, Wiltshire - a lovely dog friendly pub. Great walk through Seagry Wood too in the morning.

I forgot to include that I slept in work's car park on the 06/12! following the Christmas do! That counts too, don't it.

Last edited:
Put me out of my misery, I've used that carpark, but it was in a summer with a lot of other vehicles on it.

Did you get any problems stopping at New Brighton after the ban on using the end of the promenade.
The signs only went up at the south end of the main road where it turns round and comes back on itself. You get a few semi reg vans parked down near the morrisons end on the road set back. Ive done the main car park at fort perch a few times since and havent had any grief form the racers, but have seen them on previous visits.

So we were heading to Aberdeen for a few days but stopped over at Huntly to look around the castle, and ended up staying the night as it was so quiet; normally this play area is busy, but with heavy rain and flooding it was abandoned. Super spot though, and some lovely walks nearby; there is a car park down by the river Devron before you get to the castle that can be nice to stop over in the summer if not too busy. That's 12/12 done, 2020 here we come.
Huntly20191219_151523.jpg
Huntly20191219_151426.jpg

Not sure if we will get away again before New Year as the Grandkids have started arriving to spend Christmas with us, we may have to sleep in the van to make room!!
Happy Christmas to you all,
Bruce & Pat

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back