Why did nobody tell us?

I Would have just pinched the beer
View attachment 73896

When we were at Oxford a Hymer camped next to us had gone off and left his side hatch open, I didn't want to close it in case there was a reason for him leaving it but I saw him and told him he had left it open, he didn't even say thank you, he just walked off back to his van while his Wife just stood there listening to the music
I probably would have called him a tosser, but being deaf I'm always getting told off for not hearing people say thank you. 😊

I would have thought it had been left open deliberately to get at the booze and would have laughed at the idea of having a mobile bar in the boot.

Wouldn't have entered my head that it had sprung open of its own volition and you needed to be told. Sorry.
I can understand that but it was morning (a bit early) and in Cite Europe aire (a bit dodgy) to be either drinking or leaving a locker open and unattended. 👀

Might be worth knowing ;
Cite Europe isn't actually an aire its just a carpark area for Motorhomes, and the
nearby Police station is a Police barracks or lodgings, and not used much from
what I could see when walking past.
There's a borne at the Carrefour Fuel Station 200m distant.

Last edited:
I find the French people very helpful and most willing to help prevent bad incidents occurring.
I would have thought it had been left open deliberately to get at the booze and would have laughed at the idea of having a mobile bar in the boot.

Wouldn't have entered my head that it had sprung open of its own volition and you needed to be told. Sorry.

My thoughts too.
Laughing at the beer & English stereotype in the thought it was known the door was open?

Also the French are much, much more proactive than the English in preventing people having mishaps by intervening when possible.

If it was definitely French people smiling I'm sure they thought they were smiling with you, not at you.

I can understand that but it was morning (a bit early) and in Cite Europe aire (a bit dodgy) to be either drinking or leaving a locker open and unattended. 👀

Don't understand 'a bit early' to be drinking? Have you never tried a spot of Baileys in your porridge or a glug of whisky in the morning coffee? Kick starts the day!

Don't understand 'a bit early' to be drinking? Have you never tried a spot of Baileys in your porridge or a glug of whisky in the morning coffee? Kick starts the day!
Obviously not been to a meet🍷

Perhaps they were surprised that anyone bothered taking beer back to the UK
these days, taking account of current exchange rates and common enough special offers.
The days of overloaded belly scraping Transit vans are long gone it seems.

Might be worth knowing ;
Cite Europe isn't actually an aire its just a carpark area for Motorhomes, and the
nearby Police station is a Police barracks or lodgings, and not used much from
what I could see when walking past.
There's a borne at the Carrefour Fuel Station 200m distant.
We have stayed there many times now. 2 years ago it was closed for an outdoor event and we spent the night directly opposite the police station/barracks and there were comings and goings all the time.
Still a few migrants wandering around and checking out the vans. The wooded area to the side has been cleared now with no bushes to hide in, so it feels a lot safer.
We always get a late train & stop there when we arrive & also before we get an early train back on the Sunday morning.
We have on board migrant deterrents called Sparky & Harry.
IMG_20191007_092348.jpg

The Police Barracks/Station/Lodgings or whatever, varies in activity levels, I stop
for up to 3 nights there (I visit someone near Calais) at times it seems abandoned
at other times a bit of coming and going, possibly depends on activities going on in
the area. No sign of any migrants early this year, but it's never really been a problem
in my experience sure they would wander around eyeing up vehicles, but apart from
one incident of half heartedly trying a caravan door and one of another character launching
himself under a coach, I've not witnessed any other notable incidents.
I'm certain the vast majority do not want petty criminal records for theft or violence
directed towards tourists and public, and bikes being nicked at nearby aires could be
down to anyone, locals or even fellow M/homers! Strangely I don't know of anyone's
bike going missing at Cite Europe, where you might expect the opposite.

The situation has similarities with 'gassing' incidents, more in the imagination than the
reality as far as M/homers are concerned.

I have told vanners that they have left keys in the door locks, lights on , awning lights on cassette locker door open roof lights open and aerials up when driving off, Just courtesy really, lockers open could be intentional so would have to assess that one if I saw it ?

Along the same lines.
I was out at around 1.30am walking my dog, when I came across a car with it's boot & passenger door open.
It had started raining & I decided to knock on the house door to alert them, the man of the house opened the door a crack & I told him about his car, honestly, the look of relief on his face let me know that I'd done the right thing.
He rushed out & shut the car up, then called me back & gave me a bottle of wine!

So it's always worth doing what you hope others would do for you.

Phill

Although you can't beat the look of relief when you shout at someone
to stop when they're just about to pull away still attached to the EHU.
Or similar, but with the steadies down.
Most rooftop Sat. dishes are supposed to auto retract, haha alas not a certainty!

Last edited:
Jameson’s more like. Always remember going to a dinner party and the guests bought bottles of whiskey must be something to do with lack of grapes over there.

I have told vanners that they have left keys in the door locks, lights on , awning lights on cassette locker door open roof lights open and aerials up when driving off, Just courtesy really, lockers open could be intentional so would have to assess that one if I saw it ?
Was there anybody laughing about it ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back