Whitby. No more

Gin palace on wheels

Mickymost thinks my description is harsh, but if you had a vehicle, with a starting price of £40,000 new, going to in excess of £100,000, parked up near you wouldn't you compare it to those motor yachts tethered to harbours all over the coast line, and wonder why they don't spend some of their wealth leaving them in the proper place, because I think that is how many see us. I should point out that my old crate is 23 years old, but people don't differentiate I'm afraid.

I seem to remember Scarborough were considering an "aire " type of arrangement in Seamer ...miles away from any of the attractions and people thought the idea great

You can bet your last dollar that anywhere else in the town became out of bounds another important distinction between the French attitudes and our own authorities

Thank goodness it didn't happen , like turkeys voting for Christmas

People couldn't see as far as that still some folk want to be parked up with 101 other people I don't ...and on that basis I would appreciate people winding their neck in asking for something others haven't been consulted on and total disregard for the consequences,

Channa
You may be right about an aire at Seamer but I don't know about that one. The ones I do have a memory about were to set up permitted overnight parking in five car parks under the jurisdiction of Scarborough Borough Council. One of them in Whitby. I, and others, were involved in the proposals.

Parking plans motor on - Whitby Gazette

2018_05_31_074432.png

It fell through because that decision, by full council is, under our democratic system, only a recommendation to the cabinet holder responsible for such matters. The original cabinet holder was Councillor Andrew Backhouse who, contradictorily publicly expressed his pleasure at the decision (or recommendation) while at the same time, according to emails obtained under the FoI, was proposing bans on motorhome overnight parking.

Andrew Backhouse owned, at that time, a caravan park which was, according to his register of interests, owned either by him or by his wife (at the time she was also a councillor) or by his parents. It has since been sold – I guess at a better price because of the motorhome restrictions.

His place as cabinet holder was taken by Councillor Penny Marsden whose first action was to decide on the recommendation made by the full council for a trial one year permitted overnight parking. She thought that the recommendation probably went against planning considerations and she refused the trial..

This, with other things, led to the eventual resignation of one SBC councillor and the passing of a motion of no confidence in Scarborough Council by Whitby Town Council. Andrew and Penny were both implicated in the double dipping expenses scandal. Both were alleged to have claimed duplicate allowances from the two councils they sat on. They got paid twice for the same thing.

You've made it obvious that you're one of those opposing the setting up of aire type facilities and you have a very good reason – two very good reasons. The first is that if the council set up an aire then it might then reasonably think that we should use it and, 2 – that those of us wishing to set up aires have no mandate from quarter of a million motorhomers to attempt to do so.

That's right. All attempts to set up cooperative organisations for advancing the nterests of motorhomers have failed. So you have to go your way of not rocking any boats but I have to go my way of promoting aires too.

My personal feeling is that the only way to balance our freedoms is to go the continental way and try for the setting up of airs. In every place where an aire has been set up – Canterbury, Lytham, Blackpool, North Devon and more (including Fleetwood?) it has been successful in that there are no complaints reported from any of those places. Whether all motorhomers would use the aires I've mentioned – well, I don't know. But most of us use aires abroad and pay lip service to the principle here.

I support the serting up of a cooperative organisation and obtain a collective mandate but attempts have always failed. John Thompson's motorhome tourism organisation was the best attempt but it failed – lack of support. As ever.

Mickymost thinks my description is harsh, but if you had a vehicle, with a starting price of £40,000 new, going to in excess of £100,000, parked up near you wouldn't you compare it to those motor yachts tethered to harbours all over the coast line, and wonder why they don't spend some of their wealth leaving them in the proper place, because I think that is how many see us. I should point out that my old crate is 23 years old, but people don't differentiate I'm afraid.

Maybe I misunderstood you so I apologise! I thought you were refering by Gin Palace as the bottom end of the Motorhome market i/e £2500 type motorhomes not £40k plus up to £100k plus land yachts which the average guy cant afford without 10 years finance....

regards Mike

Tom .Cllr Backhouse is the chap I remember with campsite interests and spoke with fork tongue as you say

SBC success it seems at any level is consistently inept ......rotten to the core I don't think is an inaccurate description.

Channa

If motorhomes are so bad for the economy of a town then explain why France goes out of its way to encourage motorhomes to its towns and villages,
By providing places and facilities to stop, often for free, and when there is a charge it is often only a few euros

To sell more BAGUETTES of course.

I'm on a temporary holiday site at Whitby and can confirm that the town definitely does not need the custom of motorhomers.
The town is absolutely rammed and is a goldmine for local businesses.The money that we put into the local economy is relatively small change at peak season.
I can see why local councillors are so anti motorhomes,we are not needed at this time of the year anyway, over the winter is a different matter.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

S.O.D.D.E.M !
Society Of Dismal,Disgraceful, Elderly.Motorhomers.

I'm on a temporary holiday site at Whitby and can confirm that the town definitely does not need the custom of motorhomers.
The town is absolutely rammed and is a goldmine for local businesses.The money that we put into the local economy is relatively small change at peak season.
I can see why local councillors are so anti motorhomes,we are not needed at this time of the year anyway, over the winter is a different matter.

Can't disagree , constantly get the impression many motorhomers are not 'spenders' anyway . Think Phil on here has had problems with people not wanting to pay for organised meets !
Apart from the folk week most of my visits to Whitby are/were off season . I'm sure the businesses I use will all survive without my money .
Still seems stupid not to use an asset [Back Marina carpark] . This lies empty all night apart from the odd motorhome

If motorhomes are so bad for the economy of a town then explain why France goes out of its way to encourage motorhomes to its towns and villages,
By providing places and facilities to stop, often for free, and when there is a charge it is often only a few euros

Very sad about Whitby. I used to park there 25 years ago in an old transit van in the side streets for the music festival, behind the railway station. France is much bigger than the UK and probably has a smaller population. Because of their revolution , land and rules are viewed differently. If there are no signs saying you can't do it, then you can do it. In England, unless there is a notice saying you can do it, then you can't. "Get off my land!", enclosures etc. Also French aires were encouraged to develop the French motorhome industry. Very sensible and pragmatic. Having a German Hymer and wild camping in England just isn't cricket I'm afraid.

Very sad about Whitby. I used to park there 25 years ago in an old transit van in the side streets for the music festival, behind the railway station. France is much bigger than the UK and probably has a smaller population. Because of their revolution , land and rules are viewed differently. If there are no signs saying you can't do it, then you can do it. In England, unless there is a notice saying you can do it, then you can't. "Get off my land!", enclosures etc. Also French aires were encouraged to develop the French motorhome industry. Very sensible and pragmatic. Having a German Hymer and wild camping in England just isn't cricket I'm afraid.

I agree to a certain extent.... BUT....

There are still plenty of spots to enjoy IF you don't park up like a knob...
AND avoid honey pots... And avoid publicising them on the Web/forums etc.

Sheer weight of numbers buoyed up by Internet promotion means, that certain areas WILL end up being over used and abused resulting in signs/barriers etc.

I was always under the impression the French model was to accommodate the increase in motorhomes "a solution" considering it is the largest camping market outside the USA Five times the land mass a similar population and a social history which lends itself ownership doesn't seem engrained in the French psyche

The mix in the UK is different not as much land overpopulated by comparison and there needs to be a sense of realism. Councils are strapped for cash libraries closing, public toilets, care homes, education etc I cant see them investing in a minority i.e motorhomers and then a minority within that Wilders I think politically the return on investment they cant justify

One other significant difference where the UK has missed a trick is to the best of my knowledge a lot of the French aires have been built using or partly funded by EU money . The Uk has never seemed to go that route for some strange reason didn't request money a couple of years back for the floods ! nor do they seem to engage in rural development grants and other funding streams

Not only are local authorities nonreceptive to motorhomers ( arguing campsites cl et al) but there seems a total apathy for making it happen

Channa

I was always under the impression the French model was to accommodate the increase in motorhomes "a solution" considering it is the largest camping market outside the USA Five times the land mass a similar population and a social history which lends itself ownership doesn't seem engrained in the French psyche

The mix in the UK is different not as much land overpopulated by comparison and there needs to be a sense of realism. Councils are strapped for cash libraries closing, public toilets, care homes, education etc I cant see them investing in a minority i.e motorhomers and then a minority within that Wilders I think politically the return on investment they cant justify

One other significant difference where the UK has missed a trick is to the best of my knowledge a lot of the French aires have been built using or partly funded by EU money . The Uk has never seemed to go that route for some strange reason didn't request money a couple of years back for the floods ! nor do they seem to engage in rural development grants and other funding streams

Not only are local authorities nonreceptive to motorhomers ( arguing campsites cl et al) but there seems a total apathy for making it happen

Channa

You hit the nail on the head with that post Andrew

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back