Which route?

Is it 343m high from the ground, but 1000m above sea level maybe?

We had an odd experience a few miles south of there. Driving down the road, for no apparent reason, the smoke alarm activated. So we pulled over, did a check, found nothing and carried on.

Coming back a few weeks later, in the same place, the same thing happened again.

The Fageole Summit near juction 27 1100m re below

The Fageole Summit, at an elevation of 1,107 m, is one of Europe's highest motorway passes. In addition to the constraints caused by its altitude, this area features various characteristics that promote the formation of snowdrifts, namely vast snow-covered zones (given the expanse of surrounding barren plateaus) and excavation profiles. The northern exposure and steep slope serve to exacerbate conditions whenever driving over the pass proves difficult. Two incidents involving snowdrift formation in 2005, both lasting 3 days (January 26-28 and February 15-17), resulted in the closure of this motorway (the A75) to all traffic. In response, it was initially decided to install snow fences. The layout of such fences, whose impact is highly sensitive to wind direction, entailed an analysis of meteorological data provided by the weather monitoring station located right at the Fageole Summit, combined with results from a field survey conducted among personnel with the Regional Roads Directorate (DIR). This effort led to a draft proposal calling for the installation of fences along a length of over 2 km. For 6 years, this design was closely monitored and improvements were introduced. However, since the efficiency of snow fences is so highly dependent on wind direction, it quickly became apparent that in light of past experience, the planting of wooded strips would offer a better solution in terms of winter serviceability at this site, where winds vary from northwesterly to northeasterly. Back in 1990, a 260-m wide wooded strip had been set up along the then RN9 national highway (since upgraded to the A75). This strip, positioned today 25 m from the pavement, performs its function exactly as intended, though its lower branches have started to die and thinning out the growth has become necessary. Encouraged by this experience, the present article will discuss the A75 case study, in providing an assessment of the specific practices adopted to control snowdrifts. Focus will also be placed on the current project to replace existing fences by woodlands as a more durable solution with greater capacity for integration into the landscape.

Altitudes are very easily checked on Google maps. Just use the Terrain map view. Of course you won't get the bridge itself but you'll get the land it leaves/lands at.
I understand that not everyone believes Google :ROFLMAO:

There is an Android app called My Elevation that is based on Google Maps data and that works very well.

Came through Rouen 3 weeks ago, tunnel works are on with a single lane in use but no problems. HGV are being diverted before the tunnel.

Works on my laptop. Needs "View topography and elevation" to be turned on (not sure whether the default is on or off). Doesn't show contours if you're zoomed in too close.
I'm using the app on Android.

That probably explains it.

I'm using the app on Android.

That probably explains it.
I can get the contours on my Android tablet. Three display options: Default - Satellite - Terrain. Choose the latter. As on the laptop, the contours do not show if zoomed in close (and are less visible if zoomed out too far). I have not found a way of getting spot elevations.

Is it a requirement to have winter tyres on all French roads over 1000m alt.?
I don't think that is the wording of the rule, although it may well be that all roads over 1000m are in areas where you need winter tyres.

Winter Tyres requirement in Europe, as well as Winter Tyres in some countries (from memory and knowledge).

Specific areas in europe, typically mountainous or above 1000m, are more prone to snow. These are identified when driving into the area with signs depicting a wheel with snowchains or phrase indicating such. In some countries whom have many large regions of high altitude, such as Germany, are introducing additional rules stating vehicles are to use winter tyres over the winter period November to April.

The areas are shown with additional information of what periods the rules apply on Good Travel Maps. One that I have is the AA European map and provides other useful knowledge about every european country regarding rules of travel in a vehicle.

Government websites also provide same info but in varying degrees of easiness to digest.

Having reduced my skiing exploits in recent years the latest regulations for countries around the Alps requires updating - so those with the knowledge can add to this reply.

As a reply to the original question:

Bypass PARIS anyway you want. Use the ring roads to get past it, or take a longer trip to explore other cities on the outskirts Depends if you have time to do them.

Get to the central road running down France is a good option as it is toll free most of the way and quite nice places to stop enroute.

Agree with previous posters about Neufchatel but why pay? - a number of free aires are on the route that are easy and convenient. The WC app has them listed - find them when you need as you travel.

The Millau bridge is impressive - again there is an aire below in the town - I recall payment required if in the centre aire near the river, but a few miles away are alternatives if you wish to use them. The climate in the valley is changeable at quick notice but more likely to be better in warmer seasons.

Enjoy the trip to Italy - Go visit Sicily if you can.

We're heading to Italy nxt week, but Mrs G wants to call in to the south of France (and I want to drive over the Millau bridge), so which route is best? From Calais, Left of Paris, right of Paris or round the ring road. We'll be using the Toll roads so hoping to do it in 2 jumps to Millau, so any rcomended Aires about half way?
When going down to Brive area I always do Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, Orlean, two pay motoway sections Boulogne to Abbeville and then around Orleans.............. if time is not important you could always use the free motorway (A20) from Vierzon and then cut across to A75 to Figeac / Rodez, but the roads across are not that good but its far more scenic.......

When going down to Brive area I always do Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, Orlean, two pay motoway sections Boulogne to Abbeville and then around Orleans.............. if time is not important you could always use the free motorway (A20) from Vierzon and then cut across to A75 to Figeac / Rodez, but the roads across are not that good but its far more scenic.......
One of my fav routes and areas, Figeac/Rodez cutting across the national parks. As you say, only if time is not an issue.

Things where going so well, till the satnag tried to take us on a height restricted section of the Paris ring road near Nanterre. We had to reprogram it to head for Versailles and avoid Peages.
Spotted the Autoroute to Orleans and took that, made it to Vierzon just before dusk.

Do you mean that dreaded duplex tunnel Groyne? We did it by mistake and shat myself for ten kms. :confused:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back