Which route?

groyne

We're heading to Italy nxt week, but Mrs G wants to call in to the south of France (and I want to drive over the Millau bridge), so which route is best? From Calais, Left of Paris, right of Paris or round the ring road. We'll be using the Toll roads so hoping to do it in 2 jumps to Millau, so any rcomended Aires about half way?

Probably fastest route would be Paris ring road to west of Paris. I can't stand that route though, so I do, Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, then on to A10/A71to Clermont Farage ( :p) and then A75, part toll part free. I reckon 50% of the time it's as fast as the Paris route.
As per usual for Rouen, worth having a good look at the route through it first, the rest is pretty straight forward, I think. Done it so many times I've probably forgotten any tricky bits.

Very good aire here, https://goo.gl/maps/BVJKtE8kvPxtoKQF8 with camping section away from general parking.

I’d go portsmouth -Cherbourg
Then Tours, clermont-Ferrand to Montpellier (via Millau)

But if you’ve already booked the ferry then I’d go Troyes, Orleans, clermont-Ferrand.

But then I just hate Paris and prefer open roads.

Tunnel already booked Boris, if it was warmer I'd do the same Tidewatcher. I'm torn between the Rouen (which I've done) and the Troyes routes, Which one avoids the most towns and cities? I'll probably end up taking my chances and going via Paris.

Beware of the low emission zone in Rouen.

Once you've crossed the Viaduct, if you're planning an overnight stop in the vicinity, consider a night to the west of the viaduct off the D992. There is an OR on the POIs labelled OR Millau. It's a peaceful layby looking directly at the viaduct and you can follow a path that leads directly beneath the viaduct. It's a great spot to stop.

Probably fastest route would be Paris ring road to west of Paris. I can't stand that route though, so I do, Rouen, Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, then on to A10/A71to Clermont Farage ( :p) and then A75, part toll part free. I reckon 50% of the time it's as fast as the Paris route.
As per usual for Rouen, worth having a good look at the route through it first, the rest is pretty straight forward, I think. Done it so many times I've probably forgotten any tricky bits.

Very good aire here, https://goo.gl/maps/BVJKtE8kvPxtoKQF8 with camping section away from general parking.
I second above! We come round Rouen on the d6015 (keeping River Seine on right) although think the road is closed till 31/12/22

Use the ViaMichelin app or Google maps to offer you a choice of routes.

ViaMichelin will give you route toll and fuel costs (entering appropriate vehicle data) so you can weigh up time saved v cost of route and then decide.

Don't get a good view or sense of height anyway, with the height of the barriers. Would be much more fun with no barrier.

Best, most impressive views are from below.
Better though in a motorhome with the raised driving position and U.K. right hand drive and in the slow lane of the French motorway. You can always stop at the motorway aire on the north end.

Northbound side more impressive than southbound side though as northbound overlooks the town to the east and the valley dropping down.

Heres the view from hard shoulder in my Scania. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_2495.jpeg

Don't get a good view or sense of height anyway, with the height of the barriers. Would be much more fun with no barrier.

Best, most impressive views are from below.

Seconded (y) particularly when taking the D992 up the hill out of Millau then the D999 towards the Roquefort factory :)

We use an Aire that is about 90 mins south of Calais for first night, at Neufchatel. Hook up and shower/toilet for 12 Euro. Just up the road is the supermarket (Auchan) and a macky Ds. From there then head on past Paris on the west side via toll road to Gannat. The road then on from Clermont is toll free (except bridge) for most of the rest of the trip south toward Perpignan. Something I learned just last week though, you need winter tyres when driving through the massif central area. Which includes the bridge. It is over 1000mts in places. You may already know this. (y)

Be aware there is 30 mile stretch which is prone to snow 1000m high, we came over 2 weeks ago no snow anywhere apart from that stretch, seen a few snow chains obligatory signs so check conditions before the attempt it.

We use an Aire that is about 90 mins south of Calais for first night, at Neufchatel. Hook up and shower/toilet for 12 Euro. Just up the road is the supermarket (Auchan) and a macky Ds. From there then head on past Paris on the west side via toll road to Gannat. The road then on from Clermont is toll free (except bridge) for most of the rest of the trip south toward Perpignan. Something I learned just last week though, you need winter tyres when driving through the massif central area. Which includes the bridge. It is over 1000mts in places. You may already know this. (y)

I`m afriad i need to correct you there, it`s only 343mts ( just over 1200ft), if it was a typo then please ignore this post.

the A75 over the millau viaduct is a glorious route but due to the weather this time of year i would save it for the return journey , the A75 reims/troyes/dijon/lyon route would be better i think always enjoy that ever since about 25 years ago they enabled a motorway route through lyon , before that the motorway would just cease as you got to the city and then pick you up again the other side

I`m afriad i need to correct you there, it`s only 343mts ( just over 1200ft), if it was a typo then please ignore this post.

I beg to differ Wooie. There are height markers all along that stretch of the motorway. Ill have a look on street view to see if I can find one.

The height I was referring too is the road not the bridge itself. Going through the Massif Central, (the route we use and suggested) is well over 1000mts and was mentioned on a different forum regarding the legal requirement of winter tyres. As we only travelled this route in the warmer months I have never given it a thought. (y)

A75 Height.JPG

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back