Where would you go?

Countryside with no crowds during school hols in the year of the 'staycation', well that only leaves northern Scotland I think, maybe some parts of East Anglia but someone else would have to advise

Countryside with no crowds during school hols in the year of the 'staycation', well that only leaves northern Scotland I think, maybe some parts of East Anglia but someone else would have to advise

Im not sure even Northern Scotland would be a good idea if you can believe the rantings of over tourism on the FB NC500 group.

I would maybe suggest some remote scottish Islands or perhaps up where I live at the top of the North Yorkshire Dales or maybe into Teesdale or further west towards Eden. The two least populated regions in England.

Bikers with banjoes
I'd pay to see that
Maybe try the Didmarton Bluegrass Festival next year then has hosted by Ogri MCC on Kemble airfield. Unfortunately canceled this year.

Maybe try the Didmarton Bluegrass Festival next year then has hosted by Ogri MCC on Kemble airfield. Unfortunately canceled this year.
We'll be there. Didmarton is one of the biggest on the circuit and the Ogri club made all the festival goers most welcome before the lurgy shut everything down. AFAICT, this might be the only festival we regularly attended prior to the lurgy that's survived ...

Plenty to see in Wiltshire and Somerset. Just have to get off the main roads.
Not sure I could spend a few weeks there though. 😂

I spent a few days at The Bruce Arms near Pewsey recently Mark (tent camping).

Great place especially for bikers. Many 'interesting' characters!

We'll be there. Didmarton is one of the biggest on the circuit and the Ogri club made all the festival goers most welcome before the lurgy shut everything down. AFAICT, this might be the only festival we regularly attended prior to the lurgy that's survived ...
You may have bought Coffee/drinks from us then as we have had the coffee stall next to the real ale bar there for years.

I prefer a bit of Bluegrass guitar myself.

But not 18 hours a day!
We were open from 6am until the last act of the day finished around midnight. Some would stay up all night playing though. Bloody musicians. ;)

You may have bought Coffee/drinks from us then as we have had the coffee stall next to the real ale bar there for years.
Almost certainly did. We can't make a proper latte or flat white in the van and so your stall would have been a welcome bit of luxury! We'll be sure to say "Hi" next year...
After 4/5 days of banjos and mandolins 18hrs a day that's plenty to last me for the next 12 months. 🤣
We were open from 6am until the last act of the day finished around midnight. Some would stay up all night playing though. Bloody musicians. ;)
Although I play both banjo and mandolin, my main instruments are fiddle and guitar. However, most of the jamming I did was around where we were parked and in the 'square' outside the Ogri club, so I'm not one of those 'bloody musicians'! We had a fantastic festival with the only downside being that Jan lost her eternity ring where we were sited and several hours of searching were fruitless.

Almost certainly did. We can't make a proper latte or flat white in the van and so your stall would have been a welcome bit of luxury! We'll be sure to say "Hi" next year...
The last Bluegrass at Ogri was our Swan Song as far as working shows is concerned. The next one we will be there just to have a good time along with everybody else. (y)

I don't expect to have the place to myself, just avoid places where we have to be shoulder to shoulder and finding anywhere to park is impossible.

Plenty to see in Wiltshire and Somerset. Just have to get off the main roads.
Not sure I could spend a few weeks there though. 😂
We spent a week around the quantocks earlier this year and loved it, we found some great places to park.

Northumberland maybe?

You could even go to the location recently posted by @Stu2 recently.
I had looked at Northumberland, someone else had suggested it, I don't know the east coast so well so it might be nice to go somewhere completely different.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back