What size inverter?

Veloman

I'm looking to buy an inverter and am wondering what size would be best to invest in.
At the moment it would be used for 400w Remoska and possibly a 900w camping kettle. As I understand it I could buy a cheaper modified sine wave inverter for these as they are resistive loads. So I'm guessing a 1000w modified sine wave would do the job.
However, discounting the much higher cost a 2000w true sine wave would future proof things a bit.

Could anyone tell me if it is less efficient to run a 2000w at only 400 or 900w as opposed to a 1000w running at 400w or 900w? At the moment I only have one 100ahr battery but plan to add an additional one at some stage (or Lithium if my premium bond comes up!)
TIA

I'm looking to buy an inverter and am wondering what size would be best to invest in.
At the moment it would be used for 400w Remoska and possibly a 900w camping kettle. As I understand it I could buy a cheaper modified sine wave inverter for these as they are resistive loads. So I'm guessing a 1000w modified sine wave would do the job.
However, discounting the much higher cost a 2000w true sine wave would future proof things a bit.

Could anyone tell me if it is less efficient to run a 2000w at only 400 or 900w as opposed to a 1000w running at 400w or 900w? At the moment I only have one 100ahr battery but plan to add an additional one at some stage (or Lithium if my premium bond comes up!)
TIA
You would get more wasted power using a 2000W Inverter when a 1000W would be powerful enough, but it wouldn't be an enormous difference. It is always best to get an inverter that will do the job, ideally with a bit to spare but without going overboard. (some folk get a massive inverter, way bigger then they need, because it was only a bit more then the one that would have been fine).

A 1000w inverter will be no use on a 900w kettle, many a few do not handle a surge and dont put out anywhere near what it says on the tin, a 1500w would or should cover you, do you not have gas for a kettle, and the battery will be killed doing what you want, may get away with 2 lead carbon batts with out to much trouble.

I have a 2000 watt modified sine wave dometic for sale , brand new last week cost me £775 , nothing wrong with it I just ordered by mistake , it’s for sale on our sister site Motorhomer, if your interested in a cash price send a private message to me,
It’s on eBay now so the price would be very favourable if I don’t have to pay there selling fees, it has full fitting kit instructions and a remote control , it is also a switched model so when you have 240 v coming into the van the inverter doesn’t come on .Andy

Remoska are great but will take a lot out of your battery as will that kettle if their all you need the invertor for I'd forget it. You'll only end up buying more batterys and solar panels to keep batterys charged. A double skillet will replace the remoska and just a plain whisling kettle on a gas ring

We don't all think the same way but I would only buy an inverter if there isn't a none electric alternative, it seems pointless to me to buy the kit then the means to use it and have a gas hob and oven taking up space and not using it not to mention the extra weight and money spent

Remoska are great but will take a lot out of your battery as will that kettle if their all you need the invertor for I'd forget it. You'll only end up buying more batterys and solar panels to keep batterys charged. A double skillet will replace the remoska and just a plain whisling kettle on a gas ring
Agreed, We seem to be going overboard on inverters and induction heaters and the like.
When we bought in 2010 no solar and 1 battery.
When we planned more time and more wilding and foreign travel then refillable Lpg and solar were an advantage (some would say necessary)
That was 2013....Yes we upped to 2 batteries in 2020.We have a 150watt inverter which did see some use charging a laptop.
But no need now with usb charging.
Yes each to their own with clever coffee machines and remoska slow cooker induction hob etc
yes ok with lots of solar and now lithium

This seems to be a popular one:

or this one:

Regards,
Del

Thanks for the advice guys. I ran out of gas earlier this year and had difficulty replacing it and thought an inverter might be useful as a back up if nothing else, On reflection and reading the above comments perhaps an inverter would be just one more complication and goes against my motto of "keep things simple"

If your touring long term, especially in the UK its maybe worth having a backup for Gas. I use an 11kg Gaslow which I fill at LPG pumps but I also carry a 6kg Calor backup. Generally ill use the Gaslow when there are plenty of LPG stations about but if I am going to places were there are very few LPG stations or none Ill use the Calor and keep the Gaslow as a backup. That way I never run out of gas. (You can generally find a 6kg Calor anywhere)

I do have a small inverter but its only used for powering small stuff like laptops, phone chargers, electric toothbrushes. Good bit of kit. I am also of the school of thought that if it at all possible make sure everything runs on either 12v or Gas.

Thanks for the advice guys. I ran out of gas earlier this year and had difficulty replacing it and thought an inverter might be useful as a back up if nothing else, On reflection and reading the above comments perhaps an inverter would be just one more complication and goes against my motto of "keep things simple"

Yes, that is my mindset too. We carry two 13Kg gas canisters and we usually set off with one full one and a part used one. But I managed to get two empty canisters from Gumtree for a tenner. I sold one for a tenner and filled the other. That means for a long trip I can leave the part used one at home, and take two full ones.
https://2045.co.uk/2018/03/25/gas/

I have a small inverter, but it hasn't been used for years. We use much more efficient car chargers for powering PC's etc.

For backup I've one of these takes up little room and boils our kettle as fast as the dometic hob

Please remember that your inverter will draw a VERY LARGE current from your 12V battery.
If you have a 1000 Watt inverter it will take about 85 Amps which will require very thick supply cables.
It will effectively flatten a 100amp hour lead battery in much less than an hour, my guess is perhaps 30 minutes.
A Lithium 100 amp hour battery is much better as you can take more of the charge from it, certainly over an hours use.
I have a 150 Watt inverter which will charge my ebike and run low power devices.
Gas is, in my opinion, a much better option for all heating requirements. For the costs of a large inverter, cables etc and extra batteries you can buy a lot of gas.

For backup I've one of these takes up little room and boils our kettle as fast as the dometic hob
That's jogged my memory! I've a really nice Optimus 111 primus stove in the loft from my tent camping/motorcycle days. I've kept it as it is a beautiful bit of kit that is worth far more than I would probably get for it. It would make a good means of emergency cooking and I could use it outside too. Ah nostalgia!

It's a shame that the world is in such a terrible state just now that we have to go back to 60s think, sadly we can't walk along the railway lines with a sack scavenging for coal.

Please remember that your inverter will draw a VERY LARGE current from your 12V battery.
If you have a 1000 Watt inverter it will take about 85 Amps which will require very thick supply cables.
It will effectively flatten a 100amp hour lead battery in much less than an hour, my guess is perhaps 30 minutes.
A Lithium 100 amp hour battery is much better as you can take more of the charge from it, certainly over an hours use.
I have a 150 Watt inverter which will charge my ebike and run low power devices.
Gas is, in my opinion, a much better option for all heating requirements. For the costs of a large inverter, cables etc and extra batteries you can buy a lot of gas.

I searched high and low for gas powered microwaves and hairdryers but couldn`t find them anywhere so went down the inverter route.

Being able to use the microwave is very convenient and the wife being able to use the hairdryer has improved my chances of a longer life massively :)

TIA
As it happens I was about to advertise for sale a 1000 w modified sine wave inverter which I have replaced with a 1500 w Pure sine wave. If you want to talk about it please do get back to me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back