what do you put in the water

So now it’s Summer again I’m going to re-fill the water tank , I have used ‘milton’ (baby bottle steriliser) in the past in the first tank full but wondered if anyone has a better idea or do you even bother, I never drink the stuff but may cook with it. but most likely just washing/toilet.
Tap water from the mains has a small amount of chlorine in it. That's all you need, as long as you have been scrupulous about only putting drinkable water into the tank.

Do you mean you never drink water, or that you drink bottled water? Apart from being expensive and an environmental disaster, bottled water is REALLY unhealthy for four different reasons:

1. It absorbs endocrine disruptors from the plasticisers in the bottle.This is worse in warm storage.

2. It can have toxic chemicals in the water (they try to filter when bottling, but it sometimes fails)

3. Bacteria can breed in the water in the bottles, especially if they are not stored in cold, dark conditions.

4. Bottled water is full of microplastics, small enough to pass into your bloodstream.

Problems 1, 2 and 4 can mostly be avoided if you tip out the botted water and refill the bottle from a mains water tap, or even from your motorhome's water tank.

I do drink water but only from a mains tap not via the tank in the van, I never buy bottled water for the reasons you stated, I’m only really concerned because the locking filler cap was missing and I worry someone has pissed in it. :giggle:

Tap water from the mains has a small amount of chlorine in it. That's all you need, as long as you have been scrupulous about only putting drinkable water into the tank.

Do you mean you never drink water, or that you drink bottled water? Apart from being expensive and an environmental disaster, bottled water is REALLY unhealthy for four different reasons:

1. It absorbs endocrine disruptors from the plasticisers in the bottle.This is worse in warm storage.

2. It can have toxic chemicals in the water (they try to filter when bottling, but it sometimes fails)

3. Bacteria can breed in the water in the bottles, especially if they are not stored in cold, dark conditions.

4. Bottled water is full of microplastics, small enough to pass into your bloodstream.

Problems 1, 2 and 4 can mostly be avoided if you tip out the botted water and refill the bottle from a mains water tap, or even from your motorhome's water tank.

I reuse plastic water bottles all the time. Have done for years. I have one right now right next to me. A Morrisons blackcurrant bottle now used as a water bottle.

I did google it and of course there are all sorts of warnings most of which seemed to be from people with an agenda. Then I found this. https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/the-health-hub/sustainability/plastic-bottles/

Completely contradictory. We used 5 litre plastic bottles in the van for drinking water all the time. Never had any ill effects. Are we maybe worrying too much about this kind of thing?

I do drink water but only from a mains tap not via the tank in the van, I never buy bottled water for the reasons you stated, I’m only really concerned because the locking filler cap was missing and I worry someone has pissed in it. :giggle:
It wasn't me, I can't reach that high, a big boy did it and ran away.

I reuse plastic water bottles all the time. Have done for years.

That's fine. Resused bottles are pretty harmless. Its new ones that have the issues. I just question why you'd choose to have the hassle of filling and carrying bottles instead of turning on a tap?

re we maybe worrying too much about this kind of thing?

The 'hydration' industry is spending millions to make us buy totally unnecessary plastic bottles of water that are bad for us and for the planet. That is something we should all worry about.

That's fine. Resused bottles are pretty harmless. Its new ones that have the issues. I just question why you'd choose to have the hassle of filling and carrying bottles instead of turning on a tap?

The 'hydration' industry is spending millions to make us buy totally unnecessary plastic bottles of water that are bad for us and for the planet. That is something we should all worry about.

Convenience. I have one in the car also. If I knock the one over in the house, office or bedroom it wont spill.

Yes I agree about using plastic bottles for just one use. Very bad for the environment but using my old Blackcurrant bottle over and over again lessons that I guess and I would buy the blackcurrant anyway.

I used to buy Lucozade orange as the bottle had a leak proof membrane on them but the slightest squeeze overcame it so handy to have as a driver, but Liz kept throwing them out so I gave up and just got screw top water bottles, I only use bottled water for my morning cuppa mint tea so I'll not worry too much.

I have a 100ltr tank for water but only use it for washing, after a bit it starts to stink slightly so i flush well and refill, dont put more than 10/20 ltrs in it as i carry two 5ltr drinking containers for tea coffee or somerimes topping of the toilet tank or filling the 12v hand wash unit in the bathroom.
they go hand in hand, or so im lead to beleave keep them soft ok. pj

So now it’s Summer again I’m going to re-fill the water tank , I have used ‘milton’ (baby bottle steriliser) in the past in the first tank full but wondered if anyone has a better idea or do you even bother, I never drink the stuff but may cook with it. but most likely just washing/toilet.
Just ordered Puriclean for the freshwater tank, and DScale for the descaling of the Truma Water Heater from Clear Tabs. £23.80 total cost, including P&P

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back