what do you put in the water

guerdeval

So now it’s Summer again I’m going to re-fill the water tank , I have used ‘milton’ (baby bottle steriliser) in the past in the first tank full but wondered if anyone has a better idea or do you even bother, I never drink the stuff but may cook with it. but most likely just washing/toilet.

I have never cleansed water tanks on narrow boats or motorhomes. And I use the water for drinking. In 60 years or so I have never had a problem.

When necessary I would drain the tank at the end of a trip if the water was going to stand for a while, then refill and use.

If you're concerned I suggest you fill the tank from empty, allow it to stand for a day, flush the pipes, empty the tank and refill.

The chlorine traces in the water will kill any nasties.

I've had this MH for three years and although I could be wrong, have not seen the need to use anything. The tank looks and smells clean, and there are no black bits in the water out of the taps. I don't drink it, just used for washing and brushing teeth.

Having said that, the van is in use every day all year round, so the water is never still for long.

But I'm starting to think it might not hurt to flush the system out anyway.

Puriclean twice a year, motorhome now 17 years old, had it from new and still drink water straight from the tank, no problems.

1 X 400g tub does 2 doses i.e. 1 year so £7.50 per year to keep it good is not a lot of money IMHO.

Puriclean once a year for us as well. We don't use the water for drinking though.

I occasionally use citric acid, go for a drive to shake things around in the tank, and flush the system afterwards and then refill but this is not an annual consistent thing more of an on a whim thing because somebody in a forum says it's a good idea! :)

Don't use additives.

We use the tank water for drinking and never had a problem but careful to only use official drinking water taps and where taps are clearly separated from taps for other purposes.

Drain occasionally and refill, in Bodmin not much chlorine in water but never drink, though, but do clean teeth with it but no problem in 17 years from new. We also are careful to only use official drinking water taps and where taps are clearly separated from taps for other purposes though have got it wrong on occasion.

I have used Puriclean once in the 7 years I have had the van and the tank was spotless inside when I looked before. We drink the water from the tank and are still alive and well but I do drain the tank before I refill it if it has been stood for more than a couple of weeks

Hi ya,
I sometimes put 2 cap fulls of Milton in an over flowing water tank that has been drawn up to & through the taps a cpl of times a year.
I’ve never had any issues or problems so It probably doesn’t need it,Just for piece of mind really 🤷🏻‍♂️

Never put anything in it. We used to drink it out of the tap but dont anymore. Just use 5 litre plastic bottles which we refill for drinking water now.

We used to do that then we noticed a green algae growing in it so we buy 1 litre bottles now.

Never had a problem with the five litre ones although I should probably replace them more often than I do. I think until last year we were still using some we picked up in France about five years ago. :D

If your water tank is black it should not grow any algae. They only grow in sunlight, or just ambient light let inside the camper. In plumbing we were taught that all the water in the UK taps contains chlorine specifically to combat 'germs'. I never use any additive to my mh tank. We drink it, wash with it, cook with it and have never suffered any illness as a result. I do drain it every time before we return home, and the driving home sloshes any remaining dregs down (or in AutoSleeper's case where they make water run uphill) to the waste tank.
Putting Milton in it won't do any harm, except to your pocket. Go ahead if you like. If you have a black tank, that is. If you have a transluscent tank, even inside, it would be a good idea.

If your water tank is black it should not grow any algae. They only grow in sunlight, or just ambient light let inside the camper. In plumbing we were taught that all the water in the UK taps contains chlorine specifically to combat 'germs'. I never use any additive to my mh tank. We drink it, wash with it, cook with it and have never suffered any illness as a result. I do drain it every time before we return home, and the driving home sloshes any remaining dregs down (or in AutoSleeper's case where they make water run uphill) to the waste tank.
Putting Milton in it won't do any harm, except to your pocket. Go ahead if you like. If you have a black tank, that is. If you have a transluscent tank, even inside, it would be a good idea.
We were not talking about algae in the tank but in re-used water bottles.

Puriclean or one of their Aqua products for me. If you are always filling with tap water it should stay ok so long as being used and topped up. The additives (is it chlorine or fluoride I forget?) in the tap water should keep everything fresh. I sometimes use water from springs so will use a leaner after that as I will drink from the tank 👍

Another Puriclean fan.

Once a year
Day 1- Drain both tanks.
Fill the fresh water with Puriclean solution.
Leave it overnight. (fresh tank Puriclean / waste tank empty)

Day 2 - Pump Puriclean through each tap / shower to give pipes a clean;
Collect Pi=uriclean in waste tank.
Fill fresh water tank with fresh water.
Leave overnight (fresh tank fresh water / waste tank Puriclean)

Day 3 Drain waste tank.
Pump water through each tap / shower to give pipes a rinse; Collect water in waste tank.
Fill fresh water tank with fresh water.
Leave overnight (fresh tank fresh water / waste tank rinse water)

Day 4 - Drain waste tank.
Pump water through each tap / shower to give pipes a second rinse; Collect water in waste tank.
Drain both tanks.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back