What a welcome sight!

Tonybvi

Came across this sign walking around our local nature reserve today - what a welcome sight after all the recent negativity up here about motorhomes and wild campers. They have even put in a proper chemical toilet disposal point.

DCED8627-BAF6-4050-A1B7-E243CCD5C7FC.jpeg

We had a long chat with the national park rangers while we were there and said what a good idea and thanked them profusely. They will pass it on to their bosses. What was interesting was that they cover a large area including some of those areas that have received such bad publicity. They said that it was nowhere near as bad as the press had made out and were hoping to offer more overnight places within their area. I raised the point about hoping people didn’t abuse the facility and apparently so far so good - it has been well respected so keep fingers crossed.
It is Dinnet in the Cairngorm National Park.

9 out of ten cats will behave, but there will always be one who cannot be trained,looks good and if folk put some dosh in say least a fiver there then may be more spring up around the country, campsite owners may not like this but to bad.

A great start. I also saw various public loos on Arran that had been taken over by the community, after the Council cuts, having a donations box. Some had outside taps and CDPs too...
Ditto for pub stops - I always tell the landlord that their overnight policy brought me there.

On a different point, does, "only use one space when you park" equate to "ginormous 8metre motorhomes not welcome" ? :unsure:
(asks a VW driver... :whistle: )

Problem with pub stops is many like me dont do the devels dens 😂 well here they always end up like the OK coral with a gun fight/fisty cuffs and a bottled face, not a place for a fam/kids, and as for english ones, well many i went into would not serve with my accent even though im British by birth, and if they did the place went silent.

If we put a donation in anywhere that's open to cars as well as motorhomes I put the money in an envelope with a note saying that we are in a motorhome. Or for an online donation I always thank them for allowing overnight parking
I agree completely. As the quote from Edmund Burke says "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Perhaps a bit over the top in this case but the same principle applies. If responsible campers go about their business saying nothing then the only ones noticed are the irresponsible ones.

We had a long chat with the national park rangers while we were there and said what a good idea and thanked them profusely. They will pass it on to their bosses. What was interesting was that they cover a large area including some of those areas that have received such bad publicity. They said that it was nowhere near as bad as the press had made out and were hoping to offer more overnight places within their area. I raised the point about hoping people didn’t abuse the facility and apparently so far so good - it has been well respected so keep fingers crossed.
It is Dinnet in the Cairngorm National Park.
My father and I were in a Forestry car park recently and would have loved to have spent the night but it wasn’t part of the “Stay The Night” scheme. We were just leaving when a chap from the next car said “You’ve picked a great spot for the night!” I told him we were just leaving as we were not allowed to stay over night in this car park. He told us that we would be OK for one night...everyone stays a night. He then went onto say that he worked for nature.scot and they run the car parks for the Forestry Commission (or whatever they are called this week) He told us we were fine to stay. So we went on to discuss the issue of waste left by campers and that we had never seen toilets dumped in the wild. He said it happens but not that often. The problem gets worse the closer the parks are to Glasgow. The tent campers next to us and a whole load of unbagged rubbish under their car. He tied a black bag around their wing mirror. The next morning, the bag had items in it, but was still laying under the car with loose rubbish next to it. I think motorhomers get bad press for others. We take our rubbish away.

A great start. I also saw various public loos on Arran that had been taken over by the community, after the Council cuts, having a donations box. Some had outside taps and CDPs too...
Ditto for pub stops - I always tell the landlord that their overnight policy brought me there.

On a different point, does, "only use one space when you park" equate to "ginormous 8metre motorhomes not welcome" ? :unsure:
(asks a VW driver... :whistle: )

8 meters is not that long. I’ve found that the doors can be closed a lot quieter than on a swish bang😉 Recently, I could not believe how many times the van next to us got in and out of their van and had to SLAM the doors every time. I mean, 56 times in 30 minutes is a bit much. I kid you not! I mean, if you know you are going to be in and out a few times, do you need to close the door fully? Or get more organised.

We do it to annoy the folk in the huge motorhome taking up half the carpark 😂😂😂🤷‍♂️
I've only got a 7m van...so please stop slamming that bloody door! ;) Used to have Transporter work van. Great van...but too small for me to holiday in. They do look great though...and we all need to thank the heritage of the VW for doing so much for the past time. PLUS!...soon...swish bang will be a thing of the past. Self close is now here!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back