Were is the best place to get a good sat nav for home and eorope please

I use Xgoody, cheap Chinese as i call them, they are cheap and you can replace them 4 times and still not pay as much as a branded name, I buy with the intention of renewing every 2 years, but I been using last one for over 5 years with out a problem except it needs updating as say's i'm in fields on new roads, I might buy a new one for summer.
good info here mine is a nozatec just updated today

with a good face book group for problems and updates

That video is very misleading. Since 2017 the maps have been arranged differently, and the best method of installing them has changed as a result.
Follow the map update instructions in the Facebook group's files area. Don't do it the way it is done in the video.

Yea as expected running spy infested windows. 😩Is no one doing a open source update or unit which can run on linux or pure android etc.

I’ve tried all the iPhone apps; Maps.me, google maps, CoPilot and others whose names escape me now and I reckon if you want a good navigation system then you can’t beat a dedicated navigation system. A phone is too small to see on your dashboard and doesn’t give enough info. A tablet is difficult to locate without obstructing your windscreen view. Tom Tom or Garmin is the way to go I reckon. Tried and used both for years, sometimes side by side and I prefer Garmin. Others will differ. Folk on here will rave about Chinese Sat Navs which are cheap as chips but I didn’t get on with them mainly because it’s not simple or easy to load up 3rd party POIs. Maybe things have improved and no doubt you’ll get some good advice with your enquiry.
Happy Travels,

Pat
In partial almost total agreement
  • Phone too small but
  • I have a 6 in Tablet which is Good
  • 10 in Tablet yes too too big
But a sensible sized proper satnav is my preferred option for UK/Europe.
Provided you can import POIs

I also (as others) use maps.me and download the maps before setting off No internet needed whilt travelling
It does also work as a satnav and I plan to use it on my 6 in Tablet in USA and Canada

A small point, my sat nav is 5", my present phone is 5.7", the previous one (which I've still got) is 6".

Another vote for Garmin (I think).
Mine dates form 2004 when they had a tiny screen & cost 300 quid.
Apart from directing me down farm tracks & across fields it is working perfectly.
Oh!, I almost forgot, it once tried to take me over a cliff in Morocco & in spite of updating, it still thinks there’s 50mph roadworks on the M25.

i got a " navpal " with igo maps 2 year ago. it was advertised with free lifetime map updates.
the problem is i can not get updates as promised.
the seller wont even reply to me now.
tony

I used an old iPad for motorhome navigation until recently. I now have Apple CarPlay which is brilliant.

I don't update because i'm not a whiz kid, it's easier (for me) to buy a new one every couple of year
Updating takes about 10 minutes the first time, less when you've got the hang of it. Far easier than going through the hassle of ordering a new one, unpacking it and chucking away the packaging.
Comprehensive map update instructions on the Facebook Group. And it is worth updating the maps twice a year.
However, if you have old old ones you don't need, I would appreciate one.
Not to actually use, but to test firmware updates on. You can't buy old ones like that any more.

Yea as expected running spy infested windows. 😩Is no one doing a open source update or unit which can run on linux or pure android etc.
Windows CE that isn't even connected to the internet.
Do you expect Microsoft will be going though rubbish tips to extract the data in a decade's time?

i got a " navpal " with igo maps 2 year ago. it was advertised with free lifetime map updates.
the problem is i can not get updates as promised.
the seller wont even reply to me now.
tony
The updates from the Facebook group will almost certainly work.

I have 3 Tom Toms and think them great never had any other make so can't compare but never had a problem getting anywhere with Tom, bought all mine from John Lewis over the years. Never undersold,

I do not see the need for the dimensions of my van being input to a sat nav I just use common sense, if a road looks iffy or a bridge too low I just ignore the sat nav at that time and avoid the presumed hazard. My latest Tom Tom is 5 years old and has lifetime updates on mapping I just connect it to my Computer and let it update. Easy peazy , I love being able to add my personal P O I s. Jane is the guiding voice in my sat nav and we have travelled far and wide together for many years, she never gets annoyed or argues with me if I deviate from the route she has prepared for me she just re computes the route again and then does not speak again till the next instruction. I think my wife is a bit jealous of her because I often thank her and say nice things to her, I treat my wife the same of course but no woman likes to know there is another woman in her man's life do they, strange people woman arn, t they hee hee.

Jane is the guiding voice in my sat nav and we have travelled far and wide together for many years, she never gets annoyed or argues with me if I deviate from the route she has prepared for me she just re computes the route again and then does not speak again till the next instruction.

You definitely have a better 'way with the ladies' than me, often times when I decide to go a different way than Jane wants me to go she keeps nagging to "Turn around where possible".

My TomTom used to drive me nuts. If I knew a better way and ignored her she would throw a major strop - ‘You’re an absolute swine - mother was right about you!’

Then I changed the voice to Sean Connery - end of conflict, I would ALWAYS go exactly where he said.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back