Were is the best place to get a good sat nav for home and eorope please

We use XGoody off ebay around £40
I use Xgoody, cheap Chinese as i call them, they are cheap and you can replace them 4 times and still not pay as much as a branded name, I buy with the intention of renewing every 2 years, but I been using last one for over 5 years with out a problem except it needs updating as say's i'm in fields on new roads, I might buy a new one for summer.

Do you mean this Trev ?

Google is pretty invasive, all the time you use it it also reports back to the Googleplex where you have been, what WiFi networks are around. It even detected when I re-located mine from one place in my property to another.

It used to be that you could turn these things on and off, but with the newer Android versions you can't. Either enable Google location services for "a better user experience" or do without.

As do their "street view" cars.

Even working off-line or in aeroplane mode, it stores this stuff, next time you connect it feeds it back.

That may be very convenient, it will also locate you're lost or stolen 'phone or tablet, tell you where it was last turned on, where it is, let you wipe it remotely, but I'm instictively not so happy with all that.

However this seems to be the world that we now live in, constant surveillance. Not that I have anything to hide.

A standalone solution suits me better so I choose to use other things that AFAIK don't do these things. My navigation tablet is set up as far as I can tell to eliminate the Google spying and runs in "aeroplane mode" which does not turn off the GPS and makes the battery last much longer..

My ancient TomTom has no mechanism to do such things.

Last edited:
A few years back I bit the bullet a bought a 'Snooper' 7" it allows you to detail the type and size of your rig, has several campsite databases and picks up Radio/TV signals. Updates are easy. It covers all my needs

Some are widows based others will work on other formats,your pick,but at 25/27 bucks there good value.

I use an Aguri 720 and very pleased with it. Takes dimension and weight of van and does everything I want. Much prefer it to the in built system in the car or my old TomTom units now I amused to it

Only a few expensive satnav apps will calculate routes that take vehicle size and weight into account. And few of them work well. Most of the ones recommended in this thread are only suitable for small campervans.
Similarly, few dedicated devices allow for size and weight. And those cost far more.
The exception is iGo, which is the best software by far. Easy to add POIs, easy to use, and really good.
It is available as an app or preinstalled on a range of hardware from really cheap Nozatec/Xgody units (about £40) to high end Blauplunkt head units (over £1000).
The best software, though not the most intuitive or the cutest.

I use Xgoody, cheap Chinese as i call them, they are cheap and you can replace them 4 times and still not pay as much as a branded name, I buy with the intention of renewing every 2 years, but I been using last one for over 5 years with out a problem except it needs updating as say's i'm in fields on new roads, I might buy a new one for summer.
Why not just update the maps? You can get the latest from the Facebook group

I have used an app on my phone for years, mostly in UK and Europe but also brief periods in USA. It is called Navmii and I find it very easy to use and very reliable. It is free to download, you can use it offline and you can also add your own locations to save as favourites.
No good for a big motorhome.

Only a few expensive satnav apps will calculate routes that take vehicle size and weight into account. And few of them work well. Most of the ones recommended in this thread are only suitable for small campervans.
Similarly, few dedicated devices allow for size and weight. And those cost far more.
The exception is iGo, which is the best software by far. Easy to add POIs, easy to use, and really good.
It is available as an app or preinstalled on a range of hardware from really cheap Nozatec/Xgody units (about £40) to high end Blauplunkt head units (over £1000).
The best software, though not the most intuitive or the cutest.
My van is a 7.8mtr coachbuilt weighing in at 4tonnes and the Aguri works well for that 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back