Wells on Sea...no go area!

But not an original thought. See Post No 24 above (or below even)

Not an original thought!

You are simply argumentative. and of no help on either side of the debate.

If you are to quote someone else's words and opinions then you should at the very least credit the originator - not try to pass them off as your own
You really do appear to have a problem, and you clearly are more interested in insulting me than engaging in rational and polite debate.

The irony of you claiming others are argumentative is not lost on me. So the comments remain, and if you really need to take it personally, so be it.

Unless the combatants call a ceasefire, sadly a very relevant thread is in danger of being closed. Can we simply not agree to disagree, and get things back on track. Some on here value this thread, and would be saddened to see its closure. You know we have a pm system on here, if you wish to continue with the tit for tat, why not use this instead. Just a thought.

Unless the combatants call a ceasefire, sadly a very relevant thread is in danger of being closed. Can we simply not agree to disagree, and get things back on track. Some on here value this thread, and would be saddened to see its closure. You know we have a pm system on here, if you wish to continue with the tit for tat, why not use this instead. Just a thought.
I’m more than happy to agree to disagree and move on. Although it’s a shame that I’m discouraged from politely responding when a particular person repeatedly and consistently makes criticism of every post I make.

I don’t regard it as tit for tat, as all I’ve done is politely respond to the continued insults. But yes, in the interests of keeping this thread alive, I’m more than happy to take your advice and not respond any further to the poster in question, other than by pm if necessary.

Tom and Rolyan's interaction does highlight a real stumbling block which is we are a divided community. Even the growth of Aires divides opinions, myself and I believe Robmac (therefore likely others) are concerned that there availability have the potential to assist authorities in the banning of wildcamping. Authorities frequently use the argument that they provided the 'travelling' community with legal sites so therefore illegal settlements are even less acceptable, a similar argument could be used with Aires in the future

We are also a submissive population in the UK, to only lightly touch the subject of politics and remain within forum rules, but relevant to the thread I suggest the rights of people are being eroded with little question by the masses.

With regards to combating the removal of wildcamping locations and its legality I for one am so ill informed and have such little understanding of the technicalities that for me to join the fight on that level would be fruitless. I can and have questioned authorities in layman emails but this is of little concern to said authorities.

There exists a distinct separation between the younger persons campervan/vanlife hobby and the generally older persons big white motorhome hobby although they are the same! This is unfortunate as the enthusiam of the young combined with the wisdom of the older leads to a stronger movement whatever the social battle is.

Support from the public and the media presently is virtually non existant. Support from the public is of great assistance to any social movement, even a state of apathy isn't too bad but a movement when members of the public are against the organisations aim is disastrous in a vote based system.

'The goal', an essential part of any social fight lacks from this arena, even on this site there are sweeping statements made about what the community wants and doesn't like but no clear identifiable aim.

Personally I will maintain a Rosa Park attitude and sit (park) in a location unless I know this will do more damage than good for wildcamping or that I am confident that the signage is legal and I could face a fine (I am not as brave as her!).

The points above need to be reversed, starting with obtainable goals which include dissolving the divide between the young T5 campers and the 60k big white motorhome owners. Public opinion can also be shifted with a recognisable organisation that can be as simple as 'motorhomes against litter', this is achievable, creates unity and very importantly establishes avenues of communication.

I live no where near the coast and I dont surf but I am still aware of 'surfers against sewage' and their goal, I don't actually actively support it but it is an organisation I think of in a positive light and I am sympathetic to their cause. This is a state we need to reach.

Although different and arguable conflicting aims an understanding of how Campra have made positive steps would also be useful as it involves the same community

Last edited:
Tom and Rolyan's interaction does highlight a real stumbling block which is we are a divided community. Even the growth of Aires divides opinions, myself and I believe Robmac (therefore likely others) are concerned that there availability have the potential to assist authorities in the banning of wildcamping. Authorities frequently use the argument that they provided the 'travelling' community with legal sites so therefore illegal settlements are even less acceptable, a similar argument could be used with Aires in the future

We are also a submissive population in the UK, to only lightly touch the subject of politics and remain within forum rules, but relevant to the thread I suggest the rights of people are being eroded with little question by the masses.

With regards to combating the removal of wildcamping locations and its legality I for one am so ill informed and have such little understanding of the technicalities that for me to join the fight on that level would be fruitless. I can and have questioned authorities in layman emails but this is of little concern to said authorities.

There exists a distinct separation between the younger persons campervan/vanlife hobby and the generally older persons big white motorhome hobby although they are the same! This is unfortunate as the enthusiam of the young combined with the wisdom of the older leads to a stronger movement whatever the social battle is.

Support from the public and the media presently is virtually non existant. Support from the public is of great assistance to any social movement, even a state of apathy isn't too bad but a movement when members of the public are against the organisations aim is disastrous in a vote based system.

'The goal', an essential part of any social fight lacks from this arena, even on this site there are sweeping statements made about what the community wants and doesn't like but no clear identifiable aim.

Personally I will maintain a Rosa Park attitude and sit (park) in a location unless I know this will do more damage than good for wildcamping or that I am confident that the signage is legal and I could face a fine (I am not as brave as her!).

The points above need to be reversed, starting with obtainable goals which include dissolving the divide between the young T5 campers and the 60k big white motorhome owners. Public opinion can also be shifted with a recognisable organisation that can be as simple as 'campers against litter', this is achievable, creates unity and very importantly establishes avenues of communication.

I live no where near the coast and I dont surf but I am still aware of 'surfers against sewage' and their goal, I don't actually actively support it but it is an organisation I think of in a positive light and I am sympathetic to their cause. This is a state we need to reach.

Although different and arguable conflicting aims an understanding of how Campra have made positive steps would also be useful as it involves the same community
Its a classic case of "we don't know who we are" in the sense of being able to define what those obtainable goals would be. Although this is a "wild camping" forum (and I don't want to get into any change the name game🙄), I suspect, but don't know, that those members on here who only wild camp are a minority. For example with the changing times, we wild camp less, use CL's etc more, and only use large sites as a necessity. Information is key to defining goals so maybe some form of poll to get a feel for the state of the membership?

Its a classic case of "we don't know who we are" in the sense of being able to define what those obtainable goals would be. Although this is a "wild camping" forum (and I don't want to get into any change the name game🙄), I suspect, but don't know, that those members on here who only wild camp are a minority. For example with the changing times, we wild camp less, use CL's etc more, and only use large sites as a necessity. Information is key to defining goals so maybe some form of poll to get a feel for the state of the membership?
I suggest a poll which 'cuts to the chase' would be of more use. Identifying those that are prepared to be active in any form in assisting in the prevention of overnight parking in public locations would be of more use. Potentially there are forum users that do not wildcamp for their own personal reasons but sympathise with the concern of the erosion of rights of those who do.

I would also suggest that the assistance of someone with some understanding of the law would be necessary to identify what an aim should be, pick your battles. Like discussions on here a vague poll would likely not be productive.

An example as I am struggling to make myself clear; 'Would you actively support a fight against the loss of overnight parking locations on land owned by X' poll would be far more useful. X being determined by someone with some understanding of what is achievable

If Phil was in agreement I also suggest that a sub forum would benefit discussion. Presently this topic can end up being discussed in completely random threads where even the thread title gives no indication of the discussed topic. In a sub forum dedicated to the loss of overnighting rights a member would be far more inclined to post the thread 'I am fighting an overnight parking restriction at 'so n so' carpark' and then ask for assistance in the form of emails directed at the authority in question.

I also suspect that in such a sub forum an activity such as a regional rural car park litter pick would be better received than in 'general posts'

Just some thoughts

As you can probably attain from my posts being seen as custodians of overnight locations I believe is vital to any potential sucess.

A 'motorhomers against litter' I suggest is a good place to start. I propose the idea that even Cornish and Pembrokeshire authorities would have been more hesitant about restrictions if for the last decade vehicle wildcamping had been associated with carpark custodian activities by the public

It also dissolves the 'free loaders' argument as 'paying your dues' does not have to be in a monetary form

Last edited:
If Phil was in agreement I also suggest that a sub forum would benefit discussion. Presently this topic can end up being discussed in completely random threads where even the thread title gives no indication of the discussed topic. In a sub forum dedicated to the loss of overnighting rights a member would be far more inclined to post the thread 'I am fighting an overnight parking restriction at 'so n so' carpark' and then ask for assistance in the form of emails directed at the authority in question.

I also suspect that in such a sub forum an activity such as a regional rural car park litter pick would be better received than in 'general posts'

Just some thoughts
A better approach might be to start a thread in the full member section and if it gets a good response, then ask Phil about starting a sub forum.

A 'motorhomers against litter' I suggest is a good place to start. I propose the idea that even Cornish and Pembrokeshire authorities would have been more hesitant about restrictions if for the last decade vehicle wildcamping had been associated with carpark custodian activities by the public

It also dissolves the 'free loaders' argument as 'paying your dues' does not have to be in a monetary form
There is a facebook group called "Motorhomes and Campervans Against Litter" . It is an active group with members doing litterpicks all over the UK. They have had local press coverage in the NE of England. Instead of starting a new group why not join them?

There is a facebook group called "Motorhomes and Campervans Against Litter" . It is an active group with members doing litterpicks all over the UK. They have had local press coverage in the NE of England. Instead of starting a new group why not join them?
I will look them up but just quickly do they have any association with protection of overnighting rights?

I will look them up but just quickly do they have any association with protection of overnighting rights?
They are purely a litterpicking group. Most members like to off-grid but the group are only trying to clean up places where they park. The idea is to get a positive image for us.

I'm disappointed and suspect it's not legal, but I've just turned away OS surveyors from my door explaining that it's my dirty washing pile and not recent tectonic activity and I got an email from the WHO stating once they've finished with Wuhan
I'm the opposite and not really relevant to the topic but when the OS surveyor was outside our near finished house I asked if he wanted a cup of Chinese tea. Which he refused , they are connected to the Land Registry in case your interested....
Though I did want our place put on the map ( the land never has been) so we can get the 20% vat back and the RHI payments for the next 7 years...
Bloody hard work this house building ..

On another note .. how long will the battery last in a hand grinder.;)

I see the term "travellers" and " motorhomers" entirely different.
But I'm old school and dont class a "traveller" and a "gypsy " the same.
I know times change but i think the council official has made a mistake... a big mistake
As for the legality of it I have no idea.
Gypsies where I lived years ago would not be welcome at a travellers yard.
So do they class all as travellers......

I see the term "travellers" and " motorhomers" entirely different.
But I'm old school and dont class a "traveller" and a "gypsy " the same.
I know times change but i think the council official has made a mistake... a big mistake
As for the legality of it I have no idea.
Gypsies where I lived years ago would not be welcome at a travellers yard.
So do they class all as travellers......
Well said Drover, I always used to have a soft spot for true Romanie Gypsies whereas my thoughts for, about and against the Traveller community couldn't be lower, with these two opinions being shared by every single farmer and rural living person that I know.

Well said Drover, I always used to have a soft spot for true Romanie Gypsies whereas my thoughts for, about and against the Traveller community couldn't be lower, with these two opinions being shared by every single farmer and rural living person that I know.
There are probably as many definitions of 'Traveller/Gypsy' as there are wild campers....
Some of the true Romany folks I met over Hull way (long dark hair and deep green eyed folks)
Referred to the types that left carnage behind them as 'Diddecoy'
In their terms fakes and not to be trusted

Originally a Romani term of respect (dadika) for an older person, this has come to mean (in UK English) a Gypsy or traveller who is not of pure blood. The insult is therefore compounded, not only does this person have the negative qualities that prejudice has associated with travellers, but they are also of suspect descent, doubly damned

True Gypsy folks are some of THE most genuine folks I've had the pleasure to meet....

Sadly as with all walks of life there are good and bad that folks tend to lump in together....

Sound familiar at all?

I know quite a few and often drink with them. Some are good some not so but I enjoy their company.

Parked up near Blakeney in Norfolk and thought we would go to Wells for the day, have lunch and a bit of shopping. All car parks now have 2.2 m height barrier even the, manned, coach park! Spoke to chap on duty, thinking he would raise the bar as he was sitting there and a coach already parked. The answer was "no, we are onhigh alert for travellers"! I pointed out that this means Wells don't want any motorhomers spending their money there, he agreed and helped us tiurn round and leave! Absolutely fuming as this is just so short sighted. We have visited often up till now...why not have barriers and pay to leave parking? Will be writing to the council to express our disgust:cry:
This is such a sad, blinkered response. Eejits

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back