Wanted gaslow system

We have attempted to fill up at a pump twice, the first time was last month and the manager saw we was obviously 'virgins' at it and came and gave us a hand.

The second time was last Friday, I pulled up with my gas locker facing away from the kiosk (not deliberate but the way I was coming in) and the gentleman came out shook his head at me and said 'you can't fill those bottles, its the wrong type and they need to be exchanged'. So not being one to argue I just drove off.

Unfortunately that was the only autogas serving garage local to home and didn't see any on our trip away for weekend.

We do have a Flogas depot in Nottingham that does autogas, has anyone had any problems filling up at these places?

Thanks

This was a point I made on a previous post that gas bottle conformity checks were being made here and in Euroland. Which somewhat negates the whole idea of using non refillable bottles, you could never be sure if you could get away with it when travelling in unfamiliar regions.

We have attempted to fill up at a pump twice, the first time was last month and the manager saw we was obviously 'virgins' at it and came and gave us a hand.

The second time was last Friday, I pulled up with my gas locker facing away from the kiosk (not deliberate but the way I was coming in) and the gentleman came out shook his head at me and said 'you can't fill those bottles, its the wrong type and they need to be exchanged'. So not being one to argue I just drove off.

Unfortunately that was the only autogas serving garage local to home and didn't see any on our trip away for weekend.

We do have a Flogas depot in Nottingham that does autogas, has anyone had any problems filling up at these places?

Thanks

I phoned the Newcastle Flogas depot and they sounded baffled by my asking if I could refill my Alugas bottles. They must not have motorhomes using their autogas pump. The lady kept referring to someone else in the office who finally got the picture and said that it would be OK.
I might give them a try and ask if I can get it at the lower VAT rate as it is for heating and cooking, not road use. If you try the same tack, let us know how you get on as the main Calor dealer in Newcastle sells the gas from the pump much cheaper.

its doubtful you will over fill as the pump as a cut off device in its self. there is actually a bit on the rv site at the moment how pappa john cant fil his tanks as much as he thought would go in . best just fill empty bottles though. if you use large ones they last ages so you have plenty of opurtunity to fill up the empty one. i have never been stopped in best part of 30 odd years .
cheers alan.

its doubtful you will over fill as the pump as a cut off device in its self.

Alan
I use an ebay adapter but I can't see how the pump can measure how much liquid is in the cylinder until the cylinder is 100% full. The pressure of the gas above the liquid is the same regardless of the amount of liquid in the cylinder, which is why the regulator delivers a constant supply as the cylinder empties. As the pump is delivering liquid into the vapour space, back pressure only changes when completely full which is a bit late for a safety cutoff. I assume gaslow etc have some sort of internal pipework which delivers liquid into a filler chamber at 80% cylinder capacity.
Andy

A pump on a forecourt cuts out when the liquid (petrol, diesel, LPG) causes a back pressure in the pumping system.

This works on the principle that gas is compressible but liquids are not.

I do not want to get dragged into yet another argument about self filling of bottles but I believe that an LPG pump will only cut out when the liquid gas has completely filled the bottle and has reached the nozzle.

Never having tried one of these adaptors, it should be easily worked out if a bottle is 100% or 80% full. This would be by working out how many litres has gone into the bottle.

One thing that has never been mentioned in all of this is the fact that it is possible to get 10 kg bottles and also 11 kg bottles. For instance, my standby Energas bottle is 11 kg and I think my Alugas bottle may be 11 kg. On the odd occasion that I have fully emptied it, it took more than 80% of 20 litres to refill it. This would indicate that it has a larger capacity but as I bought it second hand, I cannot be sure.

not getting into an agument but i am niether a cowboy or on a tight budget far from either :mad: but every time i fill my 6kg i save £12ish over the year thats a lot of saving ,i have 3 6kg bottles 1 in use 1 full spare in in gas box and 1 in workshop as i get an empty i turn it on and stand it up side down, i take the bottle with my adapter and the guy at the depot fills it for me on the auto pump about £6ish, done this for about ten years

p.s.the reason some people still have their expensive vans is they owe more on them than they can sell them for even after months of trying

Last edited by a moderator:
TeachingQuran.com is a group of Online Quran tutors known as Quran School online at the said Quran School they offer Quran tutoring service for Quran recitation, memorization, Tajweed, Tafseer etc. Hire Quran Tutor and Learn Quran today or simply use our free 3 days Quran learning program.

Shukran, habibti.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back