Wales trip, any ideas?

barryd

This is a loose plan at the moment. The next leg of this years grand tour might include Wales. Not been much really before. However we are thinking of a few days on a site by lake Bala in Snowdonia so I can get the Kayak out a bit and then working our way down to Pembrokeshire for two or three weeks before heading back east and probably into Devon.

So looking for recommendations of places to stay and see in Snowdonia but crucially between there and Pembrokeshire. The main emphasis is on spectacular rides out on the scooter. Ive already plotted one around Snowdon but thats as far as I got. Also not particularly looking for wild spots but will use them but more low cost no frills CL's small sites etc. Dont need showers or EHU etc.

Some good walking areas for Michelle also and anywhere I can get the Kayak in easily either from the van or on the bike.

Llanborth campervan site is a NT site with 5 pitches,no facilities a few hundred yards from Penbryn beach and a lovely NT cafe next door. Great walking North or South IF you’re a fit walker, you might have trouble in the access lanes if you’re over 7 metres but the pitches are largish, only a tenner if you can get the small pitch with no awning allowed otherwise I think it was £20.

Nant y moch Reservoir free (no kayaking allowed)
BUT lovely spot and stunningly peaceful (little phone/internet/tv)

Borth Golf club car park (next to beach) £10 a night no facilities but public loos up in borth itself

Aberystwyth rugby club (@£ 10 a night nice quiet secure park up behind locked gates with water/chemical dump and nice view over immaculate rugby fields and short walk into town center .

Tywyn headland ...free
Riverside park up with lovely views inland (odd train passes )
Park on fields opposite daytime (no overnighting on field with direct access to the lovelly gentle barely tidal Dysenni river
Toilets etc and usual facilities in Tywyn itself .

Some pics on here of Tywyn and borth etc

Thanks guys. Will check them out. Anyone got any thoughts on the beast roads for a ride out?

Bala to Trawsfndd road

Dolgellau to Machynlleth road is lovely past to Tal y Llyn lake (part of that road is also on the Mach loop/Cad West too IF the RAF are flying ...

if it’s a motorcycle I’ve seen quite a few going up the valley from Rhayader alongside the reservoirs toward Devils Bridge, Rhayader is also a good spot, there’s a C&CC site in town a C&MH CL on the valley road and attached to it is a private campsite (my choice) you need to pay at the electric shop in town but the toilet block is excellent and a short walk to a pub toward town or the visitor centre heading up the valley (good food and cakes),you’re guaranteed to see red kites,not sure about kayaking on the reservoir but maybe?

Elan valley is also worth a visit ....lovely drive especially up to Claerwen dam (where they winched Richard Hammond up it in a S1 Landrover )
Nice quiet spot at the top with fantastic views ...
Spent a very nice secluded night up there with not another soul around

Screenshot_20230511_171600_Facebook.jpg

Llanberris pass is good and then you could do a circular including Llyn Ogwen by coming along the coast to Bangor and then heading inland to Bethesda and onwards.

You looking for rock n roll on a cruising bike or scenic roads on a scooter Baz? As far as wilding goes get your map out. Powys the largest Welsh county (bit smaller than N Yorks) has a policy that welcomes overnighting MHs free in the council run car parks in all its towns. Some really nice ones, a cracking one on the side of the Wye in Builth.

Did snowdonia and the lite railway portmadog, also the slate quarry, loved wales and the nice folk, feed us well in cafes.

You looking for rock n roll on a cruising bike or scenic roads on a scooter Baz? As far as wilding goes get your map out. Powys the largest Welsh county (bit smaller than N Yorks) has a policy that welcomes overnighting MHs free in the council run car parks in all its towns. Some really nice ones, a cracking one on the side of the Wye in Builth.

Rock n Roll and scenic on the scooter! 😁

We did 5000 miles on it last summer. Just looking for more of the same. The rides out are the main enjoyment for our trips. Well certainly mine. Michelle likes to walk also.

Will check out the overnights but generally these days we like to stay in one place for a few days or longer.

Elan valley is also worth a visit ....lovely drive especially up to Claerwen dam (where they winched Richard Hammond up it in a S1 Landrover )
Nice quiet spot at the top with fantastic views ...
Spent a very nice secluded night up there with not another soul around

View attachment 119781
Great to see that photo as I stayed in exactly the same spot a couple of years ago. Was told by a National park warden the next day that overnight parking is not allowed but he didn’t really seem that bothered 😂

I think its unlikely we will wild camp. I might if there are any places where its allowed and it fits in and its very rural and quiet. We tend to stay several nights rather than move on each day and the van gets left all day while we are out on the bike so CL life suits is just fine for that really. Doesnt seem to be hundreds of them in Wales but Ive highlighted a few off grid ones which are our preferred choice. The more remote the better.

The ones I sent have all been used by us over the last five years.

A couple are almost on the beach.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back