VPN & UK SIM

Yes, the system recognises where you are when you use the Internet and this has nothing to do with the SIM.
You will need a VPN to hide your current location. A VPN will also give you much more security when using WiFi and of course for any banking etc.

I have never used a VPN for roaming in France. Im with Vodafone and it just works. If the OP means for watching stuff like iPlayer I have heard I think on here that others have managed that with a UK Sim and without a VPN.

I think you'll find it determines your location by your IP adress :unsure: and most UK mobile providers use a UK IP address (regardless of what country your in) so that's where it will think you are. A VPN only redirects your data through it's own servers which in turn gives out a UK (or any other country you request} IP address to fool them. So you should be okay but of course a VPN has many more features and advantages than to just change your location, especially if you use public wifi access points (y)

Kind regards,
Del

A VPN on any mobile is a must, esp if you have Bluetooth running when out and about, anyone close by can lift all your details, bank included.

I have never used a VPN for roaming in France. Im with Vodafone and it just works. If the OP means for watching stuff like iPlayer I have heard I think on here that others have managed that with a UK Sim and without a VPN.
Ditto, well I think.
Yes for watching UK TV. But I wasn't sure if the BT antivirus S/W on my phone had a VPN included, which enabled me to view it on O2.

Our EE UK SIM's work fine in France. They just jump onto whatever the local network is so have never used a VPN.

Google Chrome provides the user with a free VPN so if you use your phone as a hotspot, you can then access this via a laptop I guess.

Over the years Three and recently Tesco ( O2 ) and Plusnet ( EE ) have worked perfectly well abroad.

If the signal from the auto select roaming partner isn`t that good i manually change to one of the other available networks.

Last year whilst in France we watched Her Majesty`s funeral in full on the TV / Fire Stick whilst tethered to my phone, it used 9.75GB just for the funeral with the fantastic 5G signal i had in the Pyrenees so you do need to keep an eye on data usage, my 25GB roaming allowance with Tesco was more than enough.

I managed to watch the 6 Nations rugby when in Spain last year using EE's roaming partner on the Continent and hotspotting to my laptop.

Sky mobile on the other hand know your abroad and you do need a VPN with them to watch Sky Go

Sad when you buy a £100.000 m home and then sit looking at a mobile phone in it many miles from home. 😂

Sad when you buy a £100.000 m home and then sit looking at a mobile phone in it many miles from home. 😂

I would say that after the motorhome itself having internet access is the most important asset you can have on trip. I can remember our first Europe trip in 2009 not having it. What a total ball ache. We missed all sorts of interesting places, relied just on the Aires book I think and what stuff we had with us as regards places to visit. By 2010 I had acquired a Repeat IT wifi antenna, worked out how to login to SFR Fon and had some limited data usage on my phone. It made a massive difference. Finally by 2017 we saw roaming charges done away with which was a massive bonus. Only to have it scuppered by Brexit a few years later. :(

You might have a point somewhat though. We do seem to pretty much live in a virtual world now. Im constantly on the bloody internet. :D

I would say that after the motorhome itself having internet access is the most important asset you can have on trip. I can remember our first Europe trip in 2009 not having it. What a total ball ache. We missed all sorts of interesting places, relied just on the Aires book I think and what stuff we had with us as regards places to visit. By 2010 I had acquired a Repeat IT wifi antenna, worked out how to login to SFR Fon and had some limited data usage on my phone. It made a massive difference. Finally by 2017 we saw roaming charges done away with which was a massive bonus. Only to have it scuppered by Brexit a few years later. :(

You might have a point somewhat though. We do seem to pretty much live in a virtual world now. Im constantly on the bloody internet. :D
Me too, worse than booze. 😂

I gave up on smart phones as I never found they connect to anything when away from home, ph calls yes and the only time folk ring is when they want something for free, pests.

What's a VPM?
It's a interim server that scrambles and bounces your ip around the world, so not detectable and you can set it to which country you want, bit like an invisible force field, very important on a google infested tracking smartphone.

We are all different and I the very last thing on my lit’s is internet access, my phone gives me all the access I need, i also have a 5g router giving Wi-Fi, but it’s unusual for me to turn either on when Im in the MH unless I’m using if for work.

We are all different and I the very last thing on my lit’s is internet access, my phone gives me all the access I need, i also have a 5g router giving Wi-Fi, but it’s unusual for me to turn either on when Im in the MH unless I’m using if for work.

I admire your laid back approach. I'm a bit of a planner on trips. I maybe get it from my dad who was a headmaster and always organised trips with regimental detail although I'm not as bad as he was. I'll spend hours while away researching places to go, aires, wild spots etc and of course I can't stay off social media like here and several others.

I admire your laid back approach. I'm a bit of a planner on trips. I maybe get it from my dad who was a headmaster and always organised trips with regimental detail although I'm not as bad as he was. I'll spend hours while away researching places to go, aires, wild spots etc and of course I can't stay off social media like here and several others.
My only social media input is on here, other than a car forum I visit less and less, don’t get the wrong impression im not saying either is better, it’s easy for me to be laid back when planning trips, I first drove a truck across Europe from 1986 there was no internet, only maps, I saw the Berlin Wall come down (not all of it) in 89 I think and I’ve driven to more places than I can remember, including some proper nightmares.

I love to kill the tech, point in a direction and just see where the road takes me, in 2015 I drove across the US with only the sun as a guide, did the same to get to Cape Town in the 90’s (not a good idea btw) but I also understand others need to plan and respect why.

My biggest fear with tech in a Motorhome isn’t Wi-Fi or sat nav it’s the TV/Satellite dish, just don’t get it. If I’m watching TV while eating dinner in my motorhome then I’m selling the thing tbh, and again I know we’re all different so Im not complaining or taking the moral high ground, we all have our own preferences.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back