Visit Scotland Survey for camping including motorhomes

A week past Thursdays I was in Glasgow, Clydebank to be exact. On leaving Clydebank via the Erskine Bridge, towards Glasgow, I missed the turn off for the M74, to merge with M73, then back onto M8 towards Edinburgh. So Kingston crossing for me. East bound carriageway was heaving, snail pace for miles, I also viewed the LEZ signs, or what ever they were. With the volume of cars, HGV, Buses, I can understand why these LEZ zones are required.

Flack jacket and hard hat on........................

Also the LEZ zone is small, and you are free to drive any vehicle straight through Glasgow via it’s fantastic motorway network, which is second to none throughout the UK.
At the moment, Glasgow council is looking at downgrading the motorway at Charing Cross and turning it into “a European style boulevard”
the other problem is that the hospital my wife uses is just inside the LEZ, while it is not a problem for us as I have registered all my vehicles, including my 2011 motorhome as exempt. But could be problematic for a lot of people
another bizarre point is that the motorway is used as the border of the LEZ, so if the wind is in the wrong direction, all the pollution from the traffic jams on the motorway will blow into the LEZ

Sorry Steve, but first a foremost Glasgow is not Scotland, and what Glasgow are doing is similar to what cities all over Europe and other parts of the world are doing. Also the LEZ zone is small, and you are free to drive any vehicle straight through Glasgow via it’s fantastic motorway network, which is second to none throughout the UK.
I was borne in Glasgow I know the city like the back of my hand, and there are dozens of places you can park your non euro 6 vehicle within the city boundary. From there you can either walk to the city centre, take the bus, train, or subway. Glasgow is a very welcoming city, akin to Liverpool, and there is nothing stopping you from coming here, parking up, and enjoying the museums free of charge, the nightlife, shopping, and other attractions my city has to offer you.
Glasgow is the first of Scotland's LEZs, and, IIRC, Edinburgh is the next. Given the Devi Sridhar article [and her Public Health role], it is difficult to see that she will not have a persuasive voice. The fact remains that the DVLA data, which is used to determine vehicle eligibility/ineligibility is hugely deficient and there is no appetite to have it cleaned up, which brings us back to vested interests, and there is no account taken of the other causes of pollution which are far more serious. Lastly, if there is a true, bigger picture, version of Climate Control to preserve the Planet for future generations, as the Greens keep banging on about ad nauseam, what damage will scrapping thousands, or tens of thousands of vehicles do? On another Forum, a Thread relating to Timing Belt replacement conatins a reply 'if you feel lucky, chance it, but a new engine is almost £10,000 fitted'. I could stump up the £10k [we were discussing this yesterday as an alternative to buying a new Wingamm], but, like the Wingamm discussion, found it dificult to justify the environmentally stupid idea of ditching a perfectly good engine that has not quite covered 20,000 miles in 7 years, a load of rare metals from the lithium et al, and all the interior fittings, when more polluting vehicles owned by vested interests are free to come and go as they please

Glasgow is not interested in Clean Air, and I'm not interested in Glasgow, Edinburgh and its Micky Mouse utopian and/or corrupt schemes. I'll spend my money where it is welcomed, and know that I won't be damaging the public purse {Mr Khan's Budget for ULEZ Vehicle scrappage has been increased from £110 million to £160 million, and he has been forced into a U turn on his endorsement of eco woodstoves because of the embarrassing revelation 2 weeks ago that 'Emissions of PM2.5 from domestic wood burning increased by 124% between 2011 and 2021. Wood burning in homes now produces more small particle pollution than all road traffic in the UK.' [Guardian 23rd July 2023]. The environmental damage of the alleged environmental protection exercise will fall on all of us; the financial burden will fall on taxpayers and on every individual [especially the lower paid who tend to run older vehicles and have jobs that involve work patterns that are inconsistent with public transport] who will be forced to take on more debt during a Cost of Living Crisis to buy a newer vehicle. Or they can just buy an old 2 stroke scooter and wear a helmet proclaiming 'F*ck the Planet. Ride a 2 stroke' [Worthing c1988]

You are welcome to your opinion. I am welcome to mine. My time in Scotland will be kept to the minimum, as will my leisure spend

Steve

Right now Scotland is hosting the worlds largest ever cycling event, and there are road closures in Glasgow and other cities for the ten days the event is taking place, so all joking aside I think this is worth mentioning. To date I have not noted any vehicles with wood burners, sorry Steve only joking please forgive me :(

Downhill finals from Fort William on BBC 1 at 1.30 live👍. Bernard Kerr is going to risk his life for a British win💪

Glasgow is the first of Scotland's LEZs, and, IIRC, Edinburgh is the next. Given the Devi Sridhar article [and her Public Health role], it is difficult to see that she will not have a persuasive voice. The fact remains that the DVLA data, which is used to determine vehicle eligibility/ineligibility is hugely deficient and there is no appetite to have it cleaned up, which brings us back to vested interests, and there is no account taken of the other causes of pollution which are far more serious. Lastly, if there is a true, bigger picture, version of Climate Control to preserve the Planet for future generations, as the Greens keep banging on about ad nauseam, what damage will scrapping thousands, or tens of thousands of vehicles do? On another Forum, a Thread relating to Timing Belt replacement conatins a reply 'if you feel lucky, chance it, but a new engine is almost £10,000 fitted'. I could stump up the £10k [we were discussing this yesterday as an alternative to buying a new Wingamm], but, like the Wingamm discussion, found it dificult to justify the environmentally stupid idea of ditching a perfectly good engine that has not quite covered 20,000 miles in 7 years, a load of rare metals from the lithium et al, and all the interior fittings, when more polluting vehicles owned by vested interests are free to come and go as they please

Glasgow is not interested in Clean Air, and I'm not interested in Glasgow, Edinburgh and its Micky Mouse utopian and/or corrupt schemes. I'll spend my money where it is welcomed, and know that I won't be damaging the public purse {Mr Khan's Budget for ULEZ Vehicle scrappage has been increased from £110 million to £160 million, and he has been forced into a U turn on his endorsement of eco woodstoves because of the embarrassing revelation 2 weeks ago that 'Emissions of PM2.5 from domestic wood burning increased by 124% between 2011 and 2021. Wood burning in homes now produces more small particle pollution than all road traffic in the UK.' [Guardian 23rd July 2023]. The environmental damage of the alleged environmental protection exercise will fall on all of us; the financial burden will fall on taxpayers and on every individual [especially the lower paid who tend to run older vehicles and have jobs that involve work patterns that are inconsistent with public transport] who will be forced to take on more debt during a Cost of Living Crisis to buy a newer vehicle. Or they can just buy an old 2 stroke scooter and wear a helmet proclaiming 'F*ck the Planet. Ride a 2 stroke' [Worthing c1988]

You are welcome to your opinion. I am welcome to mine. My time in Scotland will be kept to the minimum, as will my leisure spend

Steve
If you feel so strongly about Glasgow then I don’t blame you.
It would appear then that you will be refraining from visiting any cites or large towns in the U.K. soon. I find it strange you make no mention of any other LEZS throughout the U.K., or in Europe. Why you see fit to pick on a city we’re over 90% of its area can be driven on any vehicle, and you are free to drive any vehicle on any of its motorways really ingests me.
Of course Steve you are more than welcome to your opinion, and I have no problem with people not seeing things my way.

Last edited:

Steve
You do like facts and figures and qouting articles written by someone know one knows or cares about.
Most on this forum love Scotland and its relaxed attitude to our hobby.
I have 3 woodbrurners and one burns 24/7 during the colder months. I burn windfall timber seasoned and stored correctly and collected less than 100yards from my house. In 4years I’ve spent £900 on fossil fuels for heating and hot water. I’m no environmentalist but that’s sustainable.
I also have 2 nice smokey 2strokes for playing on💪

Downhill finals from Fort William on BBC 1 at 1.30 live👍. Bernard Kerr is going to risk his life for a British win💪
I have no time for cyclists as a rule (they don't help themselves) but I will record this as I used to like a bit of off road cycling as a kid even though we didn't have the right bikes yet, fixed wheel and cow horns worked well, none of this fancy suspension and disc brakes for us boy.

You do like facts and figures and qouting articles written by someone know one knows or cares about.
Most on this forum love Scotland and its relaxed attitude to our hobby.
I have 3 woodbrurners and one burns 24/7 during the colder months. I burn windfall timber seasoned and stored correctly and collected less than 100yards from my house. In 4years I’ve spent £900 on fossil fuels for heating and hot water. I’m no environmentalist but that’s sustainable.
I also have 2 nice smokey 2strokes for playing on💪
Yes I do like facts and figures and evidence. Surprised that you find that strange, but, reading your reply, perhaps not (n)

Steve

I don't agree with everything that Steve says, but I do about wood burners, the information is out there if you bother to look for it.

It has nothing to do with sustainability, it is one of the very worst polluters, if you live out in the sticks it is less of a problem but not if you live in a community where people like to breathe.

I don't agree with everything that Steve says, but I do about wood burners, the information is out there if you bother to look for it.

It has nothing to do with sustainability, it is one of the very worst polluters, if you live out in the sticks it is less of a problem but not if you live in a community where people like to breathe.
Wouldn't disagree with any of that .
But to argue against emission zones because there are polluters defies logic to me .
As I mentioned before , sitting at a pavement cafe in a French town (Saintes) where all vehicles appeared to be electric was so different from , for example, sitting out on the Royal Mile .

What has any of this got to do with the survey, and boycotting Scottish cities for doing the same as many other cities seems pointless. I doubt very much if there are any wood burners in Glasgow city centre anyway. Scotland is far more welcoming than any other part of the uk, hence why it’s chock a block with campers from other parts of the uk and Europe.

Omagh and Strabane council went out looking for wood burners in smoke free zones a while back, they detected many and sent letters stating a 10 g fine if not stopped and removed, facebook is full of them every day now and a good one can be had for £150.
Now they are talking about stopping gas, looks like we will be back to peat LOL.

What has any of this got to do with the survey, and boycotting Scottish cities for doing the same as many other cities seems pointless. I doubt very much if there are any wood burners in Glasgow city centre anyway. Scotland is far more welcoming than any other part of the uk, hence why it’s chock a block with campers from other parts of the uk and Europe.
Scottish cities are not doing the same as many others [who allow access, but levy a charge, either per diem or for a permit for the life of the vehicle etc]. Glasgow is issuing fines for non-compliant vehicles, basing their interpretation of compliance on a DVLA database that was compiled for an unconnected purpose, so there are data inaccuracies/omissions that we have no chance to correct. On another Forum, at least 2 Owners of 2022 M/Homes have been told that their Euro VI E diesels are not compliant with the ULEZ, because they are not Euro 6 ...

My point about woodstoves also included reference to 2 stroke engines [exempt in Glasgow], motorbikes, also exempt, Classic Cars exemptions, and Fairground Lorries [including the 1967 ERF [and other ancient HGVs] opposite our flat with its diesel generator, so doubly non-compliant that are allowed to enter Glasgow. This shows how badly designed and ill-conceived the Glasgow LEZ is, when the alleged Clean Air purpose does not prohibit woodstoves that produce carcinogenic particles every time the door is opened

Steve

Scottish cities are not doing the same as many others [who allow access, but levy a charge, either per diem or for a permit for the life of the vehicle etc]. Glasgow is issuing fines for non-compliant vehicles, basing their interpretation of compliance on a DVLA database that was compiled for an unconnected purpose, so there are data inaccuracies/omissions that we have no chance to correct. On another Forum, at least 2 Owners of 2022 M/Homes have been told that their Euro VI E diesels are not compliant with the ULEZ, because they are not Euro 6 ...

My point about woodstoves also included reference to 2 stroke engines [exempt in Glasgow], motorbikes, also exempt, Classic Cars exemptions, and Fairground Lorries [including the 1967 ERF [and other ancient HGVs] opposite our flat with its diesel generator, so doubly non-compliant that are allowed to enter Glasgow. This shows how badly designed and ill-conceived the Glasgow LEZ is, when the alleged Clean Air purpose does not prohibit woodstoves that produce carcinogenic particles every time the door is opened

Steve
Cutting your nose off to spite your face Steve. You really are. Why anyone would want to drive through Glasgow city centre in a motorhome eludes me. I have not driven in the city centre in my car for nearly 3 years. And it complies being a euro 6

Last edited:
There’s a big black cloud of smoke hanging over Doon right now.
The same mob that sat on Sunaks roof, are heading for Cales hoose :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
They’ll no don’t get distracted by my neighbour before they get to me🤬. His sort of behaviour I find unacceptable.
IMG_2918.jpeg

Cutting your nose off to spite your face Steve. You really are. Why anyone would want to drive through Glasgow city centre in a motorhome eludes me. I have not driven in the city centre in my car for nearly 3 years. And it complies being a euro 6
Not at all, Bill. Glasgow has nothing to offer me that I cannot obtain elsewhere without risk of breaching the LEZ. France and Spain have much more to offer, more friendly and fair in the way they welcome M/Homers/Caravanners and the weather is much better. I'll leave it there

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back