Vin Chip ... Hopefully this news isn't going to start another argument, sorry debate............

I think you can also check your vin with CRiS, although it looks like they charge for that service.

Davy

Just got mine anyone else fitted one yet? Any tips the chip it's self is like a big sticker with a metal backing.

Mike

I did some work for a company that made something similar. Basically it's a standard programmable RFID chip with an external stick-on antenna. They made them for asset tracking by multimedia hire companies, and the clever stuff was in the scanners and the database. The actual chips cost well under £1 and the sticky antenna about the same, so it was economic to label every bit of equipment, even each lead.
You could wheel a case fill of kit through the scanner arch and it instantly gave a full inventory of what was there. Or if it was coming back off hire, whether any bits of kit were missing.
I don't know what these vin chips cost to buy, but you can bet they cost less than £5 to make and program.

Ours arrived today ...........
image.jpg
"

I'd have thought that these were like a tracker. They are best concealed, and advertising that you have one only benefits the company marketing them, at the expense of your security. Or is there some benefit of the sticker that I've overlooked?

I'd have thought that these were like a tracker. They are best concealed, and advertising that you have one only benefits the company marketing them, at the expense of your security. Or is there some benefit of the sticker that I've overlooked?
I agree the location of RFID's should not be obvious, I suppose that apart from the deterrent value, the RFID's can be scanned by the police without needing a tracker company as intermediary. Its not foolproof, its just another cheap layer of security that might save your van from being lifted.

Just fitted 1 of my chips as I have stripped out some interior to hide it. But looking at the instructions it says the rfid chip has 6 month shelf life? So it dies in the packet what stops it dieing when fitted?

Mike

Just fitted 1 of my chips as I have stripped out some interior to hide it. But looking at the instructions it says the rfid chip has 6 month shelf life? So it dies in the packet what stops it dieing when fitted?
The shelf life of a standard RFID chip is measured in decades: they don't have a battery: there is nothing to run down or go flat. They should last until obsolescence kills them. Though it is possible that the glue on the stickers may have a limited shelf life.
I expect that they're like the expiry date of a SIM card. If you don't register a SIM before a certain date, the pre-provisioning is wiped from the system to avoid lots of null database entries.
Although the VIN could be programmed into an RFID chip, it's far more likely that the chip just has a serial number which you look up on a database to find the matching VIN. Just about as good, and far, far cheaper to implement,

Sadly mine didn't arrive before we left but hopefully it'll be there when we get home.

Haven't decided where to stick it yet, so to speak 😵:ROFLMAO:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back