Vin Chip ... Hopefully this news isn't going to start another argument, sorry debate............

Val54

Cheshire Constabulary is using a new tool to aid the force’s fight against caravan and motorhome thieves.

The VIN CHIP anti-theft identification system enables officers to scan a touring caravan or motorhome from up to 15 metres away to see if it has been reported as stolen and find out who the registered owner is.

They can be scanned at speeds of up to 60mph.

Cheshire’s Roads and Crime Unit officers are now using the system, and owners of touring caravans and motorhomes across the county are being advised to ensure that they have a VIN CHIP fitted and are registered with the Caravan Registration and Identification Scheme (CRiS).

Inspector Anton Sullivan, of the Roads and Crime Unit, said: “Due to supply and demand, the number of caravan and motorhome theft incidents tend to rise in the summer months.

“This year the demand for them is even greater than normal, with travel restrictions imposed due to the coronavirus pandemic making staycations, mobile homes and caravan holidays more popular than ever.

“So we could not have asked for a better time to add the VIN CHIP scanning system to our armoury for when we are out on patrol and monitoring our roads.

“Used by many other police forces in the UK, ports officers and also in mainland Europe and Scandinavia, it has substantially increased the number of stolen caravans and motorhomes that have been recovered and returned to their rightful owner.”

Since 2008 a radio frequency chip containing a unique vehicle identification number (VIN) number has been embedded into all UK-approved touring caravans when they have been made.

Owners of older caravans can have one fitted at a relatively small cost, and owners of caravans made between 2008 and 2016 can pay to have their chip upgraded so that it works as well as the newer ones. This may have an insurance benefit with some companies.

Motorhome owners can also pay to have a VIN CHIP fitted, and some manufacturers are now embedding them into all their new motorhomes.

Insp Sullivan added: “Working like a speed gun, a VIN CHIP scanner enables an officer to quickly see if a caravan or motorhome on the move has been reported as stolen, and who the registered owner is.

“Once a caravan or motorhome has been identified as stolen we will endeavour to bring the thief, or thieves, to justice, and have it returned to its owner.

“Our officers are now using the system to this end across Cheshire.

“However, the system will not work for touring caravan or motorhome theft victims unless they have a VIN CHIP fitted.

“Touring caravan and motorhome owners are advised to have a VIN Chip fitted and to have the vehicle registered with CRiS to help their mobile home be located in the event of it being stolen.

David Keane, Police and Crime Commissioner for Cheshire, said: “I am delighted to hear that Cheshire Constabulary has a new tool to help officers catch caravan and motorhome thieves and recover stolen vehicles.

“Opportunist thieves could not only potentially ruin someone’s staycation but could also put touring caravan and motorhome owners at risk of losing thousands of pounds if their vehicle is stolen.

“I urge all caravan and motorhome owners across the county to follow the advice from Cheshire Constabulary and check the security of their vehicles.”

Anyone with any information or footage regarding the theft of caravans or motorhomes is asked to call Constabulary on 101, give the details via https://www.cheshire.police.uk/ro/report or contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Further security advice for caravan and motorhome owners is available on our website https://www.cheshire.police.uk/news...-tool-to-combat-caravan-and-motorhome-thefts/
email.gif
Message Sent By
Ashley Lawton (Cheshire Police / Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service, Administrator, Corporate Communications)

Me to cheers looks ok to me when I get paid will purchase. :) (y)

I think that's the one which has been on caravanfinder tv for the past few years.

Wonder do the ecilop/psni work the sys here in Norn Iron and Garda in Republic. :unsure:

Can't see the Police bothering to use it to be honest Their cars are already equipped with NPR they sit and wait just up the road from us and catch untaxed/insurance/mot dodgers so should be able to tell if vehicles stolen what do we want to payout for this for

Would this system be independant of the number plate which police use to identify stolen vehicles etc? Surely a vin chip embedded would be harder to change or remove than number plates. Can see some value in this but wonder how many police forces are using them.

It's a great idea but clearly works best when wandering around a traveller site or entry to ports.

Would be a better idea if they incorporated it with gps. That way, a phone app on the owners phone could track it exactly to where it ends up. Lithium watch batteries would be enough to power one for up to 10 years.

Lets face it, most caravans and motorhomes are stolen to order. Once stolen they are usually left on a relatively close car park for 24 hours with the plates changed to see whether anybody turns up tracing an installed tracker. ANPR is no use in these circumstances and this device adds another level of security. With stickers indicating that such a device is fitted, it is just another reason for the perpetrators to leave your van alone and choose another.

Anything that adds to the line of defence, this will do just that. I'm going to invest. I also use a Bull dog wheel clamp, the 20kg Gold secure one. It's a right finger crusher to put on, but as far as I'm aware, it has a 100% track record. You do need a good level of strength to fit them though. I do use an expensive steering lock bar as well. They are easily got around though, by snapping the top of the steering column off. Then using vice grips as a steering wheel.

For the money i think it is well worth it and i`ve just ordered the Motorhome version, thank you Dave (y)

Forgot to say, please be aware that it can take " up to 31 days " from the date of the order for it to arrive.

Quote from email :-

You can expect your order to arrive based on the timescales below.

VIN Chip Products

All VIN Chip products are made and ordered specifically for your motorhome and therefore take up to 31 days to manufacturer. Please allow 31 days for delivery from the date of order.

Should your order not have arrived within the timescales above please contact CRiS by emailing info@cris.co.uk. Please ensure that you quote the VIN that the order was placed against in any correspondence.

Now pleased to see this.... that VIN Chip thingy came as a standard factory Fitting with my Compass CV40 Campervan last year.
Still had a Cat1 alarm fitted and always use the milenco extra length steering wheel bar too.

Anything that adds to the line of defence, this will do just that. I'm going to invest. I also use a Bull dog wheel clamp, the 20kg Gold secure one. It's a right finger crusher to put on, but as far as I'm aware, it has a 100% track record. You do need a good level of strength to fit them though. I do use an expensive steering lock bar as well. They are easily got around though, by snapping the top of the steering column off. Then using vice grips as a steering wheel.
They cut the s wheel and remove bar,wheel still usable.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back