Vehicle tracker

That looks a useful bit of kit. The only problem these days is that the thieves can block the signals long enough to discover a hidden Tracker. It has a 60 day battery installed so if you had a good hiding place for it, you might get the vehicle back.

Maybe leaving an old mobile phone hidden inside the van in working order would be a good idea as the police could trace that, might be a cheap option

vehicle tracker

I use an old android phone. Permanently on charge well hidden everything set to silent. its on pay as you go so you need to send a text from it every 10 weeks or so to keep sim active. just use the andriod app to track the phone cost about 5 texts a year.

I have used trackers similar to Sunny Tracker GSM GPRS GPS Locator for Car Alarm | eBay they are hard wired and they work. You can "ring fence" them so they alert you should the vehicle be driven away. They also have a small backup battery, so it will alert you if the power supply is cut.
Thieves are aware of trackers, but their normal method of countering these is to park the vehicle up for a day or two and see if the police turn up. They may search for a tracker, so it is up to you to hide it well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone want to track their motorhome if mine was stolen I don't want to ever see it again, ours has just been broken into and they have done £9,500 worth of damage Karen does not want it back.
Any amount of security on any motorhome is a complete waste of time and money as I have always said if someone wants to break in they are getting in, I have not seen a single motorhome that if I wanted to get into it would not take me more than about 30 seconds.

I wouldn't want my MH back either but I would love to know who took it and where they stay so I can get some good old fashioned justice my way not the slap on the wrist British justice way. It wouldn't be so easy to steal someone's possessions when you can't use your hands lol:hammer::hammer::hammer::angel:

I have and like the TK range of small trackers but they are not insurance approved. That requires monitoring which is around £10 to £15 a month. In addition to tracking, they also can be set to Geo-fence your MH.

I am currently looking at SmartWater, anyone any experience of this system? £60 a year for home and MH. The window stickers are a powerful deterant, I am reliably told.

Any advice/thoughts?

Ed

The thing that leaps to mind with smartwater is that items have to be recovered, it wont prevent a theft anymore than just having a copy of the smartwater stickers on the windows, which might be an option!

Why would anyone want to track their motorhome if mine was stolen I don't want to ever see it again, ours has just been broken into and they have done £9,500 worth of damage Karen does not want it back.
Any amount of security on any motorhome is a complete waste of time and money as I have always said if someone wants to break in they are getting in, I have not seen a single motorhome that if I wanted to get into it would not take me more than about 30 seconds.

If you have a minimal insurance excess, you are not bothered about increased insurance premiums, (they increase irrespective of protected no claims) and you are confident that your insurance company won't stiff you, then why would you want your motorhome back?

If you want to secrete a mobile phone (Android type) there is an app called 'Where's my Droid. I have it on an old phone but have not used it yet. It sends a text with its GPS location when asked.

tracker

I am going to buy an old iPhone 3gs with a broken screen so it will be cheap and put a pay as you go sim in. You can use find my phone so you can find where it is to the nearest 10 -20 meters or so by looking on a map. I will install a 12v usb point and hide the phone behind a panel or under one of my units

Take a look at this one

I am considering fitting a tracker to my MH but cant justify the cost of some of the high end kit, so wonder if anyone has tried one of these TK104 Magnetic Fleet Gps Tracker Tracking Device System for Car Vehicle Van Spy | eBay . if so how has it performed? thanks in advance.

I tried this one.

TOOGOO(R) TK103B Cars Auto GSM/ GPRS/ GPS Device Locator Alarm Tracker Set + Remote Control: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

There is an A version but this is without the with the remote control to turn on the unit. (you have to txt the unit to get the following function). it will txt you when there is movement in the van. I've been in and without turning it off and received a txt. It has other uses also. ring fence the vehicle plus others.

Some of the reviews are negative (but more positive ones than negative) but for £23 I decided to give it a go. You need a 2G sim for this although the manual does not say this. (Chinese converted). Reports of it draining the battery seem a bit harsh. I have just retuned from a 10 days away (not in the van) and the battery level is still way high. It has many functions but use whatever you require. You don't have to use them all.

This is the manual.
http://www.gpslocalizador.es/manuales/TK103_en.pdf

Hope this information is of interest to someone.

Last edited:
I have a sentinel tracker it is just a little pager thingy and it sits in plain sight looking like nothing at all. It DOES ring me if one of us goes into the van without the dongle and went off today when I went in and I had had the battery come loose. I will ask instructions will give the ongoing GPS points everytime you want it to. Only a cheap little thing and no ongoing fees with it.
I also bought a very hot pointed soldering iron and I use that to write the registration on all of the plastic windows and a lot of the body mouldings, mirror bodies etc., it cannot be got rid of and make the whole vehicle very unappealing to thieves that want to take it. My quad, generator chainsaws and other expensive bits all have had the treatment. cheap and very effective thief dissuading way of protection.

Just got back from Wales my tried Apple tracker and from Wales to Cambridge I could see my car was at home
Instantly so folk think a apple Device has to be near I have found out thats not right my car is off road.here is a photo of the Apple trackers

Attachments

• 46F7A22C-646C-4D14-8BC5-000B0A4D3F65.png
    46F7A22C-646C-4D14-8BC5-000B0A4D3F65.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I have one of these , very similar to the one on the OP's post. I'm happy with it. I don't use the text option to communicate, it's much better (and far cheaper) to use the internet via GPRS. Be aware, though, that it uses 2g, so for instance a SIM from 3 wouldn't work (as far as I know they're the only network that doesn't include 2g).
It pinpoints exactly where the van is, also tracks the route taken.
I am aware that it's fairly easy for thieves to get hold of devices to jam the signal, but mine is well hidden and would take a while to get to it. The ringfence option would tell me as soon as it has moved outside a 100m zone.
There is also an option to wire in a fuel cut-off relay (which is supplied)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back