VAT cut reduces campsite fees by 12.5%

This child chancellor 8dspending money like a sailor in Hamburg, after a ayear at sea..
Or like there's no tomorrow...
Did does he think there's no tomorrow ?
/
Does he know there's no tomorrow..??
😨
£300 billion the covid incentives , be a few long faces when we have to repay , I am far from a Tory supporter but concede he is in a difficult position , hopefully today’s tweaks will keep the economy productive to pay its debt in the long run

We have 5 CAMC sites booked for our little Scotland tour in September so last night after the news i went into " My Bookings " and printed them off.

I`ve written the prices of each stay at the time of booking by the side of each one so we`ll see if they are actually cheaper when we get there and pay.

Nothing paid in advance with the CAMC unlike the C&CC so if it does not go ahead it`s no problem.

Many sites will not reduce the price but pocket the difference. This scheme was designed to help business‘s and help them survive. We want them there in the future so let them keep it.
Surely the way to survive is to get frightened people out of their homes and through your door. Raising prices doesn't generally increase business, on the contrary it is likely to encourage more meals and drinks being taken at home.
I for one would boycott any company that doesn't pass on a tax reduction.

Surely the way to survive is to get frightened people out of their homes and through your door. Raising prices doesn't generally increase business, on the contrary it is likely to encourage more meals and drinks being taken at home.
I for one would boycott any company that doesn't pass on a tax reduction.
As has already been said smaller sites won't be VAT reg and will not be able to pass on the cut. Don't be too harsh with peoplr.

maybe it should be a joint benefit huh? some reduction in cost to benefit the visitor and some extra revenue to help the site out after loosing their revenue during the last ferw months?
Which party is being greedy by demanding it all for themselves?
Why? VAT is a government tax, it doesn’t go to the seller. I worked for a company that wrote computerised tills/WmS and any VAT changes were done immediately.

Many sites will not reduce the price but pocket the difference. This scheme was designed to help business‘s and help them survive. We want them there in the future so let them keep it.
It’s not there to keep, VAT is collected on behalf of the treasury. In order to pocket the money they would have to increase their pre vat prices then add the new 5% vat. Then when this finishes in six months bring their prices back down again to reapply the normal rate of vat at 20%.

Why? VAT is a government tax, it doesn’t go to the seller. I worked for a company that wrote computerised tills/WmS and any VAT changes were done immediately.
Why what? Don't understand your point.

Why what? Don't understand your point.
You said you thought it should be a joint benefit and I said why. It’s a tax and goes to the government so why should anyone keep a reduction?
The idea is to reduce the price to the consumer to tempt them to buy not keep prices the same and let someone else have it

If the campsites are as fully booked as we’ve been led to believe, perhaps an increase in VAT would have been a better idea, :)

I’ll get my coat.
It won’t affect the ones I use normally, still to cl’s if there are any when I want one. I have had 2 nights in on a site this year though but I think it was about £30 for the full weekend 👍

You said you thought it should be a joint benefit and I said why. It’s a tax and goes to the government so why should anyone keep a reduction?
The idea is to reduce the price to the consumer to tempt them to buy not keep prices the same and let someone else have it
I didn't say VAT was a joint benefit. I said the reduction in the price charged can be a joint benefit.
A site could reduce their rate by say 7.5%, even though their 'normal' return may have increased due to the VAT reduction compared to the normal rate - and the increased NET revenue can help the site.
With the social distancing required it is quite likely other areas of income at a site may have reduced or gone. Might be able to accommodate less vehicles, or have to close on-site shop or the like. This sharing of the benefit (or a lesser price reduction then the whole amount of the VAT reduction might allow, to make it clear) seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Where is it stated that the VAT reduction was intended to solely reduce the price to the consumer? No doubt the typical consumer thinks that as they want it all.

It is like when oil goes down in price... Why isn't the pump price instantly reduced?? But if oil goes up, it is "they must still have stock at the old price??"

You are mixing up two different things Dave. VAT is a government tax. Any change should be applied correctly on the dates as advised.

If a business needs to change prices due to extra costs through any measures they need to introduce then do so and inform the customer. The customer can then decide if they wish to pay or go elsewhere.

After seeing what a local cafe and Park Rangers have done to comply I know a lot of places can do similar without any increase in costs. It’s the bigger sites with club houses etc that will be more affected.

You are mixing up two different things Dave. VAT is a government tax. Any change should be applied correctly on the dates as advised.

If a business needs to change prices due to extra costs through any measures they need to introduce then do so and inform the customer. The customer can then decide if they wish to pay or go elsewhere.

After seeing what a local cafe and Park Rangers have done to comply I know a lot of places can do similar without any increase in costs. It’s the bigger sites with club houses etc that will be more affected.
sorry, I am not mixing up anything. Maybe my words are not being understood as I mean them to be but there is no mix up!

there is also a difference between increased costs and reduced income from on-site sales, but the end result is the same - reduced revenue.

Mutual benefit of business and customer makes good sense win / win

If a vat reg site is charging £30 per night then under current rules is netting £25 per night after Hmrc get their cut.

Under the new rules at the same price point the site nets £28,57 ... so an increase in margin of £3,57 if no benefit passed to the customer

So in theory there is £,3,57 to carve up between supplier and customer so opportunity for win win the savings even greater on larger amounts

£300 billion the covid incentives , be a few long faces when we have to repay , I am far from a Tory supporter but concede he is in a difficult position , hopefully today’s tweaks will keep the economy productive to pay its debt in the long run
If they cancelled Trident replacement, HS2 and Hinkley Point they'd save more than £300 billion. We'd all be better off without the cancelled projects.

My thoughts are that the VAT relief is mainly intended for the business operator.
Most who visit campsites can afford the full fee..I say let the campsite have the extra.

Slightly different model for "mass tourism" where the operator may wish to pass on say 50% of the saving to encourage more punters.
I guess this sharing model goes for restaurants and the like !

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back