VAT cut reduces campsite fees by 12.5%

Moped

If you are staying on a campsite make sure they are only charging you 5% VAT on the fees.

This is the equivalent of a 12.5% discount on the fees advertised before the chancellors announcement.

We have several Caravan Club sites booked over the summer season so look forward to saving £££ when we turn up. We will take 12.5% off the original price quoted and expect to pay this revised figure and no more!

We will spend the difference on meals out Monday to Wednesday and pocket a further £20 discount.

So virtually free dining out for August! Nice summer bonus! :)

The tax is levied at the "tax point" which is the date of the invoice, not the date of the delivery of the service. Whether some trickery to cancel and rebook under new VAT rules can be done is open to question.

The Daily Express has suggested some campsites will simply pocket the difference to increase revenue which can be invested in improving facilities.

Not happy with this and trust the the Caravan and Motorhome Club will do the right thing rather than wriggle out of this by saying they can bring improvements forward.

I wonder how we stand with sites already paid for, but dates in the future?

My understanding is that VAT is payable at the rate applicable on the invoice date. So if the site raised an invoice is Jan 20 for a holiday in Sep 20 the vat is 20% irrespective of when you pay. However, if the site cancels the invoice and refunds the money than raises a new invoice next week VAT on the new invoice will be 5%.
The good news is that if you book a site next week for a holiday in June 21 the vat should be 5%. Different rules for Northern Ireland. I await someone correcting me, it has been awhile since I got involved in VAT calculations.

If there are THSs from the 1st of August the fees they have advertised may change. I used to be a DA treasurer. Glad I'm not now as this will be a right headache.

If there are THSs from the 1st of August the fees they have advertised may change. I used to be a DA treasurer. Glad I'm not now as this will be a right headache.

When I checked yesterday, there is no sign of any THS being organised anywhere in the UK.

When I checked yesterday, there is no sign of any THS being organised anywhere in the UK.
All cancelled till end of July. CCC DAs and Sections are waiting for guidance from Coventry on how to run the temporary campsites from the beginning of August.

I have just checked on the out and about app. for THSs within 50 miles of Edinburgh. The THS at the Drum in Edinburgh from 7/8 till 1/9/2020 is still on as is the one at Strathallan Games Park, Bridge of Allan from 7/8 - 24/8/2020. That is just a sample. THSs will all possibly have to be booked this year.

Remember that THSs and Meets always have elsan disposal and drinking water as a minimum requirement.

My understanding is that VAT is payable at the rate applicable on the invoice date. So if the site raised an invoice is Jan 20 for a holiday in Sep 20 the vat is 20% irrespective of when you pay. However, if the site cancels the invoice and refunds the money than raises a new invoice next week VAT on the new invoice will be 5%.
The good news is that if you book a site next week for a holiday in June 21 the vat should be 5%. Different rules for Northern Ireland. I await someone correcting me, it has been awhile since I got involved in VAT calculations.

The BBC have said in their website news report that holidaymakers who have already paid for a booking later in the year will not receive a refund as the rate is for when the sale is made.

All cancelled till end of July. CCC DAs and Sections are waiting for guidance from Coventry on how to run the temporary campsites from the beginning of August.

I have just checked on the out and about app. for THSs within 50 miles of Edinburgh. The THS at the Drum in Edinburgh from 7/8 till 1/9/2020 is still on as is the one at Strathallan Games Park, Bridge of Allan from 7/8 - 24/8/2020. That is just a sample. THSs will all possibly have to be booked this year.

Remember that THSs and Meets always have elsan disposal and drinking water as a minimum requirement.

Thanks. I obviously did not scroll far enough down the list to find the later ones. I wonder why someone did not delete all of the cancelled ones. It would have made life a lot simpler. :giggle:

The Daily Express has suggested some campsites will simply pocket the difference to increase revenue which can be invested in improving facilities.

Not happy with this and trust the the Caravan and Motorhome Club will do the right thing rather than wriggle out of this by saying they can bring improvements forward.
maybe it should be a joint benefit huh? some reduction in cost to benefit the visitor and some extra revenue to help the site out after loosing their revenue during the last ferw months?
Which party is being greedy by demanding it all for themselves?

It will only apply if the site you are visiting is VAT Registered. A lot of the smaller CL / CS sites won't be. The Government have got to do something to get the economy moving again. Our neighbour over the road is scared to death about going anywhere. If he orders Fish and Chips his daughter picks them up for him

comes into effect on 15th July until 12th of jan 2021

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back