Van and home MIFI

GWAYGWAY

I am looking to get an aerial and a router to go in the van AND that I could use at home, I am fed up paying Virgine £56 a month for TV phone line and broadband, the only one I use is the broadband. I would like a good set up that could be indoors and in the van when away. I can hotspot but it runs the phone down quickly. The iPad has its own chip but the receiver is not that hot with some places. Anybody have a suggestion, that might do me? I have 105 gigabyte monthly allowance.

I'm also looking for a mobile set up, still never managed to sort one out after all these years! o_O :p

We have EE at home for landline and broadband, no TV - but unfortunately, unlike Graham, we currently still need the landline, at least for a while yet.
£35 per month. (Don't want the TV cr*p, we'd probably need a new telly for it to work anyway, so no chance!)

The EE home broadband is currently unlimited and I think they do some sort of MIFI package? :unsure:
What else I would need in terms of additional equipment in the van, I haven't a clue! Aerials? Routers? Blah, blah, blah.... white noise....🤪

My brain just fries when it comes to some techie stuff these days - and to think I used to be reasonably ahead of the game once upon a time.
Guess this is what happens when you don't move fast enough with new technology... :(

I'm also looking for a mobile set up, still never managed to sort one out after all these years! o_O :p

We have EE at home for landline and broadband, no TV - but unfortunately, unlike Graham, we currently still need the landline, at least for a while yet.
£35 per month. (Don't want the TV cr*p, we'd probably need a new telly for it to work anyway, so no chance!)

The EE home broadband is currently unlimited and I think they do some sort of MIFI package? :unsure:
What else I would need in terms of additional equipment in the van, I haven't a clue! Aerials? Routers? Blah, blah, blah.... white noise....🤪

My brain just fries when it comes to some techie stuff these days - and to think I used to be reasonably ahead of the game once upon a time.
Guess this is what happens when you don't move fast enough with new technology... :(

Well Marie probably nothing else would be required.
The only problem is you need a SIM card for the mifi and you cannot make or receive calls once it has been put into your mifi.
I have an unlimited plan with three.
When out in the van somewhere with no tv reception but decent mobile, I remove the SIM card from my phone and put it into the mifi. I then use a PAYG SIM card in the phone. The only problem is it’s not my usual number. I gave that number to my contacts so they can still contact me when we are using the mifi.
You may wish to buy an aerial which can improve reception enough to watch tv or YouTube. I find you need around 4gb for this to work properly. We have a firestick in our avtex tv which lets us watch tv, and use catchup as well.
Also I have been to places were the phone only gets a weak signal, but the mifi works fine.

I bought a used Teltonika rut950 and a monthly
EE data plan....

Been used mainly in the van so far with internal antenna...

Just waiting for a external on to arrive via ebay...
Very happy so far AND my home virgin contract is coming up for renewal very soon and is likely not to be renewed.

We use a Huawei e5577cs mifi unit. We don’t have broadband or a landline at home so this is all we use. It works fine as it is at home and in the van, but it has twin antenna inputs so a decent antenna could be fitted if needed. We have 100gb allowance on the mifi and we also have 2 iphones, both with 100gb sims.

I have just cancelled my data sim contract with ‘3’ that I use in my Huawei mifi in the motorhome. Great service and coverage but they wanted to drastically increase the monthly charge regardless of my threat to cancel.
So I’m open to suggestions of who to go with, monthly contract, payg, not bothered as long as it’s a good deal. Going off my last years usage I need around 10 gb data a month.

I have just cancelled my data sim contract with ‘3’ that I use in my Huawei mifi in the motorhome. Great service and coverage but they wanted to drastically increase the monthly charge regardless of my threat to cancel.
So I’m open to suggestions of who to go with, monthly contract, payg, not bothered as long as it’s a good deal. Going off my last years usage I need around 10 gb data a month.
Think you have Sky TV? Get a Sky Mobile SIM. You can put in in a MiFi and any data you don't use is saved for upto 3 years. If you got one for the MiFi and one for your own phone, you can share the data between the two SIMs.
I pay around £4 for one SIM with 500MB or 1GB or data (can't recall which) and about £3.50 for the other SIM with the same data package. I am on that minimal data as got nearly 300GB of Data in the Sky "Piggybank" which I just allocate lumps of data from to whatever phone is short - and if not used, the Data goes back into the bank :)

I have a 3 dongle which I use at home and when away. In 4 years I have rarely been without a connection and i don't have additional aerials. £22 on a two year contract. PAYG phone.

I am looking to get an aerial and a router to go in the van AND that I could use at home, I am fed up paying Virgine £56 a month for TV phone line and broadband, the only one I use is the broadband. I would like a good set up that could be indoors and in the van when away. I can hotspot but it runs the phone down quickly. The iPad has its own chip but the receiver is not that hot with some places. Anybody have a suggestion, that might do me? I have 105 gigabyte monthly allowance.

3 mobile were doing a 4G setup for £18 on a 2 year contract, ended the end of September.

Currently its £22 per month.

Think you have Sky TV? Get a Sky Mobile SIM. You can put in in a MiFi and any data you don't use is saved for upto 3 years. If you got one for the MiFi and one for your own phone, you can share the data between the two SIMs.
I pay around £4 for one SIM with 500MB or 1GB or data (can't recall which) and about £3.50 for the other SIM with the same data package. I am on that minimal data as got nearly 300GB of Data in the Sky "Piggybank" which I just allocate lumps of data from to whatever phone is short - and if not used, the Data goes back into the bank :)

Thanks for that info, will investigate later tonight.

I use a Huawei B535 with a 3 unlimited data/phone/text package, it is 12v so works at home or in the van, it has 4 ethernet ports so useful if you need a wired connection

3 mobile were doing a 4G setup for £18 on a 2 year contract, ended the end of September.

Currently its £22 per month.

I,ve been using this set up for almost 3 yrs very pleased with it currently paying £21 a mth for unlimited using a supplied with contract Huwiae B 311 router which runs off the vans 12v system or 240v with adaptor. Only thing I,d add is check signal where you,ll be using it most

Well Marie probably nothing else would be required.
The only problem is you need a SIM card for the mifi and you cannot make or receive calls once it has been put into your mifi.
I have an unlimited plan with three.
When out in the van somewhere with no tv reception but decent mobile, I remove the SIM card from my phone and put it into the mifi. I then use a PAYG SIM card in the phone. The only problem is it’s not my usual number. I gave that number to my contacts so they can still contact me when we are using the mifi.
Why not just turn on your phone's mobile hotspot and also recieve calls too? That's all I do and connect any device to it, no need for any separate mifi or extra sim card! A smart phone has built in mifi.

Has anyone got any experience of using these Mifi's in Europe for general internet use & watching UK tv using either the Firestick, Nowtv or others which ones are best. Been looking at Smarty Sim but poor connection problems are common.

Has anyone got any experience of using these Mifi's in Europe for general internet use
I've used my 3 Huawei B311 all over Europe although it's referred to as a router not mifi. Only place it's struggled is some remote parts in Portugal and recently since end of August at home
Never tried TV but don't see why it shouldn't

Why not just turn on your phone's mobile hotspot and also recieve calls too? That's all I do and connect any device to it, no need for any separate mifi or extra sim card! A smart phone has built in mifi.

Well mistericeman highlights one issue, also we like to watch our tv and find that the firestick works well. I did buy a Wi-fi hdmi receiver but found the quality poor.

Well mistericeman highlights one issue, also we like to watch our tv and find that the firestick works well. I did buy a Wi-fi hdmi receiver but found the quality poor.
I just screen cast anything on the phone direct to the TV if we want a bigger screen than the tablets on wifi. We've never had a need for a firestick or such like. But an external aerial connection would be useful sometimes, some older phones did have that ability!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back