Van and home MIFI

Why not just turn on your phone's mobile hotspot and also recieve calls too? That's all I do and connect any device to it, no need for any separate mifi or extra sim card! A smart phone has built in mifi.
Yes, I do that on 3 network. You can tether on laptop, no problems. Does not kill the phone battery in any way. But while traveling the reception might be very bad. I would like a portable amplifier but I don't know how to find such a thing. I don't want antennas that needs mounted, I want the car to stay as simple as possible.

Well, I'm confused now. I checked my Amazon purchase history and found that I had purchased an E5577 (IIRC it was actually an E5577c) last July. There is a little flap on mine next to the USB charging port which lifts and reveals 2 antenna inputs; I had to buy 2 little adaptors from fleabay to match up with the Puck. However, looking at the listing photos now the outline of the little flap is not shown and other listings also do not seem to show it. It seems as if Huawei have discontinued the antenna inputs, although I am happy to be corrected if others here can find otherwise.
I bought an E5577C in Dec 2017, when I bought it there were a few different models, the E5577 didn't have the external antenna inputs but the E5577C did, looking now the E5577C is not available so that model has probably been discontinued but the E5577S still has the external antenna inputs although it is £20 more expensive

E5577S.jpg

I bought an E5577C 2 months ago, and it had the dual antenna connections under the flap as indicated above. I've got it connected to a Panorama LPMMB 6-60 antenna and very happy with the performance.

For info on the EE data limit when abroad, I just changed to a contract with them yesterday, and after I committed to the contract I remembered to clarify their data limits when abroad. According to the guy on the phone the 50Gb limit is not rigidly enforced. He said it was only there if someone was using lots of data probably for business purposes.

In addition we have never needed a vpn to get iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon prime etc abroad using data from SIM cards. Works absolutely fine.

@5andy

Did you fill in the on-line form which seems to need a lot of personal information?

Whatever you do, don't buy the Poynting omnidirectional antenna, they are utter crap. I think it is just an empty plastic enclosure with two wires coming out of it. :oops:

This is the one that I mean. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poynting-4...JVAVV4B2ZWA&psc=1&refRID=DZCWH96B5JVAVV4B2ZWA
Whereas I think Poynting are one of the few manufacturers of Antennas that actually tell the truth, that one is claimed at 2-4dBi gain across the bands, some will claim 10dBi for an Omni, which is never going to happen.

I have their MIMO 03/02 connected to a netgear mifi and it works pretty well. It is also 5G ready too.This one to be specific.

I may be misunderstanding your question xsilvergs, but I haven’t filled in any online forms.

I started to fill in the form on the EE web site for their 200gb sim but gave up do to the number of questions.

Is there a way of getting an EE sim without using the formon the website?

I bought one of those Jim and it worked well in weak signal areas, I lent it to another member to try and she was impressed enough to buy one so perhaps you bought a duff one

You are right Terry, it is a duff one. The company I bought it from only give a few months warranty and when I contacted them they said they would talk to the maker ..... and then it went quiet. On Wednesday I emailed the maker and within 24 hours the seller was emailing me with all kinds of helpful advice. :)

I have not asked for my money back but I did explain that I would warn other people on the motorhome forums that the product was a dead loss. I await their reply. In the meantime I am looking at other types of directional aerial as they have longer range than an Omni.

I have a netgear air card 790s with a virgin media unlimited data sim that you get free with the unlimited oooomph package (big family all hammering the Internet) any way I chose that card over the 5577 as you can connect more devices to it. 15 is the maximum. It has the same aerial connectors for ab external aerial. Now regarding that. My motorhome is only a month old and I wouldnt mind having an external aerial on the roof, for places with low cellular signal, but I am wary of drilling the roof myself so need to have a think on that. Anyway it works really good. My daughters watch Netflix with no issues whilst travelling. It tends to get better reception than the mobiles I have found anyway although only slightly. I got my daughter a 3 unlimited sim card as well, it was a 2 year contract @ £20/month, 6 months half price and I got £75 back from top cashback which over the 24 months works put at £14.50 ish.
I got the wifi router from www.tabletphonecase.com it was £75 I think.

Hope this helps

I have a netgear air card 790s with a virgin media unlimited data sim that you get free with the unlimited oooomph package (big family all hammering the Internet) any way I chose that card over the 5577 as you can connect more devices to it. 15 is the maximum. It has the same aerial connectors for ab external aerial. Now regarding that. My motorhome is only a month old and I wouldnt mind having an external aerial on the roof, for places with low cellular signal, but I am wary of drilling the roof myself so need to have a think on that.
If you buy a Poynting 5-in-1 MIMO you only have to drill one hole and the antenna seals to the roof so no water ingress

31vgiY4Y+tL._AC_SY450_.jpg

3 mobile were doing a 4G setup for £18 on a 2 year contract, ended the end of September.

Currently its £22 per month.

I have a 5G router in my van on Three £18 unlimited 12 month Contract, I bought the router separate and get amazing download speeds in 5G areas otherwise it works on 4G. I get free streaming and have Netflix on my tv so if not in a good Freeview tv signal area although I’ve got Freesat as well I don’t have to set up my dish as I can just watch Netflix.

We use a MIFI at home and abroad with a Vodaphone SIM card. It generally works very well. Watching Netflix, BBC iPlayer etc is fine if you don’t mind the occasional freezing of the screen. Can I ask what the problem with Smarty sim is, as I too have been looking at this. I thought it was 3 who were the provider And am not aware of any widespread problems.
Yes Smarty is Three and is just as good

I use ExpressVPN and can watch iPlayer anywhere in the world. I don’t have sky. My opinion of Sky is this: I sit flicking through Freeview channels for free saying to myself “Theres nothing on” but knowing full well (as I have witnessed this on many occasions) someone that pays £56 a month for SKY is sitting saying the same thing. This VPN is expensive so will be trying a cheaper solution next year. Hope this helps.

Yes, I do that on 3 network. You can tether on laptop, no problems. Does not kill the phone battery in any way. But while traveling the reception might be very bad. I would like a portable amplifier but I don't know how to find such a thing. I don't want antennas that needs mounted, I want the car to stay as simple as possible.
Keep in mind...You can’t amplify a signal that does not exist. If it’s a poor quality signal, amplifying it won’t give you a better signal. Using an antenna only really helps (and by not that much) if you have direct line of site of a mast. I’m my experience, this usually isn’t the case. When you head for the Scottish Highlands, you have to accept that sending a text can be an issue in certain parts, so streaming Netflix isn’t even on the table in places. My experience has been that EE or EE piggybacked services were better than 3 on the NC500. I was amazed at the EE coverage. Not so impressed with 3 in those areas, but with 3, I can step off a plane in the US, switch my phone on and make calls and check emails for free whilst I wait for my US number to wake up, which I couldn’t do with EE...for free. So, that’s why I jumped to 3. Horses for courses.

Assuming that you’re happy with your contract provider then I’d take a look at motorhomewifi.com they can sell you the MiFi device & an external aerial if you need it.
You can do it much cheaper than that company if you source the parts elsewhere and set up yourself. I don’t think their after sales service is up to much. Snippy replies from a cheeky pup is what I found....AND I was trying to help one of HIS customers sort an issue with HIS equipment. I got ripped off with one of their WI-FI boosters. Overpriced. I won’t use them again.

I have found an aerial socket on my huawei modem it was much smaller a port than Iwas expecting for the aerial connector on the poynting puck. It does need a tiny little socket but not generally available, Iordered one from eBay an found it is coming from China and takes a month to come by post.The actual modem works fine but no better than the ipad stand alone, the aerial will make the difference in the van as the faraday cage effect will go, in areas of weaker signals. I have an EE sim at 100gb for £32 per month. I can use it at homean if enough gb I ca ditch the thieving virgin mob who keep putting the price up for less and less input. We are dropping the unwatched Tv altogether and stop paying the BBC licence for the lies they are putting out and we never watch Now at all.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back