Vaccine information

I certainly won't be rushing out to get the vaccine although before long it will become mandatory.
If I'm forced to have it ( restrictions on travel/access etc) then I would see the Oxford/AS one the least risky.
I have little to no faith in the mRNA vaccines.
From the link at the top of the thread.
'The Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech versions, on the other hand, are arguably even more pioneering. Both contain countless miniscule fragments of mRNA, which – as with the adenovirus-based vaccine – encode the spike protein from the surface of Covid-19. They are the only mRNA vaccines to have ever been approved for use in humans.
Without other mRNA vaccines to compare them to, the world is in uncharted territory.
As Ronald Corley, professor of microbiology at Boston University, recently explained in an interview with the university news magazine, there are many unknowns, such as whether they will work just as well in people from different ethnicities, and how long immunity will last.'

I choose not to be a guinea pig, plus having had covid19 at the beginning of November my immune system fought it off very well (plenty of D3) the only lingering left over is a lack of sense of smell.
If you look deeply the vaccines do not stop you getting covid neither does it stop you passing it on, it just reduces your symptoms which for a lot of people could be the difference between life and death and worth the risk. The long term risk of the vaccine is obviously greater in the young.
No, I'm not an antivaxer having had loads of vaccinations over the years and quite recently had several more for travel - I neither asked nor cared what they were. I won't hesitate to have future tried and tested vaccines.
Just my thoughts on the subject - not going to get in an argument with anyone over it.

Last time i got a flu jab it near killed me, never had one since or the flue, so not to sure about whats been handed out now if it dont help 100% or let me loose on the public.

Last time i got a flu jab it near killed me, never had one since or the flue, so not to sure about whats been handed out now if it dont help 100% or let me loose on the public.
I had flu jabs for about 4 years in a row from around 2012 and always felt shite afterwards for a couple of months I gave it a miss 1 year and felt fine tried another one the following year back to feeling crap - not had one since. I did wonder at the time why I chose to have the flu jab as I've never had 'real' flu only man flu (bad cold)

I certainly won't be rushing out to get the vaccine although before long it will become mandatory.
If I'm forced to have it ( restrictions on travel/access etc) then I would see the Oxford/AS one the least risky.
I have little to no faith in the mRNA vaccines.
From the link at the top of the thread.
'The Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech versions, on the other hand, are arguably even more pioneering. Both contain countless miniscule fragments of mRNA, which – as with the adenovirus-based vaccine – encode the spike protein from the surface of Covid-19. They are the only mRNA vaccines to have ever been approved for use in humans.
Without other mRNA vaccines to compare them to, the world is in uncharted territory.
As Ronald Corley, professor of microbiology at Boston University, recently explained in an interview with the university news magazine, there are many unknowns, such as whether they will work just as well in people from different ethnicities, and how long immunity will last.'

I choose not to be a guinea pig, plus having had covid19 at the beginning of November my immune system fought it off very well (plenty of D3) the only lingering left over is a lack of sense of smell.
If you look deeply the vaccines do not stop you getting covid neither does it stop you passing it on, it just reduces your symptoms which for a lot of people could be the difference between life and death and worth the risk. The long term risk of the vaccine is obviously greater in the young.
No, I'm not an antivaxer having had loads of vaccinations over the years and quite recently had several more for travel - I neither asked nor cared what they were. I won't hesitate to have future tried and tested vaccines.
Just my thoughts on the subject - not going to get in an argument with anyone over it.

All vaccines have to be tried and results checked. It's the only way we progress the science. No body has died yet but any number could have been saved we just don't know. All pioneering medicine is risky. The smallpox vaccine was the first vaccine to be developed against a contagious disease. In 1796, the British doctor Edward Jenner demonstrated that an infection with the relatively mild cowpox virus conferred immunity against the deadly smallpox virus. In 1796 I don't think there was such a thing as clinical trials, nothing like we had this time with thousands of people rolling up their sleeves to help. Many have said that it has all been rushed but it hasn't. A drug company would look at a problem and then do some research with very small doses on a couple of people and wait and see what reaction they had. Once they had the information they would have to put a case forward for more money to conduct further trials. Then write up all their findings and put forward a case for a large scale trial. All this can take years because they have to find volunteers and everything has to be double blind tested so no one knows if they got the real drug or not. Tests have to be stopped if someone is taken ill until they find out if it's anything to do with the drug being tested.

So you can rest assured that it has been tested and everyone should have the vaccine as soon as they are eligible. The more people who have the vaccine the more information will be fed back to the researches and this will help with the production of even better vaccines in the future.

All vaccines have to be tried and results checked. It's the only way we progress the science. No body has died yet but any number could have been saved we just don't know. All pioneering medicine is risky. The smallpox vaccine was the first vaccine to be developed against a contagious disease. In 1796, the British doctor Edward Jenner demonstrated that an infection with the relatively mild cowpox virus conferred immunity against the deadly smallpox virus. In 1796 I don't think there was such a thing as clinical trials, nothing like we had this time with thousands of people rolling up their sleeves to help. Many have said that it has all been rushed but it hasn't. A drug company would look at a problem and then do some research with very small doses on a couple of people and wait and see what reaction they had. Once they had the information they would have to put a case forward for more money to conduct further trials. Then write up all their findings and put forward a case for a large scale trial. All this can take years because they have to find volunteers and everything has to be double blind tested so no one knows if they got the real drug or not. Tests have to be stopped if someone is taken ill until they find out if it's anything to do with the drug being tested.

So you can rest assured that it has been tested and everyone should have the vaccine as soon as they are eligible. The more people who have the vaccine the more information will be fed back to the researches and this will help with the production of even better vaccines in the future.
All tested in the short term, neither we or the drug companies know the long term side affects which may not become known for a year or more. They haven't had years.
About 33 deaths in Norway have occurred after vaccinating seriously ill patients. Better to vaccinate those around them rather than the seriously ill.
1 fit doctor dies in Miami after the vaccine plus another medical worker in Portugal. Sure only a few that we know about.
Not for me thank you no mRNA vaccine. You do as you think best.
Anyway not another word on the subject on here from me.

These early results from Israel on the efficacy of the vaccine in the over 60s seems promising.

1611530255520.jpeg

There is always a small risk with any approved vaccine, emphasis on the 'small' !!!

Here's a perfect example.

This man, who happened to be a very close friend of a couple of retired medics I garden for in Durham, died from a yellow fever vaccine back in 2019.

He'd gone for the routine injections for the very first time.
Was about to travel on a special holiday, with his wife and another couple, where yellow fever vaccine is needed.

The article also says "The NHS estimates that these (vaccine) reactions occur less than 10 times for every million doses."
Please note that's 'reactions', not deaths!

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/11/...on-martin-gore-death-gbr-scli-intl/index.html

All tested in the short term, neither we or the drug companies know the long term side affects which may not become known for a year or more. They haven't had years.
About 33 deaths in Norway have occurred after vaccinating seriously ill patients. Better to vaccinate those around them rather than the seriously ill.
1 fit doctor dies in Miami after the vaccine plus another medical worker in Portugal. Sure only a few that we know about.
Not for me thank you no mRNA vaccine. You do as you think best.
Anyway not another word on the subject on here from me.

The Oxford vaccine was not developed for Covid it was developed for Ebola. They use the same way of delivery as they did for the Ebola vaccine that they have approved for use. There is always going to be a risk with any vaccine. What you have to weigh up is the chances of catching the virus and dying as apposed to having the vaccine and dying. Uk Gov are now considering vaccine passports. EU has also been discussing it. You cannot travel to certain parts of the world without vaccinations for some viruses.

There is always a small risk with any approved vaccine, emphasis on the 'small' !!!

Here's a perfect example.

This man, who happened to be a very close friend of a couple of retired medics I garden for in Durham, died from a yellow fever vaccine back in 2019.

He'd gone for the routine injections for the very first time.
Was about to travel on a special holiday, with his wife and another couple, where yellow fever vaccine is needed.

The article also says "The NHS estimates that these (vaccine) reactions occur less than 10 times for every million doses."
Please note that's 'reactions', not deaths!

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/11/...on-martin-gore-death-gbr-scli-intl/index.html
If he had been exposed to yellow fever it is very likely he would have died too. So sad. The Pfizer is not recommended or given to those with significant allergies ( requiring epipen use).
Most adverse reaction especially major ones occur in the first six weeks so have already been documented before rollout. There will always be a very very small risk of unknown reaction , but my take is that a reaction to the vaccine probably is an indication that the individual would have bad reaction to the disease if exposed. And a bad reaction to the disease is likely to be death eventually whereas that extremely unlikely with vaccination?

If he had been exposed to yellow fever it is very likely he would have died too. So sad. The Pfizer is not recommended or given to those with significant allergies ( requiring epipen use).
Most adverse reaction especially major ones occur in the first six weeks so have already been documented before rollout. There will always be a very very small risk of unknown reaction , but my take is that a reaction to the vaccine probably is an indication that the individual would have bad reaction to the disease if exposed. And a bad reaction to the disease is likely to be death eventually whereas that extremely unlikely with vaccination?

Thanks for that - exactly what I'm trying to say, Ruth.

The chances of dying from being given the vaccine are almost infinitesimally small (y)

I remember getting the Yellow Fever vaccination many years ago in the depths of Manchester Library. Along with thirty, or so, other people we were all instructed to bare the right arm and put your hand on your hip having formed a circle. Three medical staff, complete with a trolley of ready prepared syringes then processed around the circle. One pushing the trolley, another handing the syringes to the one plunging. A man positioned himself by the door handing out the pre-prepared certificates. Very efficient it was too, but I seem to remember at an exorbitant cost.

I remember getting the Yellow Fever vaccination many years ago in the depths of Manchester Library. Along with thirty, or so, other people we were all instructed to bare the right arm and put your hand on your hip having formed a circle. Three medical staff, complete with a trolley of ready prepared syringes then processed around the circle. One pushing the trolley, another handing the syringes to the one plunging. A man positioned himself by the door handing out the pre-prepared certificates. Very efficient it was too, but I seem to remember at an exorbitant cost.

Mine was either free or very cheap(?) from the local GP years ago.
Needed it for a trip to Thailand.

I remember being very ill for a few hours afterwards, mind! o_O :sick: 🥴

Soon recovered and was right as rain the next day (y) 😃

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back