Upsurge in camper sales etc

One of the questions I asked the car dealers when car shopping with my daughter was what the APR was on a car loan for my daughter, the cheapest we came across was 4.9% lowest and it went as high as 9.8% maximum. So it was the bank of mum and dad who supplied the credit, doesn't seem to be cheap finance on offer for the particular car she wanted. Dont know whether there are low interest finance deals on offer for motorhomes.

Sometimes you can secure better discounts if you take finance, last year I was looking at a new car at the local jaguar dealer, they had a new XJ in the showroom with a price tag of £75,000, however if I was to buy in on finance I could have it for £49,000 as Jaguar were making a contribution of 20,000 and the dealership made a contribution of £6,000, I declined on this occasion knowing how much money I had lost in 5 years ownership of an XJ.

We wanted a car that you sat up high in, the XJ you feel very low in, Unfortunately the F Pace we went to look at had no such deals.

I took finance on my last XJ, I was paying outright for it as I have always done, but the finance manager said I would loose out on three years free servicing if I paid for it outright, so I asked the question, what is the minimum amount I could borrow and what is the shortest term I could borrow it for, in order to gain the three free services, he made the phone call as this had not been requested before, the answer was £7,000 and I had to have the loan for a minimum of 21 days, so I agreed and paid it off on the 25th day and sure enough a card came through the post that I just showed at the service desk whenever I had it serviced. Strangely enough Jaguar servicing becomes cheap after the vehicle is three years old and the warranty has expired, as they then offer fixed cost servicing.

I never use HP but buy cash from repo or old folk who just gave up or died,always got as new cars etc for buttons.

Trevs selfie. 😂

1594534696717.png

Was checking last night and my normal 20% discount on Suzuki's has been withdrawn, not sure if this is due to them having high sales at moment.

Trev is a man who appreciates the value of money and how hard you have to work for it, and I agree 100% with his philosophy.

Nowt wrong with that, is there Trev? Waste not want not. Excessive consumerism hasn't exactly helped our wee world, has it?

I concede there are those who genuinely love the combustion engine and the metal boxes designed around them, but they are a different kettle of fish to the majority of folk where I reckon the 'flashier' vehicles are often bought just to show off (with a wee bit of personal insecurity chucked in occasionally?).

I've known plenty of rich folk who don't go round in flashy vehicles. One good friend (landed gentry) buys his vehicles new then runs them until they can't run any more before replacing. He used to run around in a VW Jetta owned from new which finally pegged it at well over 1 million. Regularly serviced and parts replaced when necessary, but other than that no way would he splash out on a new car until absolutely necessary. And definitely not because he couldn't afford to.

Not like young premier league footballers and their wives who consume half the worldly goods on the planet every 12 months from what I can tell.
Plus plenty of other rich folk who are parasites when it comes to using (wasting!) the world's resources.

Just sayin' ;)

The lockdown has cost some people a lot but others have plenty of spare cash because, if it is still coming in, there has been very little to spend money on for 3 - 4 months. Also, interest rates are virtually zero at the moment, which makes borrowing money much more affordable for many.

People never learn though. Some may have done alright financially on lock down but we face a really uncertain future. Unless you have plenty of cash available borrowing a load of dosh for a big ticket item like a motorhome is a risky strategy. The fall out from all of this could be immense with a lot of job losses.

My theory is to hang on, could well be a glut of vans nobody can afford anymore by the winter and the prices may well go in the other direction.

Trev is a man who appreciates the value of money and how hard you have to work for it, and I agree 100% with his philosophy.

Nowt wrong with that, is there Trev? Waste not want not. Excessive consumerism hasn't exactly helped our wee world, has it?

I concede there are those who genuinely love the combustion engine and the metal boxes designed around them, but they are a different kettle of fish to the majority of folk where I reckon the 'flashier' vehicles are often bought just to show off (with a wee bit of personal insecurity chucked in occasionally?).

I've known plenty of rich folk who don't go round in flashy vehicles. One good friend (landed gentry) buys his vehicles new then runs them until they can't run any more before replacing. He used to run around in a VW Jetta owned from new which finally pegged it at well over 1 million. Regularly serviced and parts replaced when necessary, but other than that no way would he splash out on a new car until absolutely necessary. And definitely not because he couldn't afford to.

Not like young premier league footballers and their wives who consume half the worldly goods on the planet every 12 months from what I can tell.
Plus plenty of other rich folk who are parasites when it comes to using (wasting!) the world's resources.

Just sayin' ;)
Long may the luxury car market flourish, first to decline last to recover, but it put bread on my table for a couple of years as it did other families

Peoples emotional insecurities was never my problem, the real wealthy folk and not the aspires as a rule always found ok

Long may the luxury car market flourish, first to decline last to recover, but it put bread on my table for a couple of years as it did other families

Peoples emotional insecurities was never my problem, the real wealthy folk and not the aspires as a rule always found ok
Did you eyes glass over when the drongoes walked in with the wallet in hand,sales men where i worked used to talk and larf at lunch time about the dafties.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back