UPDATED Post new spots direct from your phone/tablet

Canalsman

Updated 31st July 2016:

If you have a smartphone or tablet, here's how you can send in a new location easily.

The best option is to use our very own Wild Camping app for Apple or Android smartphones and tablets.

Full details can be found here:

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-applications/43019-iphone-ipad-ios-wild-camping-app.html

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/wild-camping-applications/38357-android-wild-camping-app.html

Alternatively there are apps available just for this purpose.

For Android, install the free app GPS Share. This allows you to send your current location via email.

For iPhone, install the free app Here I Am. This too allows you to send your current location via email.

For Windows phone, install the free app GPSInfo (v1.6).

If you're on the road and see a new wild camping location, all you need to do is stop briefly, if it's safe to do so, and use either of these apps to tell me about a new place.

The email address to use is poi@wildcamping.co.uk ...

IMPORTANT

You MUST have GPS enabled on your phone otherwise the location that's sent may be (literally) miles out!

Smartphones are able to deduce their position based on the phone network alone, but it can be very inaccurate :(

And finally ...

You don't need a mobile broadband connection to submit a POI location using any of these methods. An email created by an app will be stored in the Outbox until such time that a connection becomes available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would someone with an iPhone like to try this out for me?

Any location will do - doesn't need to be a wilding spot ...

Just want to be able to report that the 'Here I Am' app works the way I think it will :)

If someone with an Android phone would like to try out 'GPS Share' as well, that too would be great.

Thank you!

Chris

just sent from iPhone and Here I Am - my lounge not a real POI

That has worked well - hope this process will help everyone pinpoint new spots when they're on their travels :)

poi

Would someone with an iPhone like to try this out for me?

Any location will do - doesn't need to be a wilding spot ...

Just want to be able to report that the 'Here I Am' app works the way I think it will :)

If someone with an Android phone would like to try out 'GPS Share' as well, that too would be great.

Thank you!

Chris

Hi, just sent you a email using my android phone and GPS Share.
Hope Iv'e done it right.

grumpyengraver

It works!

Please give it a try when you're out and about :)

Thanks ...

Just sent one as a test. The first one said I was in the North Sea until I realised I had to put a - symbol for degrees West! It was also 4500 metres out. I did it again and it says its 93 metres out which on the streetview when I google co-ordinates is about right as you can see our van down the road about 93 metres away where I am if that makes sense.

I could only load the 2008 version as the latest one doesnt seem to want to run on my iPhone which is a 3G.

Great idea though but definately worth checking the accuracy before you email them off.

Thanks for trying it, Barry.

I will be checking all the submissions made this way for accuracy, and to complete all the necessary info.

Once an entry is made using either app, a support ticket is generated automatically, and this is then routed to me for action, and reply.

Regards

Chris

IMPORTANT

You MUST have GPS enabled on your phone otherwise the location that's sent may be (literally) miles out!

Smartphones are able to deduce their position based on the phone network alone, but it can be very inaccurate :(

Great idea. I wish I'd known about it this weekend, it would have saved me from having to check maps etc and then post details of some new POIs I've found!

I'll give the Android version a try.

You will need to have a data connection from your phone at the location, or else you may not be able to send the info via email.

Although it's probably feasible to keep the app running till you do have a connection ...

Can I also send coordinates that i get otherwise to that email-adress? Which format should they have?

Maxda1st

Can I also send coordinates that i get otherwise to that email-adress? Which format should they have?

Maxda1st

Yes that should work - preferred format is degrees and decimal degrees e.g. 54.9944, -1.4589 :)

Come on now - someone must be out and about this weekend and able to post me a new location or two ... :)

Just had the first place logged :)

It works!

How about some more?

Ta ...

Chris

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back