UK to Slovenia

Steviesteve303

Hi everyone,

We are planning a road trip in our camper to Slovenia via France, Belgium, Germany and Austria. We have looked online and it seems we can travel through all these countries apart from Austria where we need a Vignette. Anyone driven through Austria? Is this something we can sort out at the border or do we need to do it in advance?

Cheers

I dont think I had one for Austria when we went to Slovenia but we are under 3500kg and didnt use toll roads / motorways. What I will say about Austria though is its fabulous especially the Austrian Lakes east of Salzburg. If your going that way, well worth a few weeks there and the Tirol region. I reckon a lot of motorhomes avoid Austria because of the dreaded Go box which is a shame as its stunning.

Vignette can usually be sorted at border plus some petrol stations, usually larger ones on M ways, or can purchase online as well.
Go box for over 3500KG sort out before you go.
Definitely worth going though, lakes or mountains its all stunning.

If you are careful you can avoid the vignette for Austria.
We drove from Italy via the old Brenner pass. Thus avoiding that extra payment.
Then round Innsbruck to Germany via the Fernpass.
Not checked how to get to Slovenia.
the vignette is not too costly anyway and on another trip coming back from Hungary we bought the vignette at the first petrol station.

I seem to also remember there was some kind of Vignette for Slovenia but again was only for motorways (best check). I also seem to remember we dodged that as well by pulling off after the pass from Austria into the Triglav national park and onto Lake Bled and Lake Bohinj.

Been a while since I last drove to Slovenia, but it’s a beautiful country, you need a vignette in Austria and Slovenia, neither cost enough to make it worth avoiding.

If you have the time do Croatia as well while your there.

The cost of the vignette for Austria is not expensive
.You can buy an 8 day pass.

We did that trip last September. Got Austria Vignette at first garage entering €9.90 for 7 days then Slovenia we bought online Slovenia vignette

We have been through Austria and Slovenia (and Croatia) 4 times. We have never paid for vignettes or any tolls.

We just set Google maps navigation through our head unit to 'no tolls' and it gives us an appropriate route. We also used the old Brenner Pass route on one trip down.

We have been through Austria and Slovenia (and Croatia) 4 times. We have never paid for vignettes or any tolls.

We just set Google maps navigation through our head unit to 'no tolls' and it gives us an appropriate route. We also used the old Brenner Pass route on one trip down.
It’s entirely possible to miss toll roads in Austria, but the effort evolved is too much to save a tenner in my opinion, I suspect if your transiting from Anger to Ljubljana avoiding toll roads will cost you more in fuel.

If your touring and have time to spare fair enough, but if your just transiting saving £10 and loosing 2.5 hours while risking ending up with a fine of 120€ for a mis route doesn’t add up in my opinion.

We do have time on our side.

The other stupid thing is you can apply for an e-vignette online but EU rules dictate a cooling off period that negates the whole process of a simple timely transaction.

On the motorway, the last service station before you cross into Austria and the first in Austria will sell you a vignette for (I think) 10 days. On normal roads, get one at the first filling station. On one trip we didn’t bother, and it was a pain not being able to use motorways or main roads. It doesn’t cost very much.

Unlike Switzerland, where you have to pay for a whole calendar year. If you go over a new year you pay double.

My suggestion is.
Enter Austria near Reutte.
1 The Fernpass to Innsbruck avoiding Mways.
Innsbruck was ok.
Head to Italy avoiding Mways and the Europabrucke.
Gschnitz is nice.
No tolls
Many other ways to get to Innsbruck !

2 to Italy and remain in Italy to Slovenia
Could go back into Auatra !

Or avoid Italy

Last edited:
Really easy to get a vignette, post office, service station, corner shop, loads of places do them and they're not overly expensive. It's handy to have one even if you intend to avoid the motorway as you can inadvertently end up on one by a diversion.
For me the low cost outweighs the risk of a fine. Make sure you stick it to the inside of your window as authorities get a little narked if you don't.
Happy travels, might see you in Germany / Austria in Jun/Jul.

We visit Austria in our MH which is over 3500kg so would need a GoBox if we went on certain roads however as has already been stated, the Fern and Brenner Passes are traversable on B roads without needing a vignette or GoBox. Lovely drive too.

Mind you for less than €10 for a vignette I would get one personally just in case.

A vignette is needed in Slovenia too, as mentioned, for certain roads...

No one has mentioned driving the “Grossglockner pass” , the highest mountain road in Austria. Well worth the diversion if you have a head for heights, I only did it once in my last van and set the brakes alight on the descent, just saying .

There's a separate toll for that road/pass IIRC. I did it back in 2005 in my TVR - stunning.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back