UK Diesel Emission Claims.

In short, these claims could take years and the 'predicted' thousands of pounds compensation may be unlikely.

I think in my case, whatever, if anything is awarded they take 35%.

It's a 'nothing to lose' job so why not go for it. (there is some risk involved but very slight).

More here;

Think I’ve had about 12 different cars and vans over that period some new some nearly new all diesel as I’m a farmer at hart. Wonder if I should look into it. I just don’t trust these phone calls you get and I think that’s what has put me off .

Well worth looking into it Wully.

You just need to check eligibility on their website. They don't ask for bank details or anything like that.

Bought a VW Passat estate new 2013, sold it 2017. Wasn't going to bother about the emissions claim. Was encouraged to do so by my son and one of his friends high up in VW group. Put my name down and about 18 months later got paid a not insignificant amount.
I think VW/Audi and whichever brands fall under their umbrella have now been settled worldwide.
Other brands are available and may still be ongoing.
Worth looking into.

Bought a VW Passat estate new 2013, sold it 2017. Wasn't going to bother about the emissions claim. Was encouraged to do so by my son and one of his friends high up in VW group. Put my name down and about 18 months later got paid a not insignificant amount.
I think VW/Audi and whichever brands fall under their umbrella have now been settled worldwide.
Other brands are available and may still be ongoing.
Worth looking into.

Renault certainly are Tim and many others, yes still ongoing.

I've known emission figures before buying, but have still gone for the motor with the most oomph.

That doesn't mean I think manufacturers should get away with deception.

I've known them too Mark - or thought I did and still gone for the van/car that suited me rather than how much crap it's pumping out.

It's not just about environmental issues though. A vehicles value is determined by many factors and in recent years Diesel emissions has become one of them, so for the big makers to manipulate these figures is fraudulent.

Would I have still bought my Renault had the emissions figures been higher, probably yes. Would I have liked to have bought it for a couple of grand less? (ie it's true value), definitely yes.

A mini countryman is eligible and our claim is still ongoing, and looks like it might be for quite a few years, but eh ho its free.

I wonder can you claim for a tractor, known here as a Ballyclare sports car.
tractor.jpg

But why let the big car makers get away with such deception?
Have the manufacturers sought to deceive anyone? I don't think so! IMO, the big car makers are getting away with nothing as they met the letter (even if not the spirit) of the law and merely exploited a loophole (to the benefit of their customers, who paid less VED).

In a 1975 speech, economist Charles Goodhart noted, "Any observed statistical regularity will tend to collapse once pressure is placed upon it for control purposes." This has morphed into what is known today as Goodhart's Law, and often cited as "Any measure ceases to be a good measure once it becomes a target." Goodhart's Law applies here as much as anywhere else.

Here's a hypothetical illustration of Goodhart's Law: let's assume that a diktat is issued that an increasing percentage of vehicles a manufacturer produces must be "zero emission" year on year. The penalty for non-compliance is (say) a fine of £15,000 for every ICEV over the allowed proportion. Now, the manufacturers can produce an EV at a net cost cheaper than the £15,000 fine (if we don't consider the batteries). So, it makes sense to make EVs that they cannot sell and they produce enough EVs with tiny batteries (or make the batteries an option) to keep themselves in compliance. The manufacturer is happy because they can keep producing the ICEVs that they can sell and production volume has increased. The legislators are happy because an increasing number of cars produced are EVs and so can claim political kudos. However, the actual number of EVs sold (as opposed to manufactured and/or registered) is tiny, but they've met the target [and helped destroy the environment by creating 'graveyards' full of cars that nobody wants (just like in China), and in reality achieved the opposite of what the legislation intended in the process]. See the linked YT below for more on Goodhart's Law...

So, what did those 'naughty' 'diesel gate' manufacturers do? The regulations rewarded them for achieving low emissions under specific test conditions and didn't then check whether that was typical across the operational envelope. That measure thus became a target to be minimised even at the expense of real-world emissions. The legislation/testing was thus at fault, not the manufacturers (who merely followed 'standard business strategy'). The rules actively encouraged manufacturers to do what they did, yet it is they rather than the rule makers who are paying.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back