Tyres

sdjksx

I am considering putting all weather tyres on the front wheels of my Ford Auto Trail Tribute T615 (2013) motorhome.
But concerned that it may affect the fuel consumption.
Anyone got any experience of this?

I am considering putting all weather tyres on the front wheels of my Ford Auto Trail Tribute T615 (2013) motorhome.
But concerned that it may affect the fuel consumption.
Anyone got any experience of this?
You won’t notice any difference in fuel consumption

I was doing courier work most days doing 500 miles a day in all weather conditions, and have never felt anything wrong.
I could understand if it was just one on one side bit both on the front or the rear I have never had a problem

I was doing courier work most days doing 500 miles a day in all weather conditions, and have never felt anything wrong.
I could understand if it was just one on one side bit both on the front or the rear I have never had a problem
And I can testify to there being a big differance in grip levels in snow that causes a problem. Maybe you can point to a review or advice online which agrees with you, meanwhile if you google "can I fit all weather tyres to one axle", you will find countless advice to say you shouldn't do it, and I would advise anyone to take heed of that advice.

And I can testify to there being a big differance in grip levels in snow that causes a problem. Maybe you can point to a review or advice online which agrees with you, meanwhile if you google "can I fit all weather tyres to one axle", you will find countless advice to say you shouldn't do it, and I would advise anyone to take heed of that advice.
Don’t disagree but you will always end up with unbalanced grip as the front tyres will loose their tread depth faster than the rears, assuming it’s a fwd vehicle.

Don’t disagree but you will always end up with unbalanced grip as the front tyres will loose their tread depth faster than the rears, assuming it’s a fwd vehicle.
That's true to some extent, but you might want to consider why tyre manufacturers and fitters are happy to advise fitting new tyres on one axle, but not fitting all weather tyres on one axle, I can testify to the reason.

I fitted four season tyres all round and there was no noticeable difference in fuel consumption

I just fitted a pair of Michelin cross climates and did 9000 miles and it had no effect at all on fuel consumption and I keep a full record of all my fuel for the past 68000 miles. Only fitted to the fronts and we had atrocious weather for a lot of those miles and we didn’t crash once, despite going up and down mountains in Norway.

I just fitted a pair of Michelin cross climates and did 9000 miles and it had no effect at all on fuel consumption and I keep a full record of all my fuel for the past 68000 miles. Only fitted to the fronts and we had atrocious weather for a lot of those miles and we didn’t crash once, despite going up and down mountains in Norway.
Are they any noisier than your previous tyres?

Not that I can tell.

as a matter of interest when they were fitted they had 9mm tread depth, rather than the 10mm the old camper tyres did. I’ve checked them now after 9000 miles and they’re down to 5mm. That suggests perhaps another 6/7000 miles and they’ll need changing.

We had 2 x ‘maxxi’ all season camper tyres fitted to the front to come away few weeks back, as the ‘conti’s on the rear were still over 5mm, cost £320 the pair compared to over £500 for continentals, made no difference to anything as far as I can tell, fuel consumption still 33.3mpg which is around where I would expect.

Because it unbalances the grip, you might not notice it in average conditions, but in cold icy or snowy conditions it is downright dangerous.
There's costs to consider, not everyone can afford to fit an extra 2 tyres on the rear if not needed.
I can see some mileage in what you're saying but I'd imagine the advice is more from a theoretical stand point and takes into account a wide variety of drivers mostly in cars. Your average car is built to understeer because understeer is way easier to deal with when you run out of grip than oversteer is so I get that suddenly having a car which now oversteers could be dodgy for your average car driver/white van man, however we're talking about a MH/camper driver, hardly Verstappen territory surely?
Personally I wouldn't hesitate to put all weathers on the front only because :-
A, I don't think I'm likely to be driving in snow and ice anyway and if I did get caught out I'd feel I'd have the gumption to not to go balls out and push it so far as to lose the arse end.
B, IF i did find myself in snow or a mud then the additional grip from the all weather's would probably be needed to be able to move in the first place!
Could be wrong though of course:unsure:

We had 2 x ‘maxxi’ all season camper tyres fitted to the front to come away few weeks back, as the ‘conti’s on the rear were still over 5mm, cost £320 the pair compared to over £500 for continentals, made no difference to anything as far as I can tell, fuel consumption still 33.3mpg which is around where I would expect.
Any difference in noise in the cab and ride quality would you say? Looking for similar myself but really don't want any additional vibration (I like my fillings 😬) and noise. Cheers.

I can’t remember now so this is a question rather than a statement. Doesn’t it make a difference if the vehicle is front or rear wheel drive as to what is best with fitting new tyres? I seem to think with front wheel drive fit new on front then best two on rears. Rear wheel drive full set?

I can see some mileage in what you're saying but I'd imagine the advice is more from a theoretical stand point and takes into account a wide variety of drivers mostly in cars. Your average car is built to understeer because understeer is way easier to deal with when you run out of grip than oversteer is so I get that suddenly having a car which now oversteers could be dodgy for your average car driver/white van man, however we're talking about a MH/camper driver, hardly Verstappen territory surely?
Having owned a Seven for 33 years, and it used to be my daily driver for over 20 years, I'm well used to driving on opposite lock, esp. in rain, it's great fun to drive in the snow if you know what you're doing, however having two cross climates on the rear of my Suzi was a nightmare in the snow.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back