Tyre pressure monitors. To buy or avoid.

Interesting points raised here, many people have had a few systems too, So looking from the other side (post hijack!) IF you haven't fitted (or arent fitted OE) do you think you have had a disaster because you DIDN'T have them?
On various vehicles I've had a cheap unbranded one, a TyrePal and currently don't have one fitted. Not had a disaster with or without, fingers crossed that will continue.
Out of the two, I do prefer the tyrepal, only because the display is better/clearer. I might get round to fitting it again, on the other hand I might not.

Will be ready for new tyres April'ish and will take a serious look at the TyrePal internal sensors. They say batteries last between 3 and 5 years, I pretty much change tyres every 3 to 4 years so may be alright. If I kept tyres on long I'd probably stick with external sensors.

Just another gadget with some useful info really, useful info you can easily manage without. :LOL:

On various vehicles I've had a cheap unbranded one, a TyrePal and currently don't have one fitted. Not had a disaster with or without, fingers crossed that will continue.
Out of the two, I do prefer the tyrepal, only because the display is better/clearer. I might get round to fitting it again, on the other hand I might not.

Will be ready for new tyres April'ish and will take a serious look at the TyrePal internal sensors. They say batteries last between 3 and 5 years, I pretty much change tyres every 3 to 4 years so may be alright. If I kept tyres on long I'd probably stick with external sensors.

Just another gadget with some useful info really, useful info you can easily manage without. :LOL:
I disagree on your closing sentiment!

Having a blowout due to pressure loss is no fun in a car let alone in a heavy motorhome. I know - I've had it happen at speed on a motorway.

It is a basic safety item. That is why they were made a compulsory manufacturer fitment!!

I disagree on your closing sentiment!

Having a blowout due to pressure loss is no fun in a car let alone in a heavy motorhome. I know - I've had it happen at speed on a motorway.

It is a basic safety item. That is why they were made a compulsory manufacturer fitment!!
I had a blowout on the M1 in the late 90's and that's my concern TBF. It WAS however a twin wheel transit MH and the tyre concerned was on the rear. I'm not sure if it went down with a bang or it had deflated over an hour or whatever and I hadn't noticed due to it being twin wheel?
I'd like to think I'd feel a half deflated tyre on the current 6M conversion but the fact that I may not is bothering me quite honestly.

I'm considering buying a set for my motorcycle having read this thread.

It can be more critical on a bike and it would be nice to know when the tyres have reached optimum temperature.

I'm considering buying a set for my motorcycle having read this thread.

It can be more critical on a bike and it would be nice to know when the tyres have reached optimum temperature.
I have been using the aftermarket sensors for a few years now and wouldn't want to be without them - but I've always wondered about the accuracy of the temperature function. I can see how heat would be conducted through a metal valve, but I can't see how it works with the normal rubber valve (or whatever material it is).

I have been using the aftermarket sensors for a few years now and wouldn't want to be without them - but I've always wondered about the accuracy of the temperature function. I can see how heat would be conducted through a metal valve, but I can't see how it works with the normal rubber valve (or whatever material it is).

I've no idea how the technology works so I just have to go by reviews on various makes. I'm still no better off which ones to go for.

I guess you get what you pay for?

Can you please let us know what brand they are? A picture of the dash unit if not? How long have you been using them please

I don't have TPM on my Moho, (Cars yes and they occasionally have shown a low pressure alarm) but have had two blowouts, one on the motorway @ 62MPH overtaking a truck, that was pretty scary, back wheel. Breakdown services replaced it.
The other, country road 30 mph , small bang, dog barked even louder 😀, pulled over tyre changed. Not sure if any TPM would or wouldn't have warmed me in advance. So could be tempted to buy some too.

Can you please let us know what brand they are? A picture of the dash unit if not? How long have you been using them please
It's a generic unbranded type, available on Ebay or amazon. The photo isn't good as the van is parked up with the screen cover on, so had to use flash.
This model won't display pressures over 4.5 bar (about 65psi), many won't go over 3.5 bar so if you run higher pressures you'll need to look carefully at the specs.
I've had it for over 4 years.

Attachments

• IMG_20231215_154218.jpg
    IMG_20231215_154218.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 26

For the bike Merl, I've gone for one of these for starters.

Dirt cheap and looks identical to others on Amazon and if it's junk I've not lost a great deal. I will check it against my mates manual pressure gauge for accuracy.

For the bike Merl, I've gone for one of these for starters.

Dirt cheap and looks identical to others on Amazon and if it's junk I've not lost a great deal. I will check it against my mates manual pressure gauge for accuracy.
Looks ok, the difference from the car ones is that there's no solar charging. I always leave mine plugged into a usb anyway.

Looks ok, the difference from the car ones is that there's no solar charging. I always leave mine plugged into a usb anyway.

They do one at Temu for bikes with solar charging as well for a similar price but I will leave this one plugged into the USB on the bike.

I'm only testing the waters really, if it's crap I'll bin it and go for more of a brand name.

When fitting them I put a smear of silicone grease on the o ring to make sure there's no air leak, and also a bit on the thread to make it easier to remove if required

Good shout.

I also read somewhere that you should get the wheels re-balanced as the sensors weigh a bit more than standard caps. Is it really enough to make a difference?

Good shout.

I also read somewhere that you should get the wheels re-balanced as the sensors weigh a bit more than standard caps. Is it really enough to make a difference?
Well as far as the motorhome is concerned, the wheels are heavy enough that my old limbs can only just lift them back into position when I've taken them off, so I reckon the weight of the sensor is such a small proportion of the total that it makes no difference. I've never noticed any unbalance at the steering wheel anyway.
It may be that the added weight on a motorbike wheel is a different matter, I assume they weigh much less.

Well as far as the motorhome is concerned, the wheels are heavy enough that my old limbs can only just lift them back into position when I've taken them off, so I reckon the weight of the sensor is such a small proportion of the total that it makes no difference. I've never noticed any unbalance at the steering wheel anyway.
It may be that the added weight on a motorbike wheel is a different matter, I assume they weigh much less.
Carry a long flat bar, place on ground where wheel goes, roll wheel over and then lift up to match studs, i use my extra long wheel socket bar for this, its about i mtr long.

Good shout.

Yep, quite a lot of reviews say the lock nut corrodes and then it's hard to separate the cap or indeed the nut off so some silicone grease would be a decent idea.
I guess you'll know when you get them on Rob, certainly wont be getting mine re-balanced if everything feels the same during driving.

Yep, quite a lot of reviews say the lock nut corrodes and then it's hard to separate the cap or indeed the nut off so some silicone grease would be a decent idea.

I guess you'll know when you get them on Rob, certainly wont be getting mine re-balanced if everything feels the same during driving.
The current generation of TyrePal does not use lock nuts.

The addition of the sensors makes no difference to the wheel balance.

The corroding issue reviews must be a good few years old by now, maybe 8/10 years.

Cheers for the info, do you have a brand or picture of the dash unit? How long have you had them?
Cheers merl
I've had one in the car for about ten years, dating from when my wheels kept going flat (corroded alloys) and one in the motorhome about eight years.

However, neither are in use at present because the batteries need replacing and although I have spare batteries, I'm out of round tuits.

This looks like the one I have in the car, though it's not the same model: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SDYGDB-Pressure-Monitoring-Wireless-Waterproof/dp/B0B822DLPB

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back