Tyre pressure monitors. To buy or avoid.

For the bike Merl, I've gone for one of these for starters.

Dirt cheap and looks identical to others on Amazon and if it's junk I've not lost a great deal. I will check it against my mates manual pressure gauge for accuracy.

Thanks for that Rob I’ve now ordered the same for my Thunderbird and also a tpms set for my T6.

John

The current generation of TyrePal does not use lock nuts.

The addition of the sensors makes no difference to the wheel balance.
I think the lock nuts are more to do with being an supposed anti-theft feature rather than ensuring the sensors don't undo themselves. the sets I have have the locking nuts but I never use them and never lost a sensor yet.

I think the lock nuts are more to do with being an supposed anti-theft feature rather than ensuring the sensors don't undo themselves. the sets I have have the locking nuts but I never use them and never lost a sensor yet.

I will try mine without the locking nuts when they arrive if that is the case and they are only anti theft.

I very rarely leave my bike unattended or out of my eyesight and it is locked away overnight. Sounds a bit of a pain to have to get a little spanner out if all I want to do is add a couple of Llbs.

I bought Tire Insight ones for our Warwick Duo and another set for when I changed to some winter tyres for continental winter use but didnt fit them as we decided to change vans. I still have the set if you are interested and although you can have them for nothing I would appreciate £20 for our Villiage Playground fund although that isnt a condition just a suggestion. PM me

See https://www.easywheel.nl/product/cub-wireless-tpms-retrofit-kit-bp-45/

Advertised on here after sale of Warwick

I bought Tire Insight ones for our Warwick Duo and another set for when I changed to some winter tyres for continental winter use but didnt fit them as we decided to change vans. I still have the set if you are interested and although you can have them for nothing I would appreciate £20 for our Villiage Playground fund although that isnt a condition just a suggestion. PM me

See https://www.easywheel.nl/product/cub-wireless-tpms-retrofit-kit-bp-45/

Advertised on here after sale of Warwick
Hello!
Thanks so much for the offer but due to the radio going caput only last week I've decided to go for a new android head unit and the relevant TPMS to interface with the display on that.
To be honest I don't think the WC forum is the best place to sell, Your unit is small and can be posted so an eBay auction would probably work better for you?
Anyway, thanks again, seasons greetings to you. All the best for the new year 🤗

Thanks for your greetings and please accept mine to you and yours.

Good luck with the android head unit and the relevant TPMS. Do make sure you get the relevant sensors to put inside your tyres but if you can don't buy the manufacture's ones as they will be twice the price. Once you have a part number do a search for an OEM version which should be £15-20 per wheel rather than £40ish per wheel which makes it a very expensive business.

Do a check with 'Tire Insight' and your head unit to see if the sensors in my kit will work with your new head. If so it will save you £150-200.

Thanks for your greetings and please accept mine to you and yours.

Good luck with the android head unit and the relevant TPMS. Do make sure you get the relevant sensors to put inside your tyres but if you can don't buy the manufacture's ones as they will be twice the price. Once you have a part number do a search for an OEM version which should be £15-20 per wheel rather than £40ish per wheel which makes it a very expensive business.

Do a check with 'Tire Insight' and your head unit to see if the sensors in my kit will work with your new head. If so it will save you £150-200.
You can get an TPMS System that interfaces with an Android Head unit, including the 4 sensors, for under £50.

Right - you are talking about the screw on valve caps and yes they are MUCH cheaper than the valves that send a signal that you insert into your wheels as per the Tire Insight kit that I was offering you.

I have tried 4 different styles of the valve caps and all kits proved, lets say, 'less than satisfactory'. Partialy due to inaccurate pressure reading but more significantly inadequate communications meaning that I had to often reset the caps to regain contact.

Perhaps the latest versions are better but if you wish to try one type that I still have PM me and I can post a new set to you for the cost of the postage. They should should be able to communicate with your head as they should be ok with an Android phone app . However they have their own display unit that you can suction fit to the dash or screen and as long as it can see the sun will keep itself charged by way of the integrated solar panel. They have been tried on my car but the kit is in effect new.

Last edited:
Right - you are talking about the screw on valve caps and yes they are MUCH cheaper than the valves that send a signal that you insert into your wheels as per the Tire Insight kit that I was offering you.

I have tried 4 different styles of the valve caps and all kits proved, lets say, 'less than satisfactory'. Partialy due to inaccurate pressure reading but more significantly inadequate communications meaning that I had to often reset the caps to regain contact.

Perhaps the latest versions are better but if you wish to try one type that I still have PM me and I can post a new set to you for the cost of the postage. They should should be able to communicate with your head as they should be ok with an Android phone app . However they have their own display unit that you can suction fit to the dash or screen and as long as it can see the sun will keep itself charged by way of the integrated solar panel. They have been tried on my car but the kit is in effect new.
It wasn't myself who was looking for a set, BTW.
Personally I have had TPMS systems that use internal sensors (replacing valves) and external sensors (replacing dust caps) and I have found zero performance issues between the two.
Of the two styles, I actually prefer the external ones, but I know many who think they are problematical. I have not seen that problem and are maybe 50/50 split in terms of the various TPMS setups I had over the last 18 or so years between internal and external versions.

In terms of cost, the kits with Internal sensors are not any more expensive than ones the external sensors.
Where Internal sensors ARE more expensive is when you are stuck with replacing a failed OEM sensor as the dealers charge rediculous prices for them, not reflecting the true cost of them whatsoever.

Merl, if you are looking for an TPMS system that will interface with an Android Head Unit, here are a couple of options to look at:
System using External Sensors - https://amzn.to/4aw0Ahn - £41 (This is the model I use with my Android head Unit)

System using Internal Sensors - https://amzn.to/3RAyZDc - £37 (same Android app and USB connection box, just using the internal sensors instead)

Last edited:
You surprise me Wildebus - my Tire Insight kit (Internal) retailed at £175 whereas I bought external kis for £12 -£20 dependant on type. Prices were a little cheaper than the general UK prices as I tend to buy Chinese products (which is what most kits are) drirect from China via AliExpress so reducing prices.

Out of interest I have just looked on eBay for internal valve prices and was 'gob-smacked' to see that what was £30-£50 a couple of years ago is now £10 for 4 !

I should have checked the market before making what I thought were relevant comments ! Apologies !

Last edited:
You surprise me Wildebus - my Tire Insight kit (Internal) retailed at £175 whereas I bought external kis for £12 -£20 dependant on type. Prices were a little cheaper than the general UK prices as I tend to buy Chinese products (which is what most kits are) drirect from China via AliExpress so reducing prices.

Out of interest I have just looked on eBay for internal valve prices and was 'gob-smacked' to see that what was £30-£50 a couple of years ago is now £10 for 4 !

I should have checked the market before making what I thought were relevant comments ! Apologies !
I am not familiar with the Tire Insight (sounds American with the 'Tire') but if that is a known respected brand as opposed to the kind of kits from Aliexpress for max £20, I could understand a large price differential.
The first TPMS systems I was using were the ORANGE systems with internal Sensors. Well known brand in the USA. Used to buy them from Amazon US at around £100 and hope they were not intercepted by customs!
I could also understand if you were trying the cheapest AliExpress kits why you were disappointed in their performance as they were probably poorly made from the cheapest parts. It is a great marketplace for things that look like the real thing but don't work as well. I think some brands - such as TyrePal - are more careful in selecting what they put their name on. Still made in Chinese factories, but better QA/QC (bit like the Apple iPhones vs the Hokeycokey 1000 .... both made in a chinese factory, but one with more care (hopefully!) than the other).

Sadly it is hard to avoid these kind of products and in many ways they are a disposable item and something you maybe expect to replace on a periodic basis (which is one reason why I like the external sensors ... easy to change batteries and/or change sensors. Far more tricky on internal ones :( )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back