Truma boiler dumping water

I have a Truma 4e from year 2000 and the frost control vent is now not supplied. The instructions say to turn off water pump and empty water heater if frost is forecast.

I don’t see it as one or the other but as both. First line of defence is memory but if unforeseen circumstances prevent draining down then a safety back up might save a lot of time and expense.
if it works I couldn't rely on that

if it works I couldn't rely on that
I don’t think anyone should rely on it, draining down for cold weather is part of owning a motorhome or caravan. However it does no harm to have a safety device because people 1) make mistakes and 2) get caught out by changing circumstances.

I don’t think anyone should rely on it, draining down for cold weather is part of owning a motorhome or caravan. However it does no harm to have a safety device because people 1) make mistakes and 2) get caught out by changing circumstances.
Akin to a plan B, or a a back up.

Alexander Pope famously said

“To err is human — and let’s not forget it”​

And due to this simple fact engineers have factored the above into their designs.
And sadly in the past we have seen the results of not following this mantra.
Soon after many railway accidents the dead man’s switch was designed, and many back ups are now integrated into signalling systems that will override driver error. Of course the consequences here are far worse than a ruined boiler.
But the same principal applies, better to have a back up than not.

And also of course we have loads of MoHo forums all telling us it's drain down time so make sure you visit at least one.

I just have the simple one, common as much here :D :D

Got home last night and drained down this morning.

Mine still dumps the water even if it is practically boiling so I have gone the plastic wedge route on a piece of sheering elastic so it is easily pulled out and not lost.
My wife has strict instructions to remind me to do it which she is very good at doing. One day , maybe, I shall take the thing apart and find out what is wrong with it but just now I have a lift to install in the house so.....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back