True value or Insurance value

Wully

I’ve been looking for a decent second hand MAN tge van for a few months now very hard to come by a decent one that’s not been whipped to death. I managed to find one from a private seller 1 owner small business really well looked after great service history 95 thousand miles not even run in 😉 metallic paint decent speck adaptive cruise control electric everything auto wipers lights sat nav factory tow bar upgraded suspension from factory. Now here’s the hard bit similar vans same year selling from dealers 22k to 25k + vat I can buy this van for just under 18k but when I do a valuation it comes up around 13k and the insurance value is worse around 12k. The valuation seems to be all over the shop.. Any thoughts.

IMHO many " valuations" are all over the shop. Don't know about vans but house valuation sites undervalued every property we have sold. Surely a lot of the value is because it's exactly what you want and at a price lower than actually on sale elsewhere. I suppose you could use the valuation as a negotiating base with the owner. But maybe he used a different valuation site?

TGE is a pretty big range of vans, there's probably 25/30k between the cheapest model and most expensive.
You'd have to know exactly what model the valuations are using

Not something I know much about, what about an agreed value with insurance?
Replacement cost for similar vehicle.

MWB 2.0 bi turbo 3180D 177 hp 95 thousand miles. 2020 plate so four years old. New one same spec £40,000+ vat. My hart says buy it my head says think about it. Tim I think you’re right I’ll need to phone tomorrow. My intentions with this van was to use it as my run around to do estimates then if I can get the motivation do a conversion on it. That’s why I looked for one with good bodywork and service history.

First thing, they’re a bugger to convert, if you look at the VW/MAN van you’ll see that it tapers toward the rear sideways and in height so it’s widest in the middle and each cupboard needs to be bespoke. Second, dealer price will be inflated by a LOT, imagine you had a nice van to p/x and the seller offered you peanuts,you’d walk away insulted so they’ll keep £5 grand or so to inflate your p/x ,however. They have overheads you wouldn’t imagine, stocking charges from bank,premises,parts dept,staff wages etc..they need a high selling figure to keep going. The van you’re interested in is a bit expensive, there is one in auction finishing tomorrow currently £6grand and I;m guessing it will fetch £10 plus vat, it will be bought by a Smaller dealer,they’ll do it up and sell it to someone probably £15 plus because most buyers need finance so have to buy from dealer, if you’re lucky enough to have finance in hand and are vat registered buy from auction and spend a few quid getting it how you want it. I spent most of my life selling trucks btw so I’m not talking rubbish.The one in auction has 54,000 miles btw. IMG_1072.png

I dunno, if you're getting a work van for the lads n' lasses to bung materials and tools in, sure the auction makes sense.
But for the governors van, used for estimates etc, the van with a few comforts, metallic paint and more power would probably swing it for me, especially seeing as the intention is to convert it.

I’ve got loads of time and have my big motorhome that I’ll always keep.. it’s probably just a pipe dream to convert it but I’ve been bored all winter so was looking at this as more of a project for next winter. Do all the external upgrades myself. Then do a decent conversion with high quality electrical system and batteries but pay someone to do that side. No finance or vat on van. Was looking at this as something that will cover a lot of ground quickly and get to places you can’t go with a 9 meter motorhome.

Reactions: REC
I’ve got loads of time and have my big motorhome that I’ll always keep.. it’s probably just a pipe dream to convert it but I’ve been bored all winter so was looking at this as more of a project for next winter. Do all the external upgrades myself. Then do a decent conversion with high quality electrical system and batteries but pay someone to do that side. No finance or vat on van. Was looking at this as something that will cover a lot of ground quickly and get to places you can’t go with a 9 meter motorhome.
So you’re looking for something sexy, this van has 28000 miles,was working until the Co went bust and it’s auto and metallic, I’m an avid auction watcher and hand on heart if I needed to fit out a van I could do it for less than £5k, just this week a boxed new fridge sold for £20 and dozens of Dometic hob/sink combos for around £50, there were even Sargent units for. Pennies, but. It’s addictive if like me you have too much time on your hands.IMG_1073.png

I know you get agreed value on bikes as I do this with the classic bikes I have built, so don't see why you can't get this with a van especially after you have converted it.

What was it upgraded to ? weight. Wise! . Is It's not HGV on log book.

Ashvill said there govs not scraping tax relief on the long deep 4 door cabs on pick up trucks !. So they will still be commercial.

Good choice van is that front wheel drive ?

Jeff its front wheel drive goes like stink it sits so high on the upgraded suspension that it looks 4x4 . It’s LGV on the logbook. If and when the time comes I’ll up rate it for extra payload but only after I do what I want and get it weighed that’s the good thing about having a C1 on driving licence . Bigger set of wheels and tires to fill the arches 19 inch maybe 20s if wheel anrches allow.

Well I’ve spent the weekend cleaning chuffed a couple of wee scratched that I’ve managed to polish out. Ordered some nice 18” wheels and cooper all terrain tyres and some side bars. Tempted to buy the new style led headlights.
IMG_0454.jpeg

Back