Travel to the EU after January 1st

I read that several times...do you take it to mean that, for instance, if you have to overstay due to ferry cancellation, " the competent authorities" have to issue you with a visa or temporary residence. Does seem that some documentation will be required. Wonder whether they would give residence document since there isn't another option already in situ. I don't suppose the member states have yet decided how they will act on this EU recommendation! Be watching with interest. But , as said before, so much can happen by March.
As you say, a lot can happen between now and the end of March but I read it to mean that the stay will be automatically extended without you having to do anything other than prove your ferry was cancelled but time will tell. Elsewhere in the document it also says that any overstay due to Covid will not cause you to be penalised for any future trips to the EU, which is encouraging because, under normal circumstances, they can ban you for up to five years for overstaying! .

Reactions: REC
I nominate Ral to help out with this , just for testing purpose , obviously :p:eek:

@izwozral

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::devilish:

giphy-4.gif

Last edited:
Maybe eventually this sort of thing will make international travel easier. Link

That may be an unwise decision unless the country opening up travel has vaccinated most of its own citizens because we dont know yet if vaccinated people can still spread the virus.

Not a great translation, but reiterates those returning to main residence country are still allowed to transit " in a straight line" ! Not that we plan to be going anywhere but think this illustrates that routes back to UK will still be ok subject to tests and quarantine. No mention of leaving van there and flying back...
Rules reviewed every couple of weeks and we find safe communities Portugal is a good place to get current information.

Last edited:
So we are all gradually becoming "The Prisoners of Covid".
I have no gripe with any of the countries imposing travel restrictions.
Until the vaccine(s) are in place (and shown to be effective) for the vast majority of the population of most European countries (geographically ie UK included)..It is the only way to attempt to decrease the death toll.
It appears therefore that as was the case in April 2020 most air travel is grounded and leisure travel as well
SO BE IT !
Given the current situation It is most unlikely that we will be able to retun to UK this year..As that involves us living in the vehicle.
Probably illegal but more importantly very unpleasant !..I will inform the various rally organisers later but in good time !
No complaints just common sense !

Who would bet on the EU saying the UK vaccines do not comply as the doses were not given within the manufacturers specified times.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back