Travel in EU

Malco

Free Member
Maybe i am just being thick but will ask if its ok as i don't see much happening and i am ready for a trip.

I think you can go yes. Pretty sure there are a few out there touring. Aires etc are open. A lot were saying they were staying in the UK this year though.

France has just closed its border from Spain, according to our van neighbour. Constantly changing picture. So you have to keep up-to-date with what is going on.
However in the last 5 days we have crossed from Hungary into Slovenia to Italy and now in France. All borders were fine, in fact the last two we waved through.

I’ve just checked a variety of European news agencies and government websites and cannot find any statements to the effect that France has closed it’s borders with Spain. I’ll stand corrected if anyone can provide evidence.

Pat

Thanks for your replies my intention for this year was to go as far as Estonia ? I didn't really want to put it off any longer also there was the question about travel insurance as at the beginning of the epidemic it appeared as though it was not possible to purchase any.

I believe your EHIC card will still be valid until December at least. Thats all we ever used, never bothered with travel insurance which is probably a bit daft as one of us nearly always ends up in A&E but then again, the EHIC always covered that.

Hmm well we rolled the dice and have to see how it turns out but negotiations with others that supply our power and feed us will be tricky to say the least. I only took travel insurance out once before on a trip and wondered really why as it seems the only extra benefit is being repatriated ? although it was reassuring for me as i travel on my own. Will ring AIB also and check if i need green card and ask their opinion also, But they didn't do travel insurance last i asked.

Worth bearing in mind that travel insurance will be invalid if travelling against FCO advice. At the moment most EU countries are on the acceptable list, see FCO advice, notable exceptions being Serbia and Portugal. Spain alledgedly may be removed from the list soon.

Thanks for your replies my intention for this year was to go as far as Estonia ? I didn't really want to put it off any longer also there was the question about travel insurance as at the beginning of the epidemic it appeared as though it was not possible to purchase any.

Enjoy trip.
Allow a bit of time for the Saxon Switzerland National Park, south east of Dresden, if you are going that way.

Masurian Lake District area north east Poland is stunning too.

Just on the news today,from jan 2021 you will require a green card for republic of Ireland and that includes drivers from the north also.

Last edited:
I’ve just checked a variety of European news agencies and government websites and cannot find any statements to the effect that France has closed it’s borders with Spain. I’ll stand corrected if anyone can provide evidence.

Pat
Got cooking dinner so I didn’t verify ... hence saying that our neighbour told me. I’ve just looked and can’t see anything to confirm closure either. Sorry if I worried anyone.

Got cooking dinner so I didn’t verify ... hence saying that our neighbour told me. I’ve just looked and can’t see anything to confirm closure either. Sorry if I worried anyone.

Whilst the border remains open, closure has been considered recently. Link and link

It appears Estonia and Latvia are not on the list of passage back here without isolation. Like i said i am not very bright so does that mean its not a good idea to enter these countries in the first place or having done so since it will take longer than the period of isolation to return all is fine or would there be problems coming back into Lithuania then Poland ?.

Looks like the Lithuania/Poland border is open.

I think the best approach is keep checking gov.uk foreign travel advice, and also keep searching info on border crossings with whichever search engine you choose (formally known as google )

Keep up to date with info checks and most important, prepare to be flexible. Things change very quickly these days. If I were heading that way in the van, I’d probably carry a bit more food than normal, top up water more frequently, etc. Just proceed pretty much as usual, with the knowledge you have prepared as much as possible.

As to if it’s a good idea, well, who knows. I’d certainly go.

If you are in your motorhome..I see no effectiive way that you can be told to isolate as they do not know whre you have been (except France ! or similar).
As has been posted check FCO daily and maybe sign up for notifications fro all countries you are likly to pass through

How many drivers ? How many people.
Have an emergency plan !
My perspective says Germany is best ..lots of stellplatz and low covid-19
The Baltic states look good as well (except Sweden..I know it is Scandinavia)
Poland moderate but a big country so should be OK

BUT it can all change...What if Germany or Poland were to close their borders ?
I appreciate that is a bit like "not going out in case you are hit by a bus and then your house collapses with you inside !"

hi
Wondering about accom availability .. Airs mostly .
Around Vendee ... anyone about there now? or coast around Bezier??

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back