Travel Beans fire

Life doesn't end when you retire, but unfortunately health issues often stop people doing what they planned. More likely as one gets older to find this....I always say if you can fit adventures in and find a way to afford them... don't wait at any age! Great that @Sailorpedal can do it but many lose their travelling companion, get sick etc scuppering or changing their dreams. We have been lucky and able to take advantage of retirement despite ( and sometimes because of....incentive) health issues.
When I was 24 we left jobs and took off for our first round europe trip, when I was 33 we where off again but this was our first round the world trip. I now realise that it was definatly the thing to do, health was not an issue to worry about. Nowadays I try not to let my health interfere, but would be a fool if I thought I could carry on regardless as I did back then.
As you say, if you get the chance just do it.

Thats ok if funds allow, here in N Ireland we got paid a pittance at work compared to what the English got, so apart from just getting by on very little you had to up sticks and migrate, I didn't and still have no money. 😂

lack of money needn't hold you back if you're prepared to work . we went to France in a 200 quid van with 3 kids and 150 quid in my pocket ,got in with some goat farmers in the alps and built kitchens and bathrooms for cash .squatted a house in a deserted Provence village owned by parisian hippies ,then after a couple of years back to blighty for another child and another old banger then off to portugal arriving with £25 . it's all a state of mind . the kids apparently found it more interesting than school

lack of money needn't hold you back if you're prepared to work . we went to France in a 200 quid van with 3 kids and 150 quid in my pocket ,got in with some goat farmers in the alps and built kitchens and bathrooms for cash .squatted a house in a deserted Provence village owned by parisian hippies ,then after a couple of years back to blighty for another child and another old banger then off to portugal arriving with £25 . it's all a state of mind . the kids apparently found it more interesting than school
Id go for that but the wife would kill at the first mention of no house, as John Lennon said, possessions are 9/10 of our problems.

I had a look there but didn't see any threads about this occurance.
Having said that, what you described I fully believe having been a member there for just over a year and seeing some "funsters" comments about other things :(

(they are not all like that of course, but it does set the tone of the forum sadly and the owner/mods do little to change it).
I left that forum and came here. Some quite unpleasant people there all the way to the top. I had many racist comments from them after moving to France.

I left that forum and came here. Some quite unpleasant people there all the way to the top. I had many racist comments from them after moving to France.
Lucky you are not from my neck of the woods, we north & south get it all the time, water of a ducks back for me.

There is a thread on it on MHF, and some of the posts weren’t very positive shall we say. But I’m surprised the OP was that put out tbh.

Don't want to say too much about MHF, as I’m still very friendly with a number of its members even after Jim banned me 😁

I'm on MHF and haven't seen that one. Do you have a link? (PM me if you prefer)

Ah I see. Wrong MHF - I'm on MHFacts not MHFun. Thanks anyway though, I'll give it a read (y)

It's a British thing to criticise someone for having the temerity to seek adventures or be a bit different, especially when it goes wrong. Maybe some people do it out of jealousy.

I don't think it will put them off as they said they have done numerous trips in Europe and the USA previously. Good luck to them.

I've followed this lovely young couple on YouTube for some time and they post some great videos of their travels, it's such a shame the fire ruined their plans but I'm sure they'll bounce back. The day after the fire they were even able to smile as it got rid of the mysterious smell.

From "The Endless Adventure" channel -- the American friends they planned to tour with -- it seems that the Beans are now back in UK. Frank was insured, so they should get something back from that, even though they'll probably have to wait for some time. AFAICT, the Beans plan to try again, although next time they probably won't have Eric and Allison on hand to help.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back