Travel Beans fire

Sailorpedal

Free Member
I was quite appalled at the negative comments regarding the horrific burning of the Travel Beans newly acquired (old) van in the U.S.
If you haven't seen it, it is newly released on YouTube, so watch it first then read the comments on that other "great" Motorhome forum.
You know the one, where everything is supposed to be "fun, fun, fun".

A link would be nice :D :D
Here you go. So sad that "Frank" is no more, but at least it happened the day before they were going to 'move in' and so they didn't lose their passports, computers, etc. As they said, it seems that naming a van brings them no luck whatever as their first attempt at a VW camper turned out to be a death trap and the VW they left in UK hadn't been named. I was amazed how quickly the fire service turned up and extinguished the blaze even though only a shell remained.

Wow!, that's terrible, I would be thinking that if they hadn't touched the wiring in anyway since picking it up from the garage I'd be having a word with them and perhaps claim on their insurance, not sure how it works over there though.

given the way the fire was going, I would for sure suspect fuel hose/lines to be the culprit, especially as all these old US RVs are petrol engined and so very easily ignitable.

Yes it was awful, but what I was appalled about was the lack of empathy from the denizens of that other motorhome forum!
Perhaps their idea of a "Fun" forum is to criticise those more unfortunate than themselves?

Don’t like they’re YouTube stuff or them particularly but it is a shame. As has been said they’re gona be back with a better van and more clickbait adventures. Best of luck to them.

I like that they are doing it, not waiting till they're 65 and wishing they had, and they seem like a nice enough couple, all Tubers are a bit in your face anyway.

I had to deal with a fire in our old LHD Dethleffs Globetrotter. Fridge was the culprit, and as the SS sink drainer was above top of fridge, it was not an easy task to deal with. Everything happens so fast. I was outside and wondered what the reek was spewing out the fridge vent. On seeing what was happening, Bea out (she was cooking) of MH, then to gas locker to isolate gas, then tackle the fire, which I manage to extinguish before it took a good hold. The dry powder extinguishers make a hell of a mess, took an age to thoroughly remove.

Overall though, no one hurt, all material damage, which could have been a lot worse as this happened within a remote area of Glen Garry. Like Cale, I am not a bean fan, I do feel their pain, tho.

I like that they are doing it, not waiting till they're 65 and wishing they had, and they seem like a nice enough couple, all Tubers are a bit in your face anyway.
I turn 80 in 5 days time, I've just fitted out a Sprinter van - all mod cons including shower, cassette toilet, hob, oven, fridge, wardrobe, sink, re-fillable gas, solar panels, swivelling seats - in other words the works! It took me a bit longer to do it, but I got there in the end!
Now we're off to "Live the dream" - as it were. Life doesn't have to end when you retire!
However, don't expect any YouTube videos from me - my wife and I just want to relax, and spend more than an hour in each place, instead of constantly driving from roadside park-up to public toilets or cafes to buy a breakfast.
We had our first campervan - an ex army Bedford ambulance in 1970, and always go to CL's or CS's in the UK, but we also love the French Aires,
You might also find us paddling our inflatable canoe in the sea, (we had to give up the tandem and the sailing dinghies due to advancing years - sail or pedal - Sailorpedal - get it?)
We've driven to Spain several times in the past, but I find now that shorter distances are enough. Even French roads have become busier over the years.
Of course one major benefit of being retired is the ability to go away when all the Grockles have gone back to work!
So now is our time, we couldn't do it when we were younger - pressures of work and lack of money etc.
Sorry to bore you all with the life history!

I turn 80 in 5 days time, I've just fitted out a Sprinter van - all mod cons including shower, cassette toilet, hob, oven, fridge, wardrobe, sink, re-fillable gas, solar panels, swivelling seats - in other words the works! It took me a bit longer to do it, but I got there in the end!
Now we're off to "Live the dream" - as it were. Life doesn't have to end when you retire!
However, don't expect any YouTube videos from me - my wife and I just want to relax, and spend more than an hour in each place, instead of constantly driving from roadside park-up to public toilets or cafes to buy a breakfast.
We had our first campervan - an ex army Bedford ambulance in 1970, and always go to CL's or CS's in the UK, but we also love the French Aires,
You might also find us paddling our inflatable canoe in the sea, (we had to give up the tandem and the sailing dinghies due to advancing years - sail or pedal - Sailorpedal - get it?)
We've driven to Spain several times in the past, but I find now that shorter distances are enough. Even French roads have become busier over the years.
Of course one major benefit of being retired is the ability to go away when all the Grockles have gone back to work!
So now is our time, we couldn't do it when we were younger - pressures of work and lack of money etc.
Sorry to bore you all with the life history!
Not bored at all, tell us your tales while away, I'd be off too but too many commitments for a little while, hoping all to be a sorted by end of June.

Life doesn't end when you retire, but unfortunately health issues often stop people doing what they planned. More likely as one gets older to find this....I always say if you can fit adventures in and find a way to afford them... don't wait at any age! Great that @Sailorpedal can do it but many lose their travelling companion, get sick etc scuppering or changing their dreams. We have been lucky and able to take advantage of retirement despite ( and sometimes because of....incentive) health issues.

I was quite appalled at the negative comments regarding the horrific burning of the Travel Beans newly acquired (old) van in the U.S.
If you haven't seen it, it is newly released on YouTube, so watch it first then read the comments on that other "great" Motorhome forum.
You know the one, where everything is supposed to be "fun, fun, fun".
I had a look there but didn't see any threads about this occurance.
Having said that, what you described I fully believe having been a member there for just over a year and seeing some "funsters" comments about other things :(

(they are not all like that of course, but it does set the tone of the forum sadly and the owner/mods do little to change it).

I had a look there but didn't see any threads about this occurance.
Having said that, what you described I fully believe having been a member there for just over a year and seeing some "funsters" comments about other things :(

(they are not all like that of course, but it does set the tone of the forum sadly and the owner/mods do little to change it).
There is a thread on it on MHF, and some of the posts weren’t very positive shall we say. But I’m surprised the OP was that put out tbh.

Don't want to say too much about MHF, as I’m still very friendly with a number of its members even after Jim banned me 😁

given the way the fire was going, I would for sure suspect fuel hose/lines to be the culprit, especially as all these old US RVs are petrol engined and so very easily ignitable.
Yes, I thought it must be the fuel line and it was probably plastic hose judging how it quickly spread from the front to a line of flame underneath.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back