TRANSPORTER BRIDGE

I was gonna say you were wrong and it was Lake Como. I used to see him when I was going out with Shakira who had a place next door.

This was taken outside Georges place on Como. Shakira reckons he was a right wanker.

in your dreams

in your dreams

Im a Rock Star remember. I live the dream!!
rUcFndIoGheASCZbyvGb.gif

I would have loved to see the scaffolding that they used to install the 4 uprights.
And how they built the span.
Here are a few photos of the “ Tranny” during the construction of it, I was born about half a mile from it and it was our adventure playground when we were young.

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpeg
    IMG_0477.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1586.jpeg
    IMG_1586.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1235.jpeg
    IMG_1235.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1034.jpeg
    IMG_1034.jpeg
    560.8 KB · Views: 46
Another "tranny" bridge. Portugalete (near Bilboa Spain)
The Vizcaya Bridge.
It carries a gondola 24/7 across the river and back
The gondola can transport six cars and several dozen passengers in just one and a half minutes each way.
It operates every 8 minutes during the day (every hour at night), all year round, with different fares for day and night services. An estimated four million passengers and half a million vehicles use the bridge annually.

We "stumbled" upon it back in 2018 while on a biking holiday (we were looking for somewhere to stay before our ferry back via Santander the next day) so we stayed in the "Gran Hotel Puente Colgante" Portugalete.. where I took the first photo from our Penthouse room late in the evening.
Second photo is her-indoors (The Gondola is the one in the background :LOL: )

I thoroughly recommend that anyone travelling nearby visits this place if you are in the vicinity.

Attachments

• IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    499 KB · Views: 53
The actor Terry Scott (Terry & June; several Carry On films and the voice of Penfold in Danger Mouse) once drove his car off the end of the Transporter Bridge late at night, believing it to be a “normal” bridge.

I drove* the one in Newport, south Wales back in the early 70's when I was a nipper. We went across it as we only lived around 8 miles from it.

* By drove I mean that the bloke who ran it let me press the button to start it.

The actor Terry Scott (Terry & June; several Carry On films and the voice of Penfold in Danger Mouse) once drove his car off the end of the Transporter Bridge late at night, believing it to be a “normal” bridge.

By far his best work I must say.

Been on the Bilbao one and also the Rochefort one.

Bilbao the shorter ride of the two and not as tall as the Rochefort example, which had to permit the French navy to pass under it.

Like Tower Bridge in London, you can pay a chunky premium to take a trip up and visit the ramparts of the Bilbao bridge.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back