TRANSPORTER BRIDGE

Disco Duck

Finally I got to see the Transporter Bridge Sheila and I always planned to visit .
Unfortunately Sheila passed away just before covid 19 hit.
Nearest we got was Redcar .
Not realising it was only 10 miles further North nr Middlesbrough.
I headed towards Seaton Carew? .
There it stood spanning the river Tee's since 1911 Big Blue and Proud .
The Gondala is out of action at the moment .
Being Sunday everything was shut so I managed to park the camper on the access road for 20 mins while I had a nose around.
I think the visiter centre is open on a Tuesday but I could be wrong.
20231119_125410.jpg

Finally I got to see the Transporter Bridge Sheila and I always planned to visit .
Unfortunately Sheila passed away just before covid 19 hit.
Nearest we got was Redcar .
Not realising it was only 10 miles further North nr Middlesbrough.
I headed towards Seaton Carew? .
There it stood spanning the river Tee's since 1911 Big Blue and Proud .
The Gondala is out of action at the moment .
Being Sunday everything was shut so I managed to park the camper on the access road for 20 mins while I had a nose around.
I think the visiter centre is open on a Tuesday but I could be wrong.View attachment 125097
20231119_131331.jpg

I can remember going across it once as a child in a car in the early to mid 70s. It was a bit of an adventure I guess then.

An old apprentice of mine doing a bungee jump from bridge. Big daftie!!

Despite living in Co. Durham and Teesside, all I've ever done is travel across on the platform.
However, I did walk across the one at Newport (when I was younger).

For those heading to Spain, Bilbao also boasts a transporter bridge.

Gordon

One of the funniest things ever was in 2002 when series 3 of Auf Wiedersehen Pet featured the bridge being sold, dismantled and rebuilt over a canyon in Arizona some of the locals actually thought it was real. 🤣

Last edited:
One of the funnies things ever was in 2002 when series 3 of Auf Wiedersehen Pet featured the bridge being sold, dismantled and rebuilt over a canyon in Arizona some of the locals actually thought it was real. 🤣

I had a cracking night in my local with the cast of Auf Wiedersehen Pet in my (at the time) local pub.

They were filming nearby apparently, it was a bit surreal when they all walked in together but they were really friendly and liked a drink!

I had a cracking night in my local with the cast of Auf Wiedersehen Pet in my (at the time) local pub.

They were filming nearby apparently, it was a bit surreal when they all walked in together but they were really friendly and liked a drink!

Wow! That would have been brilliant. Im on the AWP FB group (yes there really is one). I wonder if that was season 2 or 1. Some of season 1 was filmed around London and season 2 Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire I think. Loved those two series. Watched them many times.

Wow! That would have been brilliant. Im on the AWP FB group (yes there really is one). I wonder if that was season 2 or 1. Some of season 1 was filmed around London and season 2 Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire I think. Loved those two series. Watched them many times.

Probably would have been Season 2 Barry as back then I lived in the village of Kegworth which is right on the Leicestershire/Derbyshire border.

I also once inadvertently wondered across the set of 'Crocodile shoes' whilst I was drunk. They were filming at Kings Cross station at the time and I wondered why this woman was beckoning me over to talk to her. She said "much as we would like to have you on the show, it's not in the script"

I hadn't got a clue what she was talking about and then she pointed out the cameras and Jimmy Nail p1ssing himself laughing. :(

Probably would have been Season 2 Barry as back then I lived in the village of Kegworth which is right on the Leicestershire/Derbyshire border.

I also once inadvertently wondered across the set of 'Crocodile shoes' whilst I was drunk. They were filming at Kings Cross station at the time and I wondered why this woman was beckoning me over to talk to her. She said "much as we would like to have you on the show, it's not in the script"

I hadn't got a clue what she was talking about and then she pointed out the cameras and Jimmy Nail p1ssing himself laughing. :(

Must have been. Thornley Manor and The Barley Mow pub was just up the road from there I believe.

Jimmy nail is one helluva ugly M fooker .. me-thinks you would have been brilliant as his stunt double Rob :LOL:

Jimmy nail is one helluva ugly M fooker .. me-thinks you would have been brilliant as his stunt double Rob :LOL:

I'll have you know I'm fekkin gorgeous Tim.

George Clooney wanted me as his stunt double but his agent said no as I'm just too damned good looking!

I would have loved to see the scaffolding that they used to install the 4 uprights.
And how they built the span.

I'll have you know I'm fekkin gorgeous Tim.

George Clooney wanted me as his stunt double but his agent said no as I'm just too damned good looking!
that's because Clooney had already met me earlier when Joy and I stayed in his "local" by lake Garda Italy a few years ago in 2017 mate

Attachments

• IMG_9469.JPG
    IMG_9469.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9483.JPG
    IMG_9483.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 45
that's because Clooney had already met me earlier when Joy and I stayed in his "local" by lake Garda Italy a few years ago in 2017 mate

You sure that was him Tim?

Looks like he can't even spell his own name in the first picture.

You sure that was him Tim?

Looks like he can't even spell his own name in the first picture.
it was him Rob. Apparently he has a property just in walking distance. There were loads of photos of him in the bar and he drinks and eats there. Clooney is a keen biker. He was probably pissed up when he signed his name. The "hotel" if you can call it that, is a right moth-eaten place 2nd star place. But the food and the view over the lake was great
sorry.. it wasn't Lake Garda it was Lake Como. The hotel was called Hotel Fioroni. Me and Joy stayed there after riding through Switzerland before meeting up with Bri and Daz in Lake Garda in Italy.

Attachments

• IMG_9471.JPG
    IMG_9471.JPG
    507.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9460.JPG
    IMG_9460.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 35
it was him Rob. Apparently he has a property just in walking distance. There were loads of photos of him in the bar and he drinks and eats there. Clooney is a keen biker. He was probably pissed up when he signed his name. The "hotel" if you can call it that, is a right moth-eaten place 2nd star place. But the food and the view over the lake was great
sorry.. it wasn't Lake Garda it was Lake Como. The hotel was called Hotel Fioroni. Me and Joy stayed there after riding through Switzerland before meeting up with Bri and Daz in Lake Garda in Italy.

I was gonna say you were wrong and it was Lake Como. I used to see him when I was going out with Shakira who had a place next door.

This was taken outside Georges place on Como. Shakira reckons he was a right wanker.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back