Transit - leaking a clear fluid

whitevanwoman

Over the past couple of weeks I've noticed a leak under the engine - not a massive leak, a spot around 3 - 4 inches in diameter after standing a couple of days.

I stuck some newspaper underneath it to check it and the fluid is clear and is an oil based liquid.

I haven't noticed any problems whilst driving.

The leak is roughly underneath the passenger seat (the one closest to the window). I can see underneath the rough area of where it's coming from but can't see exactly where.

Any idea what could be leaking? And how urgent a job is it? I could take it to a local garage a mile away and pay through the nose for it to be sorted or I could drive 50 miles to my trusted cheap Transit mechanic (and I'm planning to visit friends in a few days and the Transit mechanic would only be about 5 miles off my route to visit them).

So is it safe to do an hour's motorway drive or should I not drive it except to the local mechanic?

Hi Jess

Just to let you know Matts on holiday this week. Not sure when hes back.

He helped us out last week and did a marvellous job ....all you said and more.

He has also moved down the road to Moss Lane Little Hoole Preston PR4 4SY Tel 01772 615551.

Hope you get sorted

regards

Rob

hi could it be power steering fluid? check all your reservious to see if any have dropped, brake fluid,power steering fluid, water, some transits loose cooling water from the oil cooler, its just a small ribbed bit in front of the engine at the bottom, mine leaked for a couple of years before i had it changed.

check to see if the brake pedal is still hard and hasnt gone spoongy , there the most important thing to check before you drive it anywere.

tranivanman

does your van have air con.? If so this may be what it is.
seamus.

Ty everyone for advice, am going to get under bonnet tonight with the Haynes manual and do some detective work. I'll start with checking fluid levels as suggested.

Amethyst, glad you got sorted with Matt, he's a star, definitely worth a 50 mile drive.

does your van have air con.? If so this may be what it is.
seamus.

Ha ha, yes, my air con is my window :D

No air con apart from standard heating / cooling blown air in the cab.

hi

could be clutch slave cylinder to ,have a look at bottom of gearbox

Ha bloody ha :nospam:

I may not know much about diesel engines but I'm not gormless. Cheeky git :p

Ha bloody ha :nospam:

I may not know much about diesel engines but I'm not gormless. Cheeky git :p

Are you sure ?

Your location is cloud cuckoo land !

Mirror , check , more make-up , manouvre :D

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ducks >>>>>>>> hoping to avoid brick laden handbag

Are you sure ?

More like a round from a.762 in your tabs ..you should read wvws background !!! served Queen and Country ...sorry maam !!!....Stevenj abrick laden handbag would be a blessing .!! WVW has more balls than a chinese state juggler !
channa

More like a round from a.762 in your tabs ..you should read wvws background !!! served Queen and Country ...sorry maam !!!....Stevenj abrick laden handbag would be a blessing .!! WVW has more balls than a chinese state juggler !
channa

It was 9mm for us ladies and officers back in the day - and not allowed to carry arms (officially) at all in NI. But trained in 762.

No need for a brick laden hand bag, got 2 dogs instead. Trained savage killers ;-)

Balls maybe, but I keep dropping them all the time....

Are you sure ?

Make up??? !!! :scared: :lol-049:

Didn't get a chance to get a proper look this evening, just another quick look underneath. No fresh leak today, so will run engine and pump brakes tomorrow to see what happens.

But had new brake pads and pipes last autumn after brake seized due to old pipe being damaged.

Still not found source of leak but all fluid levels ok.

Its leaking approx 1 drip every day. Definitely clear oil based fluid but not thick like oil. No obvious smell to it. Running engine makes no difference neither does pumping brakes so I don't think its brake fluid or brake pipes, especially as they are new recently.

Time to sit down with Mr Haynes for an hour.

Sorted :)

Thanks to Mr Haynes and my neighbour who noticed that the fluid was diesel, the problem was identified as being a loose fuel filter. Its now been screwed firmly back in, and I shall keep an eye on it. Am going to book in for oil filter and oil change and fuel filter check next week with my trusted Transit mechanic and will ask him to show me how to do it so I can do it myself in future.

Isn't it lovely when a repair only takes 10 seconds and costs nothing. Much relieved to be able to use the van again, so much so that I may go for a drive and possibly a local overnight somewhere just because I can and it's another lovely evening.

Thanks for the advice, it's forced me to learn where all the various fluids are and to learn how to eliminate possibilities and therefore be able to diagnose problems. I also forced me to check all fluid levels and top up coolant which was on minimum. Another lesson learned - I really must start doing regular under bonnet checks.

sorted

Nice to see that after people try to help the op tells others its sorted and how it was done. I have seen a lot of posts lately that have not done this so everyone is left in the dark after trying to help. the solution may help others at some time.

I think though you may have another problem please see doc about nose if deisal has no obvious smell:giggle:

glad it is solved:dance:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back