Towing out of the mud / wet grass

The shackles shown in the ebay post don't look up to the 8 tonne capacity of the strap. How big are they?

No idea. Designed to go with the strength of the strop I would hope. If they look crap ill see about getting some heavier ones. It should be here by the time I go off to Armitage Trailers a week on Monday so ill ask them.

You forgot the ground anchor. Buy and carry that lot for something that may never happen. Give the local farmer £10 cheaper and far easier.

I must admit that in my 4x4 days we didn't bother with ground anchors. We just put a strop on the spare wheel and buried it. .

When I still had my Shogun with chunky tyres I pulled lots of big motorhomes off muddy fields. The biggest problem is idiots who keep digging when they should look for help.
I had (still have) heavy duty straps and shackles. Good idea for everyone to stand well clear when trying to move really stuck vans.

Today I have discovered the towing eye kit in my new van and located where it goes. The Tyres on this big heavy beast look nice and grippy but given my love for parking off grid on grass is it worth carrying a tow rope, heavy duty ratchet strap type or one of those heavy duty elasticated ones or none at all! I did find an old thread on here and it was quite useful but also highlighted how dodgy it can be.

Any recommendations or should I just call recovery? Van is 4250kg max.
your old van was 3.5t? I am guessing you have confirmed your breakdown/recovery covers the new van with the greater weight?

your old van was 3.5t? I am guessing you have confirmed your breakdown/recovery covers the new van with the greater weight?

Too right I have. Paid a small fortune for insurance and breakdown compared to the old van. Full recovery at home, UK, 8m+ and any weight and Europe and for what I paid I expect 5 star hotel accommodation and groupies on tap should I get stuck in the mud! :love: I have checked and all that is covered. Special Rock Star policy. None of you lot can have it.

Too right I have. Paid a small fortune for insurance and breakdown compared to the old van. Full recovery at home, UK, 8m+ and any weight and Europe and for what I paid I expect 5 star hotel accommodation and groupies on tap should I get stuck in the mud! :love: I have checked and all that is covered. Special Rock Star policy. None of you lot can have it.
how much did you pay then? most of us seem to pay around £156 a year for full breakdown and recovery in UK and Europe, but that includes personal travel insurance and mobile phone insurance as well :)

Sometimes a spade comes in handy, but a mate with an LC and a winch is always handier.

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 18.46.52.png

IMG_0428.JPG

my worst nightmare was on t'algarve . my rear wheel sunk up to the axle on a rainy day . no probs - light stove ,kettle on and wait for passing tractor or 4x4
next thing ,bang on the door . local bloke come to help, he's brought 2 shovels !
not enough lingo to tell him my plan ,or to ask him to bugger off , so i ended up digging pointlessly for best part of an hour till the inevitable tractor came by and sorted me out in minutes

I had the misfortune to drive a Toyota 4WD in the Middle East and was flagged down by every bogged down Arab. That is why I carried a few helpful items to help them out.

I went on leave and my vehicle was given to an idiot. The first time he 'helped out', he melted the clutch and distorted the flywheel due to the heat from the clutch. :(

how much did you pay then? most of us seem to pay around £156 a year for full breakdown and recovery in UK and Europe, but that includes personal travel insurance and mobile phone insurance as well :)

I cant remember now. It was a mad time. It all happened so fast. The new van was incoming and the old one was still here, we had no idea if the new one would fit on the drive, need to go in storage or would need to be parked on the road in front of the house. In the end I paid for insurance which included full breakdown at home and parked on the drive or in storage which was about £640 or something. I then realised we would need cover for the roadside so that was another £150+ so about £800. Not sure how much of that is breakdown cover but I think its around what you said. AIB seemed to be the only ones that could offer roadside parking.

En-route to the tunnel March this year, I was on a CL just of the A1, first time using the straps, for North sea rig use to secure and lower sub-sea paraphernalia to the murky depths of the North Sea.

Very handy, so too having a tree surgeon business in the village.

A compressor can also be very handy Mark.

Yes, very handy, essential if you do tracks, even if just for comfort.

Not being too lazy to use it helps too. The only reason the green van got stuck in the sand was because I couldn't be bothered to air down tyres. I never learn :ROFLMAO:
Also I knew a winch was around.
Once down to 20psi that van flew over the dunes.
Still using a 20+ year old Viair, but one of these is on the wish list.

CKMTPxx.jpg

Back